PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pass Rushers

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Was watching a PFF video on Rashan Gary and I took this screenshot of the PFF pass rush grades (no blitzes, no stunts) from the video. It should be noted that PFF consider a cut of around an 85 grade as being indicative of NFL success.

PFF Pass Rush Grades.jpg

For what it's worth. And bear in mind that PFF largely ignore sacks and focus on pressures.

Nelson and Allen look interesting considering their not really thought of as pure EDGE defenders.

I agree on Polite, Burns, and Winovich. Those are the top edge prospects that I've seen thus far. (Not a fan of Allen, Gary, or Sweat).

Edit: I meant not a fan of Josh Allen. I do like Zach Allen, but he's not a pure edge guy. More of a strong end guy, which is honestly a big need for this team. Could replace John Simon.

Last edited:
I agree on Polite, Burns, and Winovich. Those are the top edge prospects that I've seen thus far. (Not a fan of Allen, Gary, or Sweat).

We'll have to disagree on Allen (although I see him more as a LDE/5 tech type than pure edge rusher).

We'll have to disagree on Allen (although I see him more as a LDE/5 tech type than pure edge rusher).

You mean Josh Allen, right? I haven't really seen him play that kind of role.

But if you mean Zach Allen, I like him a lot.

Edit: I meant not a fan of Josh Allen. I do like Zach Allen, but he's not a pure edge guy. More of a strong end guy, which is honestly a big need for this team. Could replace John Simon.

Winovich msy have had hand surgery recently.

Supposed to be ready by ota time.

I'm intrigued by 3 guys whom might be available between 56-72.

Charles Imenihu - DE - Texas - Raw and long. Chandler Jones comp?

Anthony Nelson - DE - Iowa - Another tall kid. Won't run around the edge
and sack the qb. But, we don't ask our de's to do that anyway.

Shareef Miller - DE - PSU - Improved every year. Another long de who has
to bulk up a bit more. Could have used another year in college.

Omenihu would be shocked if he is available late 2nd but would be a terrific pickup.

Nelson would be good late 2nd as well.

If we could get Nelson and Lawrence first 2 rounds

Omenihu would be shocked if he is available late 2nd but would be a terrific pickup.

Nelson would be good late 2nd as well.

If we could get Nelson and Lawrence first 2 rounds

Not sexy. But, that would be a solid draft. Maybe, Sternberger and Ridley after those two

@sircole

Do you happen to have the testing numbers matrix for edge rushers as well? That would save me a ton of time when I get to that part of my thread. ;)

You mean Josh Allen, right? I haven't really seen him play that kind of role.

But if you mean Zach Allen, I like him a lot.

Yup, Zach Allen was the one I meant.

Don’t care about the Ed Oliver stat here. My only take is that there’s a NT out there called Myquon STOUT.

...I do like Zach Allen, but he's not a pure edge guy. More of a strong end guy, which is honestly a big need for this team. Could replace John Simon.
We already have Big DE-types in Wise & Bennett (Keionta Davis also seems to fit this category) , so I'm not sure if I would refer to the need itself as "big"...and I don't think he would completely replace Simon, who I feel also has some ability to perform off the LOS a bit.

And as a follow up:

Christian Miller is very intriguing to me. Could prove to be a huge steal end of 2nd or 3rd round due to injury concerns and limited snaps. He can get after the QB!

Christian Miller is very intriguing to me. Could prove to be a huge steal end of 2nd or 3rd round due to injury concerns and limited snaps. He can get after the QB!
Bill's already tried a Christian Miller-type here with Derek Rivers, and that has proven to be a miserable failure.

Bill's already tried a Christian Miller-type here with Derek Rivers, and that has proven to be a miserable failure.

How can you say Rivers has been a failure? He torn his ACL, that is a huge injury for the way he plays. It takes nearly two years to recover fully from that and that includes mentally having the trust in it, which is the hardest part of tearing it.

I like Miller too. In pure talent, he's definitely a first rounder. I don't think anyone in the draft can run as tight of a corner as he can. Maybe Burns, Polite, Cece Jefferson? Honorable mention to Austin Bryant, Deandre Walker, Chase Winovich, and Ben Banogu. But I think Miller has the best raw edge ability.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back