PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pass Rushers

I wish I could find full testing results for Joe Jackson, because the Combine numbers were disappointing, but his pro day 40 was solid. His film reminded me a lot of Ferrell. In fact, on a per game basis, he's right in line with Ferrell's production and pressure percentage. He has the size we look for and better bend than Allen, Ferguson, Omenihu, Collier, etc. I get the same type of feel about him that I had about Deatrich Wise -- just a nagging suspicion that they're Patriot short listers.

I wish I could find full testing results for Joe Jackson, because the Combine numbers were disappointing, but his pro day 40 was solid. His film reminded me a lot of Ferrell. In fact, on a per game basis, he's right in line with Ferrell's production and pressure percentage. He has the size we look for and better bend than Allen, Ferguson, Omenihu, Collier, etc. I get the same type of feel about him that I had about Deatrich Wise -- just a nagging suspicion that they're Patriot short listers.
Speaking of Omenihu, I was disappointed that he didn't attempt to run the 40 during his pro day after he re-ran the 60-shuttle, upon which he improved. Except for that poor 4.92, he checks off pretty much every other box on the list.

Nobody does as good a job of finding a role for “tweeners” then bb.

I actually think we can get him at 56 since a lot of teams will struggle to understand how to use him.
would be very happy with him at 56. He dorsn’t come off the field for BC and Belichick would love that versatility.

Speaking of Omenihu, I was disappointed that he didn't attempt to run the 40 during his pro day after he re-ran the 60-shuttle, upon which he improved. Except for that poor 4.92, he checks off pretty much every other box on the list.
Omenihu same numbers as Flowers. Flowers clone

Trey Flowers had a 4.93. Chandler Jones 4.87. Jumps and 10 yard split are more important for burst, and Omen was right in line with them.

My bigger concern is his lack of polish. Flowers understood leverage and hands; Omen is a work in progress. Their TFL shows this: Flowers had three straight double digit college seasons, as opposed to a single breakout senior season. I also worry about a lot of empty or losing snaps between his flashes -- which I love -- and his inability to hold up against the run inside. He's solid enough as a base end, but can't be a full time 3 tech. Let him play a lot of 5 and 7 on early downs and put him inside on third & long, and I think he'll be fine in another year. I don't think he's ready to start year one, though, which is why I've cooled on him as a second rounder. I'd still be happy to draft him, but maybe 73 onward and with lesser expectations for year one.

Omenihu same numbers as Flowers. Flowers clone

Tre Flowers’ athleticism with Chandler Jones’ length. Zach Allen is my no1 guy for gettable Edge prospects but Omenihu is second.

My second round prospect to get at DE is Zach Allen. My 3rd round prospect is Joe Jackson. I don't see a first round guy I like realistically within range of 32.

Allen and Jackson seem to offer the best chance of being 3 down players for the Pats. I don't know if Allen will be there at 56/64.

There are a few pass rusher types I like too but in our system they either project to linebacker or as simply sub-rushers.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back