SOURCE:NESN

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Giants
Thu
Aug 29th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Strong Showing
Another dominating defensive performance by the Patriots as they continue to look strong during their win Thursday night over Carolina.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Patriots and Kap

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by sb1, Feb 15, 2019.

1. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,804
    As far as NE signing Kaepernick, it would come down to two things:
    • Money.
    • Playing style. Can he run something that resembles the Patriots offense under Brady?
    Even if he signed, he's too old to be the QBOTF here, especially if Brady plays three more years. Moreover, he'd have essentially zero chance of winning the starting job.

• Like Like x 1
  2. YOUGOTMOSSED

YOUGOTMOSSED In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5,581
    So this scrub is rapidly approaching a nine figure net worth simply by crying "racism"? What a country!:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Steve:Section 102

Steve:Section 102 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,296
    No, he was going to uncover the league's dirty laundry in open court. I think @Biffins is right, and they would've paid anything to keep it out of court.

I also think if Tom had gotten them to court, we might have seen the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the league's dark and dirty secrets. This would've put the spotlight on all of it. I'll paint with a very broad brush and say he could have brought the league down. Who knows what they would've found. Collusion, race issues, cover ups on the concussion issue, who knows? But I will wager that it would've been ugly. Real ugly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +8,256
    That logic is a false dichotomy.

The collusion issue is not about whether or not Kaepernick is an elite QB on the same level as Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc.

The collusion issue is about Kaepernick's abilities supposedly being so bad that he was not given a workout, while players like Nathan Peterman, Josh Johnson, Mark Sanchez, Taylor Heinicke and others were somehow able to find their ways onto NFL rosters.

Yes, many BLM backers overstate Kaepernick's abilities. By the same token, many flag wavers understate the same. Josh Johnson had not thrown a pass in seven years; how is that not an issue, but Kaepernick's three year absence is too long? Nathan Peterman set NFL records for his incompetent play en route to a TD:INT ratio of 1:7 - and got picked up by another team after being cut. Yet Kaepernick doesn't get a phone call from the same team?

If the tape, stats and resumes for guys like Peterman, Johnson, Sanchez and Heinicke were far superior, then Kaepernick's lawsuit would have been thrown out.

If the NFL had nothing to hide they would have proceeded with the court case. Their hypocrisy was on full display when the league offices became terrified of the prospect of having to hand over their phones and emails for the public to see.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. YOUGOTMOSSED

Ratings:
    +5,581
    Who knows?

I'm personally an "evidence based" type of guy and prefer not to make judgments based on sheer speculation. I understand most people don't think this way

6. Steve:Section 102

Ratings:
    +2,296
    I am a child of the Nixon administration. I believe people in power will lie when the truth will do a better job and will 100% cover up those lies. I firmly believe the NFL is among the most corrupt companies there is, and, given the opportunity, will do whatever the hell they want, and then cover up chit they don't want the general public, players, or most importantly, the players lawyers to know. If I wasn't so emotionally invested in the Patriots, I would bail on the league.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
  7. Steve:Section 102

Ratings:
    +2,296
    good freakin' post.

8. TB_Helmet

TB_Helmet In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,687
    Deflategate was exhibit A in that by the way. The sad thing is how the league was able to convince a sizeable amount of the public that they weren’t doing what you said in your post.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Steve:Section 102

Ratings:
    +2,296
    I think if this thing went to court, they would've uncovered an amazing amount of damning information on the league. they had no choice but to settle. That way they could continue to say "nothing to see here" and people would believe it.

D-gate was a witch hunt because the union gave the commissioner absolute power to suspend players how he saw fit. It wasn't about stupid air pressure. This Kap thing would've been an ugly scandal the likes of which we haven't seen in American Sport. It would've been bad. The league had no choice, they had to settle.

10. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +6,306
    You guys are making it sound like this scandal would of shocked the world. Believe me, if their was a laundry list, it would of been out in the open by now.

Was there wrong doing? Sure, but not enough to make a national gate about it. But probably enough to where collusion was evident and they were gonna lose.

F Krappernick and his lackey reid. He will never be Ali or Ghandi or whatever the hell he was going for.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  11. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31,423
    could care less about any of this Krapperdick shyt...I just want the "dislike" from Quantum

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Steve:Section 102

Ratings:
    +2,296
    I think you're putting your head in the sand on the league, which is your prerogative. I think they would've uncovered chit that would've shocked the world, 100%. The networks led the news with deflated football news during D-gate. Much ado about nothing. Imagine what this woulda been like. U-G-L-Y.

I actually wanted to spell J-E-T-E there. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. law241

law241 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63
    His asking price was likely that high because he has no real interest in playing in that league. In order for it to be worth it to him he needed a lot of money. He's come out and said he wants to y in the NFL. Why would he like about that? Tebow turned down the same league. You don't think he wouldn't jump at the chance to play in the NFL?

14. YOUGOTMOSSED

Ratings:
    +5,581
    Sure, I can believe that the NFL owners are a bunch of scumbags; sure, I can believe that they're not above lying and/or covering up to further their own interests.

Are they a bunch of bigots conspiring to deny him opportunities for racist reasons? I seriously doubt it.
    Were they colluding to keep him out of the league for public relations reason? Maybe . . . and if they were stupid enough to create records demonstrating that intent when it was against the CBA, then they deserve to be burned.

15. mosslost

mosslost Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +5,997
    Kap is nuke destruction for whatever teams gives him his next chance...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. YOUGOTMOSSED

Ratings:
    +5,581
    It may also be done as an ill-conceived "virtual signaling" PR stunt. I'd like to think they're above that but then there's that recent "best a man can get" tripe produced by the "socially woke" corporate slimeballs at Gillette.

17. MassPats38

MassPats38 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,679
    By "nothing to hide," are you suggesting the necessary inference from a civil settlement is the civil claims of collusion are meritorious?

I would agree that the owners might have been embarrassed by a full hearing in arbitration. Depending on rules of proceedings adopted, they might have plenty of skeletons in this multi-billion dollar closet that they don't want going public. Those skeletons may have nothing to do with collusion, and everything to do with some of their general idiocy that might paint them in a negative light for PR purposes.

The rejection of a claim dismissal with this much public interest (including presidential comments) was no surprise. Settlements only imply there is something uncomfortable for owners, for Kaepernick, or both (and uncomfortable may simply be protracting resolution of an issue). I submit many of the billion dollar babies in the industry have little thought in writing e-mails and any conversation about Kaepernick after the PR hits and monetary losses was not likely to be flattering.

Calling Kaepernick a POS is not tantamount to black-balling him for his beliefs and colluding to keep him out of work when he merits a starting position (and I would seriously dispute any claim that this guy merits a starting job on any team that does not run a read option offense, and there are very few that still need that type of QB - show me his stats as a pocket passer and evidence he would accept other than a starter role if comparing him to backups). Frankly, we will never know why the NFL settled, why Kaepernick settled, or precisely what they respectively settled for in the end.

You could equally argue Kaepernick's claims had no legal teeth, and he accepted a ham sandwich in settlement before he lost in order to foster in the public eye the belief there was something untoward for which he was paid big time while hiding behind a confidentiality agreement. That confidentiality shield works for both sides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steve:Section 102

Ratings:
    +2,296
    What was the owner that had to sell because of sexual harrasment? What about the owner in the NBA with his racist crap ? Yeah, I know I can google it... That's not really my point.

My point is that I wouldn't be shocked if there was a smoking gun email that showed _______, owner of _______, was a bigot. I think that just because they have money doesn't make them good. Or smart. Not all, or even the majuority, not even a few. But one would be enough. One would be too many.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. YOUGOTMOSSED

Ratings:
    +5,581
    The NFL is a pretty "pozzed" (as the kids call it) organization. I guess it's possible there could be an owner who is a closet bigot who was stupid enough to say something to expose himself in a private email but I seriously doubt it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31,423
    The NFL has AIDS?

• Funny Funny x 1