PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our ridicously early 53s

From Mark Daniels at the Providence Journal

Jones completed 66% of his passes (57-for-87)
Newton completed 68% of his passes (44-of-65)
Stidham completed 72% of his passes (49-for-68)
Hoyer completed 65% of his passes (24-for-37)

Stidham had more pass attempts than Cam, Stidham also increased his pass attempts on Day 3 as Jones struggled and his pass attempts were reduced. Hoyer had roughly half as many pass attempts as the other three. Obviously with 87 attempts, the coaching staff was taking a long, hard look at Jones. With more attempts than Cam and a higher completion %, Stidham is not "out of the running".

What will be telling is how the pass attempts are split when the Pats go to training camp in July. If the "lions share" of the passing attempts still go to Jones then we will see him earlier rather than later. If Stidham continues to get more attempts than Cam (that was no where near the case in 2020), then we might see Stidham for the first time ever.
Not trying to be sassy : can you specify what you mean by « out of the running » ? Do you mean « making the team » or « being a starter » ?

I’m not as down on Stidham as some, but I think the likelihood of him starting is very low.

I agree that Johnson makes the cut, as does Matt LaCosse. If the philosophy is going to be run first, then stack the roster so that you can run your offense. This leaves Keene on the outs, and probably Boldin. I would prefer to see Boldin kept over Stidham, but see Belichick keeping all 3 QBs to ensure Jones isn't thrown to the wolves until ready.

Please 8-pound, 6-ounce baby Jesus with the golden fleece diapers No...

I agree with Nixon and hope he finds a way to make the team.
Michel who knows, if he's healthy he's a beast, but he has problems staying on the field.
I don't see Taylor on the practice squad if we try to stash him there some other team will grab him.
Keene is a perplexing situation, but I don't see the team keeping a pure fullback this year that is why I had him making the team.
Bentley is a tough call, who knows at that level.

No, not really...McMillan >>>>>>>>>>>>> JaWrong.

Not trying to be sassy : can you specify what you mean by « out of the running » ? Do you mean « making the team » or « being a starter » ?

I’m not as down on Stidham as some, but I think the likelihood of him starting is very low.

Making the team. But he might start ahead of Cam. Stidham is a natural thrower, but he seems to not understand the offense or be hesitant, which might be correctable. Jones did not get so many snaps because Cam is the man.

I agree that Stidham's chances are low, but it is only Y3 for him, and Y2 was COVID so not really a full year. At the very least Stidham is a backup in this league for a long-time in my opinion. Big talented kid with the right attitude that needs some confidence.

One thing to consider: I just read that a team can protect four players on the practice squad. If that's correct, it makes things a lot easier.

Post-minicamp projection:

QB (3) C.Newton, J.Stidham, M.Jones

RB (5) B.Bolden, J.White, S.Michel, D.Harris, R.Stevenson

WR (5) N.Agholor, K.Bourne, J.Meyers, N.Harry, G.Olszewski

TE (4) H.Henry, J.Smith, D.Asiasi, D.Keene

C (2) D.Andrews, T.Karras
G (3) S.Mason, I.Wynn, W.Sherman
T (3) T.Brown, M.Onwenu, Y.Cajuste

DE (4) M.Judon, D.Wise, C.Winovich, R.Perkins
DT (4) L.Guy, D.Godchaux, C.Barmore, H.Anderson

ILB (2) R.McMillan, H.Langi
OLB (4) D.Hightower, K.VanNoy, J.Uche, A.Jennings

CB (6) S.Gilmore, J.Jackson, J.Jones, J.Mills, J.Bethel, M.Bryant

SS (2) A.Phillips, K.Dugger
FS (2) D.McCourty, J.Williams

ST (4) Slater, N.Folk, J.Bailey, J.Cardona

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2019

- At least one of Bolden/Keene/Johnson make the 53; I have two of them making it, with Johnson slipping to the PS...

- Until somebody else proves otherwise, I have Harry making the 53...Last chance, Kneal...

- After the top 6, Yawndy Cachoo & Billy Sherman are the best of a very, Very bad lot of backups...Pray for health here...

- These 8 DE/OLBs give us the best chance of disrupting the QB.

- McMillan should be a lock; and I chose Langi over Hall & Bentley because Hall didn't impress when he did play, and JaWrong just. plain. sucks.

- As our best by far CB, Gilmore's on the 53, for now...And Williams bumps off Mike Jackson & Cody Davis...Last chance, SloJuan...

One thing to consider: I just read that a team can protect four players on the practice squad. If that's correct, it makes things a lot easier.
I believe that they have to get to the Practice Squad first. A team will NOT be allowed to decided to pay 4 players $10K a week and protect them. Other teams get a shot first.

Post-minicamp projection:

QB (3) C.Newton, J.Stidham, M.Jones

RB (5) B.Bolden, J.White, S.Michel, D.Harris, R.Stevenson

WR (5) N.Agholor, K.Bourne, J.Meyers, N.Harry, G.Olszewski

TE (4) H.Henry, J.Smith, D.Asiasi, D.Keene

G (3) S.Mason, I.Wynn, W.Sherman
T (3) T.Brown, M.Onwenu, Y.Cajuste

DE (4) M.Judon, D.Wise, C.Winovich, R.Perkins
DT (4) L.Guy, D.Godchaux, C.Barmore, H.Anderson

ILB (2) R.McMillan, H.Langi
OLB (4) D.Hightower, K.VanNoy, J.Uche, A.Jennings

CB (6) S.Gilmore, J.Jackson, J.Jones, J.Mills, J.Bethel, M.Bryant

SS (2) A.Phillips, K.Dugger
FS (2) D.McCourty, J.Williams

ST (4) Slater, N.Folk, J.Bailey, J.Cardona

- At least one of Bolden/Keene/Johnson make the 53; I have two of them making it, with Johnson slipping to the PS...

- Until somebody else proves otherwise, I have Harry making the 53...Last chance, Kneal...

- After the top 6, Yawndy Cachoo & Billy Sherman are the best of a very, Very bad lot of backups...Pray for health here...

- These 8 DE/OLBs give us the best chance of disrupting the QB.

- McMillan should be a lock; and I chose Langi over Hall & Bentley because Hall didn't impress when he did play, and JaWrong just. plain. sucks.

- As our best by far CB, Gilmore's on the 53, for now...And Williams bumps off Mike Jackson & Cody Davis...Last chance, SloJuan...
I'm close to you roster.

1) I think that we need our best FB on the roster.

2) I have Winovich instead of Langi. Both Hightower and Van Noy are fine inside. Some have Jennings inside also.

3) I suspect that Herron will make the 53, but I would be happy if Cajuste and Sherman beat him out for a spot.

They've talked a fair bit about JJ this offseason, my gut feeling is he'll make the team. Could certainly be wrong.
Ross, I. agree. Kyed made a good point about Taylor, he's too risky to expose and he believes that he would get claimed by another team. I think at RB we go with 6. (Harris, Michel, White, Stephenson, Taylor and Bolden) QB- we'll go with 2, OL we go with 8 and Wr is a really tough position to call. Zuber has looked very impressive but can he beat out Harry. In my opinion, if Harry shows anything and that's a big "if", Harry will make the team.

Last edited:
I'm close to you roster.

1) I think that we need our best FB on the roster.

2) I have Winovich instead of Langi. Both Hightower and Van Noy are fine inside. Some have Jennings inside also.

3) I suspect that Herron will make the 53, but I would be happy if Cajuste and Sherman beat him out for a spot.

In case you didn't see him, I also have Wino on the 53...

I make these with my heart...

QB (2) M.Jones, J.Stidham

RB (5) D.Harris, S.Michel, J.White, J.Taylor, J.Johnson

WR (5) N.Agholor, J.Meyers, K.Bourne, G.Olszewski, I.Zuber

TE (4) J.Smith, H.Henry, D.Asiasi, D.Keene

G (3) S.Mason, M.Onwenu, W.Sherman
T (4) I.Wynn, T.Brown, J.Herron, K.Cunningham

DE (3) D.Wise, H.Anderson, M.Judon
DT (3) L.Guy, D.Godchaux, C.Barmore

OLB(4) K.VanNoy, J.Uche, A.Jennings, C.Winovich
ILB(3) D.Hightower, J.Bentley, R.McMillan

CB (5) S.Gilmore, J.Jackson, J.Jones, J.Bethel, M.Bryant
SS (3) K.Dugger, A.Phillips, J.Williams
FS (3) D.McCourty, C.Davis, J.Mills

ST (5) J.Bailey, Q.Nordin, J.Cardona, M.Slater

Last edited:
I make these with my heart...

QB (2) M.Jones, J.Stidham

RB (5) D.Harris, S.Michel, J.White, J.Taylor, J.Johnson

WR (5) N.Agholor, J.Meyers, K.Bourne, G.Olszewski, I.Zuber

TE (4) J.Smith, H.Henry, D.Asiasi, D.Keene

G (3) S.Mason, M.Onwenu, W.Sherman
T (4) I.Wynn, T.Brown, J.Herron, K.Cunningham

DE (3) D.Wise, H.Anderson, M.Judon
DT (3) L.Guy, D.Godchaux, C.Barmore

OLB(4) K.VanNoy, J.Uche, A.Jennings, C.Winovich
ILB(3) D.Hightower, J.Bentley, R.McMillan

CB (5) S.Gilmore, J.Jackson, J.Jones, J.Bethel, M.Bryant
SS (3) K.Dugger, A.Phillips, J.Williams
FS (3) D.McCourty, C.Davis, J.Mills

ST (5) J.Bailey, Q.Nordin, J.Cardona, M.Slater

No Stevenson?

Who starts the year on the pup?

Gilmore?
Bledsoe?
Keane?
winovich?

Ross, I. agree. Kyed made a good point about Taylor, he's too risky to expose and he believes that he would get claimed by another team. I think at RB we go with 6. (Harris, Michel, White, Stephenson, Taylor and Bolden) QB- we'll go with 2, OL we go with 8 and Wr is a really tough position to call. Zuber has looked very impressive but can he beat out Harry. In my opinion, if Harry shows anything and that's a big "if", Harry will make the team.
I honestly feel like Harry really needs to step up or he will be flipped for a 5th. Why keep a dude hoping he steps up and risk losing the other guy (Zuber) on waivers when you could just keep the guy who still has potential and recoup a pick for Harry?

I realize I have binky bias though.

Checked to see that the OP didn't have Harry on the WR list, he didn't, and without reading anything else I am in full agreement with this man and will advocate for him being in charge of player managment.

I honestly feel like Harry really needs to step up or he will be flipped for a 5th. Why keep a dude hoping he steps up and risk losing the other guy (Zuber) on waivers when you could just keep the guy who still has potential and recoup a pick for Harry?

I realize I have binky bias though.

Why do you say "honestly feel" Harry is on the hotseat? What makes you think that? Something you read or saw?

My ridiculously too early prediction (fully aware that they're likely bringing someone new in, that some lock might get traded or sit out - Gilly).

Harry has to fight like mad to stay on this team, even with the cap advantage (they lose $500k in CAP if they cut him). I think he stays, but they might find a trade partner.

Nixon is my Ernie sentimental pick.
Michel ain't goin' nowhere.
Taylor on the PS to start. He'll get his chance this year with the inevitable injuries.
Keene to the PS (protected).
Bentley should make the team, but Langi is a favorite of mine, so Bently to the PS (protected)
Cowart is a painful cut, but he just isn't living up to his potential from all I read or saw.
Bryant and/or Williams are fighting for a spot, as is Jackson.

QB (3) M.Jones, J.Stidham, C.Newton
RB (6) D.Harris, S.Michel, J.White, B.Bolden, R.Stevenson, J.Johnson
WR (6) N.Agholor, J.Meyers, M.Slater, G.Olszewski, K.Bourne, T.Nixon
TE (3) J.Smith, H.Henry, D.Asiasi
G (2) S.Mason, M.Onwenu
T (4) I.Wynn, T.Brown, J.Herron, W.Sherman
DE (3) D.Wise, H.Anderson, M.Adams
DT (4) L.Guy, D.Godchaux, C.Barmore, A.Spence
ILB(3) D.Hightower, R.McMillan, H.Langi
OLB(5) M.Judon, K.VanNoy, J.Uche, R.Perkins, A.Jennings
CB (5) S.Gilmore, J.Jackson, J.Jones, J.Mills, J.Bethel
SS (2) K.Dugger, A.Phillips
FS (2) D.McCourty, C.Davis
ST (3) J.Bailey, J.Cardona, Q.Nordin

EDIT: I forgot Winovich, but agree that he might get shipped out of town.
I think your lite in the secondary

Last edited:
I think your lite in the secondary
Thinking they get a couple protected on the PS, but yeah, when I went back and looked, I need at least one more there.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back