PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Parents: Proselytizing Here!

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I'm not in any official capacity part of this board, just a frequent poster.

Recently, "General Talk" on Patsfans has become a forum for Christian proselytizing.

For adults, this material can range from "required reading" for those who already "believe," to downright insulting to those who hold other religious, or non-religious views. It is neverltheless "free speech," as is any other speech which may or may not insult a given party (such as Jews, singled out by Christians for prosyletizing tactics, for historical and theological reasons.) Even as a Christian, you may find that the brand of Christianity pushed here is not the brand you want to promote. The choice, of course, is up to the individual.

BUT IF YOU ARE A PARENT, be aware that this board is being used to prosyletize. You may choose to use the materials here as a teaching aid; you may not want the materials presented here to be your childrens' next stop after reading reports from Patriots' practices (or whatever.)

You decide.

Thanks,
PFnV

PS, yes, I have posted this info before, but the thread got into personal recriminations. This is just cleaner than bumping up the other one.

Appreciate the heads up! My kids don't have an interest in Football so they don't get on. For myself, I just don't bother clicking on his posts. Patience, he'll go away if ignored long enough!

PatsChick87 said:
Patience, he'll go away if ignored long enough!

Let's hope!

Although I see him jumping in this thread any minute now..............

Now we have two threads against proselytizing? Possibly even three. Its hard to say which way Gomezcat's will go.

What we really need is a warning about all this proselytizing against proselytizing.

The good thing is that I can now spell proselytizing without any help from Google's spellchecker, yay me!

Nikki said:
Let's hope!

Although I see him jumping in this thread any minute now..............

Nahhh, I'm pretty sure he's "done with me" again for now, although that might be just Shmessy he's done with. I can't keep track.

Anyway, sorry to be heavy handed, but I do think it's good for people to know when this stuff is loose on a board.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
Nahhh, I'm pretty sure he's "done with me" again for now, although that might be just Shmessy he's done with. I can't keep track.

Anyway, sorry to be heavy handed, but I do think it's good for people to know when this stuff is loose on a board.

PFnV

Yeah, he's done with me.......until the next time.

BTW, did you notice the F-Bomb "He Who Walks With God" dropped on me tonight?

You could have knocked me over with a feather!

shmessy said:
Yeah, he's done with me.......until the next time.

BTW, did you notice the F-Bomb "He Who Walks With God" dropped on me tonight?

You could have knocked me over with a feather!

He got prophylactic forgiveness, dude. So if you think about it, if you're calling him on it, you're really calling God on it. You sure you want that? ;)

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
He got prophylactic forgiveness, dude. So if you think about it, if you're calling him on it, you're really calling God on it. You sure you want that? ;)

PFnV

I AM getting a little freaked out by this, to tell you the truth.

If "He Who Walks With God" dropped an F-Bomb on me tonight, I might not be as safe as I thought tomorrow in the Meadowlands.

Folks, if during tomorrow's game, there is a bolt of lightning hitting the upper deck of Giants Stadium, just remember.......I loved you all.

......oh yeah, and Go Pats!!!!!!!!!!!!

shmessy said:
I AM getting a little freaked out by this, to tell you the truth.

If "He Who Walks With God" dropped an F-Bomb on me tonight, I might not be as safe as I thought tomorrow in the Meadowlands.

Folks, if during tomorrow's game, there is a bolt of lightning hitting the upper deck of Giants Stadium, just remember.......I loved you all.

......oh yeah, and Go Pats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a great time at the game on Sunday. Jets fans were surprisingly accepting of us Pats fans. No bolts of lightning -- even got a little tan in the first half.

I think God likes me. :)

shmessy said:
Had a great time at the game on Sunday. Jets fans were surprisingly accepting of us Pats fans. No bolts of lightning -- even got a little tan in the first half.

I think God likes me. :)

To judge by His representatives hereabouts, I'm not sure he likes anybody. (But keep tellin' yourself that LOL... I do :bricks: )

PFnV

PARENTS:

As I write this post, it should be noted that about one half of the top 10 posts below it (i.e., the ten most recently visited,) are wholly or partially dedicated to Proselytizing.

You may decide the material presented is of value to you and/or your children. You may find it to be a valuable teaching aid. You may be in 100% agreement with one or another tenet presented here, and wish to bring your childrens' attention to these threads. You may, however, wish for your children to direct their attention to the football-related posts on patsfans.com, or even the politically themed ones. The decision is yours.

As I have stated before, Parents should be aware that these boards have become a hotbed of religious proselytizing, so they can make informed decisions.

Thanks,

PFnV

in other words, PFIV couldnt think of a response for the Schindlers List analogy.

its ok, enjoy the game tonight.

Jesus Loves You.

Actually, in other words, I'd noticed that the point of keeping Parents aware of prosyletizing activities here had fallen off the radar, based on a slew of pretty much redundant posts, and I thought they should be aware of the activities of Proselytizers here, who exhibit little or no interest in the subject of Patriots football.

As to your most recent stretch, see the "Answers" thread.

L'Shana Tova, 3. Whether or not you reach T'shuvah to Judaism, may you have peace... and I wish the same to all (peace, that is.)

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
Actually, in other words, I'd noticed that the point of keeping Parents aware of prosyletizing activities here had fallen off the radar, based on a slew of pretty much redundant posts, and I thought they should be aware of the activities of Proselytizers here, who exhibit little or no interest in the subject of Patriots football.

As to your most recent stretch, see the "Answers" thread.

L'Shana Tova, 3. Whether or not you reach T'shuvah to Judaism, may you have peace... and I wish the same to all (peace, that is.)

PFnV

right back at ya, PFIV. the peace, i mean.

i would like to point out, i looked at your response in the "Answers" thread.
I saw stuff about Mel Gibson, and about my making more of the persecution of Christians around the world than there is, but there was no response to the Schindlers List analogy.

You wouldnt call it Anti-Semitism if someone took a clip from the movie of a Jewish person being killed, speeded it up for comedy sake, and added Benny Hill music? Would you call it more of an attack on Steven Speilburg than an attack on Jews?

once again, this has nothing to do with linking YOU to the Benny Hill video in any way, its about you denying that the video was in any way, Anti-Christian, or Christian hating. thats all.

peace be with you.

3, I would call that mockery of the film in question, and, by the nature of your question, I'll stipulate that you could call it mockery of Christianity. I'll put it this way: I think a devout and doctrinaire Christian could make that montage, pointing out the burlesque chararacter of Gibson's protrayal. I do also think it just as likely that the person bothered by the film is not a regular churchgoer. So yes, it's possibly also an "anti-christian" montage. Now, some matters of scale and accuracy:

How many postings of that film have there been on this message board? You are basically keeping it alive by your constant references to it. At the point I made my count, half the threads in the top 10 on general talk had something to do with proselytizing. I didn't make a "proselytizing" warning because it seemed likely to get attention. I made it because proselytizing to children is a very real and very ugly phenomenon, and because proselytizing made up about half of the most-viewed threads here. Proselytizing to adults, while also ugly, allows adults to exercise judgement, a faculty not yet fully formed in children. That is why Parents need to know that this is a very active area for proselytizers.

Secondly, you posted a response in the "Answers" thread, the point of which was to paint me as saying there was no anti-Christian content on Patsfans. I didn't say that, but I do not think it an oft-raised theme here at all.

What I did say was that persecution of Christians is a historically rare and comparatively mild phenomenon. This is meaningless for the single individual who loses his life or is imprisoned as a result of persecution. It is, however, the historical truth, when measured comparatively in our long and sad history.

Your Schindler's List analogy once again falsely invokes an example of a tasteful, well-done film dedicated to the memory of "righteous gentiles," with a divisive film, made by a confirmed anti-Semite, masquerading as cinematic Christianity. The fact is, I can think of no reasons a non-anti-Semite would lampoon "Schindler's List" this way, because Schindler's List, and its director, do not open themselves to such treatment. "The Passion" does. I could, in fact, imagine a circumstance in which a devout Christian, offended by the cartoonish depictions in the Gibson interpretation, could have made that montage, although obviously in quite bad taste.

But let us say that the montage is made specifically out of hatred of Christians -- not so much a proven thing as it would be in the case of Shindler's List, but certainly not something that is out of the question either.

Your conclusion is that parents must be warned of this specific incidence, despite the fact that it's pretty much lost in the archives by now.

My conclusion is that it is a pretty rare phenomenon, one which, you'll notice, only came in reaction to some of your own slanders and other poor behavior. This doesn't make the Benny Hill thing a great piece of literature, and it doesn't make posting that video a great decision.

But you must note that you did open the door by singling out people of specific religious groups for your own unwanted, uninvited, and in fact rejected attentions, based specifically on their religious identities.

I've shown this to be an anti-Semitic act on numerous occasions.

So it seems likely that whoever posted that video somehow concluded that two wrongs made a right; if it is fine to disregard and make a mockery of the beliefs of other religious groups, it is certainly fine to disregard the possibility that a montage was put together out of similar urges aimed toward religious Christians. Or, as I have said, simply aimed toward a strange film made by a strange man.

Nevertheless

PatsFanInVa said:
3, I would call that mockery of the film in question, and, by the nature of your question, I'll stipulate that you could call it mockery of Christianity. I'll put it this way: I think a devout and doctrinaire Christian could make that montage, pointing out the burlesque chararacter of Gibson's protrayal. I do also think it just as likely that the person bothered by the film is not a regular churchgoer. So yes, it's possibly also an "anti-christian" montage. Now, some matters of scale and accuracy:

How many postings of that film have there been on this message board? You are basically keeping it alive by your constant references to it. At the point I made my count, half the threads in the top 10 on general talk had something to do with proselytizing. I didn't make a "proselytizing" warning because it seemed likely to get attention. I made it because proselytizing to children is a very real and very ugly phenomenon, and because proselytizing made up about half of the most-viewed threads here. Proselytizing to adults, while also ugly, allows adults to exercise judgement, a faculty not yet fully formed in children. That is why Parents need to know that this is a very active area for proselytizers.

Secondly, you posted a response in the "Answers" thread, the point of which was to paint me as saying there was no anti-Christian content on Patsfans. I didn't say that, but I do not think it an oft-raised theme here at all.

What I did say was that persecution of Christians is a historically rare and comparatively mild phenomenon. This is meaningless for the single individual who loses his life or is imprisoned as a result of persecution. It is, however, the historical truth, when measured comparatively in our long and sad history.

Your Schindler's List analogy once again falsely invokes an example of a tasteful, well-done film dedicated to the memory of "righteous gentiles," with a divisive film, made by a confirmed anti-Semite, masquerading as cinematic Christianity. The fact is, I can think of no reasons a non-anti-Semite would lampoon "Schindler's List" this way, because Schindler's List, and its director, do not open themselves to such treatment. "The Passion" does. I could, in fact, imagine a circumstance in which a devout Christian, offended by the cartoonish depictions in the Gibson interpretation, could have made that montage, although obviously in quite bad taste.

But let us say that the montage is made specifically out of hatred of Christians -- not so much a proven thing as it would be in the case of Shindler's List, but certainly not something that is out of the question either.

Your conclusion is that parents must be warned of this specific incidence, despite the fact that it's pretty much lost in the archives by now.

My conclusion is that it is a pretty rare phenomenon, one which, you'll notice, only came in reaction to some of your own slanders and other poor behavior. This doesn't make the Benny Hill thing a great piece of literature, and it doesn't make posting that video a great decision.

But you must note that you did open the door by singling out people of specific religious groups for your own unwanted, uninvited, and in fact rejected attentions, based specifically on their religious identities.

I've shown this to be an anti-Semitic act on numerous occasions.

So it seems likely that whoever posted that video somehow concluded that two wrongs made a right; if it is fine to disregard and make a mockery of the beliefs of other religious groups, it is certainly fine to disregard the possibility that a montage was put together out of similar urges aimed toward religious Christians. Or, as I have said, simply aimed toward a strange film made by a strange man.

Nevertheless

I will say, that while I disagree with you, I do appreciate the thoughtfulness of your response. This is the kind of helpful dialogue that can be fruitful and educational.

Have a blessed day

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back