SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Panthers
Thu
Aug 22nd
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Pats Best Rookie?
Chase Winovich is off to a terrific start here in preseason and looks to have a bright future ahead of him.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Patriots and Kap

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by sb1, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +47,947
    Whether I agree with the take or not, I can acknowledge that his actions can easily be argued to point to him wanting a starter role at starter money, and then responding sensibly to a perceived blacklisting. But the part in bold is all I was addressing. I don't think it helps either side of the Kaepenick argument to get the basics wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. primetime

primetime Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10,973
    I mean, what does viable starter mean? He posted reasonable stats in 2016. He had a couple very good years and then sort of faded. I don't think particularly highly of him as a player but he absolutely would've gotten a contract in 2017.

I tend to agree he definitely doesn't want to play anymore as of 2019, but I also think that's because he knew he could extract a lot more money out of the NFL with a lawsuit than with a prove-it veteran backup deal. There's some chicken-and-egg stuff here; I suspect he would have been happy with a contract two years ago. The NFL did what it did, and he got paid. He never has to play football again. In theory, everyone got what they want, the billionaires just got soaked a little. Such is life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LJRomanoff

LJRomanoff Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,437
    That's not evidence of collusion and you know it. Even if Kaepernick isn't being hired solely due to his politics (unlikely but for the sake of the argument) that's easily a conclusion 32 front offices can come to independently without there needing to be a conspiracy to make it happen.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
  4. LJRomanoff

Ratings:
    +1,437
    This is literally the opposite of collusion.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. 203Pat

203Pat Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2,011
    It’s a technicality that he opted out I will admit. The deal they gave him protected themselves if he turned into a pumpkin and he did and would’ve been gone. It’s one of those things that I would assume a lawyer could twist against him and if a judge has no idea how the league economics work then that could work against him. That’s moreso where I was going when I mentioned the optics.

6. primetime

Ratings:
    +10,973
    Independently was in quotation marks for a reason. It's pretty clear 32 teams did not come to the same conclusion on their own given that teams have hired players with the same politics as Kaepernick. Blacklisting a player for their politics, regardless of the content of those politics, in a state-sponsored monopoly industry is a problem. [shrug]

• Thank You Thank You x 1
  7. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28,526
    Independent decision would not be collusion.
    If all 32 individually thought he was bad for business that is no different than all 32 thinking the thousands of players who aren’t good enough, aren’t good enough. Drawing the same conclusion doesn’t mean collusion.

However the real issue was whether his attorneys could stack up enough coincidences and present them as not coincidental and won a collusion case where there was no collusion, which may be what you were referring to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 203Pat

Ratings:
    +2,011
    Had it not been for all the kneeling crap I think he would’ve gotten a shot to fight for a starting job. I think the sideshow killed those chances with teams not wanting to deal with the circus around him. I don’t think that is collusion I think that is more of a “this guy isn’t worth the trouble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +28,526
    Krapernick is bad for business, a distraction and not good enough to be worth it.
    That’s easy for 32 people to agree upon without collaborating.

Same as a guy who is really big but too slow to play in the league. Strengths but weaknesses that overcome them which are obvious to everyone. No meeting of the minds is necessary for no one to sign him.

10. primetime

Ratings:
    +10,973
    Right, it effectively matters if I can force a settlement. Both sides knew it wasn't going to a hearing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. primetime

Ratings:
    +10,973
    I think this vastly understates the amount to which NFL owners make decisions in unison. I don't think there really can be truly independent decisions about something like this, just knowing how the NFL functions. It just becomes a question of how involved and deliberate and documented the blacklisting was.

Someone mentioned Ray Rice, who probably also had a good case that he was blacklisted, but whose blacklisting concerns me less because it's not a state-sponsored monopoly punishing political speech.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  12. libra957

libra957 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +950
    If the settlement is large enough there is no need for Kap to want to play in the NFL anyway.

13. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +28,526
    That is assuming a lot because neither of us really know what happens behind closed NFL doors.
    I’m also pretty sure there are many owners who would have told the rest to F Off if they thought Krapernick could make them a winner, see Greg hardy as an example.
    I can meet you halfway though. I think the owners WOULD collude on this if necessary but none of them individually ever wanted to sign krapernick so it never got to the point of 31 putting pressure on 1. It is very reasonable that each individually didnt want the guy.

I think rice was a case of the suspension eliminating any chance because by the time he could be signed he was a declining player who say out a long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. maust1013

maust1013 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +11,217

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Genius Genius x 1
  15. LJRomanoff

Ratings:
    +1,437
    If other players with similar politics were hired that suggests that Kaepernick wasn't blacklisted for that reason. It's pretty clear that on the whole Kaepernick was not worth a salary to 32 teams and it's not whatsoever unreasonable to conclude that every team made this assessment on their own considering there's been no evidence at all to the contrary.

Also, the NFL is not a state-sponsored monopoly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20,695
    Rumor is $60-$80 million.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Brick27

Brick27 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2,555
    Imagine we won’t be seeing any bombshell report that ties all 32 teams to one singular agreement that ousts Kap.

Maybe the league feared that a deeper investigation may lead to other, unrelated, and larger skeletons to surface, so they instead accepted this lump.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Gronkowski123

Gronkowski123 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6,350
    Kap stinks!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. ausbacker

ausbacker TB12 PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,984
    Believe in something... unless you take a multimillion dollar payout to shut up.

Kaepernick has shown to be the fraud he is.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  20. 203Pat

Ratings:
    +2,011
    This. Can only imagine what a bunch or rich powerful billionaires are putting out there to each other. I’m assuming the league wants to keep a lid on any of the inevitable 50 non Kaep related headlines that would come from a trial.

• Agree Agree x 2