PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Defensive game plan in the Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defensive strategy wasn't that bad. There were plenty of opportunities for the Defense to get off the field, they just blew it with poor tackling. I was getting so mad during the game because open space tackling is usually something this team excels at. Wrapping a player up and stopped the YAC. There were 8 or 9 missed open space tackles that I saw that just killed us. If we had hit 50% of those, we would have stopped several Eagle drives.

The other thing was Richards. He's a smart guy, but slow and doesn't have the ability to change course once he has made even the slightest on field commitment to a play. I just watched him try to shift back into coverage so many times only to have his guy blow past him. That horse needs to be taken out back and shot.

When it was apparent the defensive game plan sucked, still no adjustments. Still had 3 players playing out of position, Butler on the bench.

Keeping Butler on the bench after halftime was just as damning and mind boggling

Why are people putting the blame solely on Belichick? Doesn't Matt Patricia shoulder a share of the blame here for crappy adjustments?

When it was apparent the defensive game plan sucked, still no adjustments. Still had 3 players playing out of position, Butler on the bench.

Keeping Butler on the bench after halftime was just as damning and mind boggling

I think belichick made up his mind that Butler was not going in no matter what.

Translation: Belichick was concerned about Philly's run game (Blount/Ajayi), and was daring Foles to beat him (cough: choke) through the air.

End result: Foles killed our defense through the air. We got fcked.

Last edited:
Translation: Belichick was concerned with Philly's run game (Blount/Ajayi), and was counting on Foles to beat him (cough: choke) through the air.

We also got beat on the ground, so didn't even reach our first goal. It was just a massacre all around. We just need to hand it to Philly. Their offense kicked our @ss.

Greg Beddard has a great breakdown of how the defense broke down and he highlights the complete misuse of Marquis Flowers as exhibit A.

Greg Beddard has a great breakdown of how the defense broke down and he highlights the complete misuse of Marquis Flowers as exhibit A.

Exactly - Patricia consistently used the wrong Flowers to rush the passer.

If they used this game plan in the Kansas City game, its insanity to think that it worked so well that time that they should use it again... in the SUPER BOWL.

On a side note, any game plan (or package) that involved Jordan Richards being on the field should be avoided at all costs.

Belichick's defensive game plan against the Giants is in the Hall of Fame.

This one won't be, unless it's rolled up for use in the men's washroom.

Koppen made a funny (but probably correct) point on the Ex-Pats podcast that Bademosi and Richards should have "taken one for the team" and "pulled a hammy" or something in warmups.

People forget that game plan is in the HOF also because BB had Lawrence freaking Taylor on the team, like how also having one of the best QB ever helps him as well....I bet that giants team gave up 40+ points in that SB with the players we had this past sunday with the same plan.

BB's very overrated as a defensive guy lately. He could have taken over the defense anytime from Patricia. The fact that butler didn't see any snaps on defense is ridiculous! I feel for the offense and brady. The coaching was so damn inept on Sunday.

I don't subscribe (yet), so could you provide a synopsis for us cheapskates?

Great idea for a thread, there haven’t been enough of these game day thread extensions.

Translation: Belichick was concerned with Philly's run game (Blount/Ajayi), and was counting on Foles to beat him (cough: choke) through the air.

Agreed. Not enough respect for Nick Foles from our coaching staff.

Apart from Butler's ridiculous total benching, Philly's risk-taking on 4th downs added 11 points to their total. So even when the defense had done its job (as normally read), they were called upon to come through beyond the call-of-duty. Those two 4th downs were killers for the Pats, esp the almost stupidly risky 4th quarter one.

Why are people putting the blame solely on Belichick? Doesn't Matt Patricia shoulder a share of the blame here for crappy adjustments?
BB is the coach, he approves those calls and is part of the game plan. I find it odd when people keep credting for great when things work but want the coordinators fired when they dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back