PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You done messed up A-A-Ron

I think that’s a reasonable take. I also agree that Rodgers is overrated. He is nowhere near Brady and behind Manning too. Rodgers would probably not be All NFL 2010s second team, or he’s just another one of the pack fighting for it. Brees and Wilson are right there with him. And I believe Ryan is at this point equal to, if not better than Rodgers, thought not over the last nine years.

That's pretty much all I'm saying. I'm just rating Roethlisberger over the course of his career higher than are you.

Rodgers threw only 2 ints in 2018, yet GB only won 6 games :eek:. How is that even possible?

If I told you there was a team in 2019 that had a top-10 QB, who played 16 games and had only 2 ints, how many games would you bet that team would win?
And sacked 49 times. Brady's two lowest INT seasons he was sacked 15 times in 12 games and 25 times in 16 games.

There is no way you can watch him play and believe he isn’t fully aware of his stats and carefully protecting them so he can point to that when the blame for another dud of a season starts going around.
Oh he most definitely is. He's talked a few times about his admiration for Brady's 2010 statistical season.

Nobody ever points to his high sack count which is due to him playing hero ball instead of taking the right read for the shorter gain. That's a huge reason they lose games. But nobody will ever blame Aaron "We beat ourselves" Rodgers. After all, he only threw 2 INT's! Never mind those 49 sacks...:rolleyes:

Yep and someone please explain why Jimmy Graham 2TDs last year justifies his 2019 $12.6m cap number because his blocking sure doesn't

I can't see them keeping him at that #.
I'm surprised Jimmy Graham didn't thrive with Russell Wilson or Rodgers. He's a big target, throw it up to him.

I’m laughing my head off. Rodgers isn’t a perfect QB. He’s far superior to Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger is an even worse locker guy and he’s very stupid.
2-3 years ago I'd have agreed with you 100%. Watching Rodgers' career taper off, I think I have to give the edge to Roethlisberger in terms of being able to capitalize on opportunities presented, and also for a very important attribute that he seems to share with Brady -- sheer durability and longevity.

Also, this year notwithstanding, Roethlisberger has been in the playoffs consistently for longer than Rodgers has been a thing. This year is an aberration for Roethlisberger in that he didn't make it into the postseason at all. Usually, even with the mess that is the Steelers locker room, he's there in the mix somewhere, frequently as a division champ. Can't actually say that about Aaron.

Either way, I think as you watch their careers unfold you do have to give the nod to Payton over Rodgers, with Peyton as the consistent #2 best quarterback in his era and Rodgers fading down into the Best of the Rest as his career dies with a whimper.

2-3 years ago I'd have agreed with you 100%. Watching Rodgers' career taper off, I think I have to give the edge to Roethlisberger in terms of being able to capitalize on opportunities presented, and also for a very important attribute that he seems to share with Brady -- sheer durability and longevity.

The durability part is noted and agreed on.

But how has Roethlisberger capitalized on anything? Two playoff appearances? An embarrassing AFCGG loss to the Pats where was, as usual, slow out of the gate and then on fire during garbage time? That same Sunday, Rodgers Packers lost to the Packers. If you consider staying on the field and leading a playoff supporting cast to the postseason in 2017 (while an injured Rodgers did not make the playoffs), that seems like a pretty weak case.

The Steelers have had a loaded offensive line and immense talent for years now. Roethlisberger has just reinforced my suspicion that he cannot carry a team without a super elite defense like the Polamalu units. He’s inconsistent, has wildly bad road splits, and can’t get along with anyone. Emmanuel Sanders and numerous other players criticized him for his lack of leadership. He whined on his radio show and threw Antonio Brown under the bus, causing the drama that resulted in Brown leaving. He’s a worse leader and on-field player than Rodgers, and his supporting casts have been superior to Rodgers. A couple of Rodgers injuries isn’t close to enough to balance the scales.

Ex-Steelers on the Big Ben problem in Pittsburgh

I think when comparing Rodgers to Roethlisberger we need to consider that Big Ben has had to play in the better conference.

The real takeaway is we havent had to deal with Roethlisberger or Rodgers as our starting QB...

Our guy is better.

I think when comparing Rodgers to Roethlisberger we need to consider that Big Ben has had to play in the better conference.

Since 2010? 5-5 in Super Bowls for the AFC/NFC. AFC is harder in the sense you have to get past Brady (and previosuly Manning.). NFC has a lot more good to great QBs throughout the timeframe though. Overall it’s a league of parity. I don’t think this is a strong argument. It’s not like the 80s-mid 90s NFC where Joe Montana padded his SB success :)

Since 2010? 5-5 in Super Bowls for the AFC/NFC. AFC is harder in the sense you have to get past Brady (and previosuly Manning.). NFC has a lot more good to great QBs throughout the timeframe though. Overall it’s a league of parity. I don’t think this is a strong argument. It’s not like the 80s-mid 90s NFC where Joe Montana padded his SB success :)

AFC has won 5 of the last 7 though. And probably should have been 6 of 7 :mad:

Until Aaron Rodgers poses a threat in the playoffs, I'm not all that interested in what anybody thinks about him. The Packers play the NFC East and the AFC West in 2019. They'll be lucky to go 8-8. Losses: @Chiefs, @Chargers, Eagles, @Cowboys, @Bears, @Vikings, and @49ers if Garoppolo stays healthy. Matt Patricia has the honor of the coup de grace in week 17 @Detroit.

Since Mahomes has been in the league, Brady's won a SB, went to another (and threw for 505), and won an MVP. That's The 'Green Bay GOAT's entire resume, isn't it?

I'm not so much underestimating longevity, as I'm implying that Mahomes won't have it, once his whole offense ends up in jail/cut/suspended. It won't be Mahomes' fault, necessarily, it will be the KC Front Office, who doesn't seem to have the foggiest idea as to what they're doing.

Since Mahomes has been in the league, Aaron Rodgers hasn't made the playoffs.

Another important thing to note, I think, is the difference in their 'superpower'. Rodgers is an excellent reader of defenses, but his superpower is that he's a high end athlete with an extraordinarily accurate golden cannon of an arm. Roethlisberger is a guy who can move a bit to extend plays and throws a nice ball to almost anywhere on the field, but his 'superpower' is that he can extend plays by playing through contact that would bring down almost any other QB in the game.

It's why Roethlisberger can get away with carrying extra pounds that Rodger couldn't, It's why Rodgers gets credit for more flashy play despite his relatively underwhelming success, and it's also why Rodgers has always been more likely to be one hit away from being just an ordinary to above average QB. He's been lucky that his major injuries have been to his upper body, because the wrong sort of lower body shot could have impacted him like the knee injury impacted RGIII.

Again, just my $.02

I'm with you, on this. Since 2010, Pitt has missed the playoffs thrice and GB has missed twice, but GB once got in at 8-7-1, while Pitt's never gotten in without winning at least 10 games.

• In 2011, Pitt had that bad overtime beat against the Tebow led Broncos.
  • In 2014, Pitt lost to a Ravens team that had the same regular season record that they'd had.
  • In 2015, Pitt lost to the eventual SB champion Broncos.
  • In 2016, Pitt lost to the eventual SB champion Patriots.
  • In 2017, Pitt lost to a Jaguars team that was probably one play away from getting to the SB.

So it's not as if the Steelers were bowing out against a bunch of stiffs. In the post-2010 era, Pitt and GB have been pretty similar in terms of regular season records (Pitt: 82-45-1, GB: 79-47-2. I'd also note that Pitt had to play in the stronger division, and had had to face the either the Patriots or the Peyton led Broncos at least once during every regular season save one (2014) during that stretch. so advantage Pitt) and quality of opponents in the playoffs (But bad Pitt beat v. 8-8 Denver team means advantage GB).

So, for me, team success in the 2011-2018 era is almost a wash, with Pitt getting the slight nod. I could see someone rating them as even, or even putting GB slightly above Pitt, because it's close enough that all could be reasonably argued.

Now, how one would take that and apply it to ranking the play of the two QBs during that time is the stuff that makes these debates fun.

Or as people around me like to call him, Aaron Godgers. They actually think he's the GOAT LMAO

The durability part is noted and agreed on.

But how has Roethlisberger capitalized on anything? Two playoff appearances? An embarrassing AFCGG loss to the Pats where was, as usual, slow out of the gate and then on fire during garbage time? That same Sunday, Rodgers Packers lost to the Packers. If you consider staying on the field and leading a playoff supporting cast to the postseason in 2017 (while an injured Rodgers did not make the playoffs), that seems like a pretty weak case.

The Steelers have had a loaded offensive line and immense talent for years now. Roethlisberger has just reinforced my suspicion that he cannot carry a team without a super elite defense like the Polamalu units. He’s inconsistent, has wildly bad road splits, and can’t get along with anyone. Emmanuel Sanders and numerous other players criticized him for his lack of leadership. He whined on his radio show and threw Antonio Brown under the bus, causing the drama that resulted in Brown leaving. He’s a worse leader and on-field player than Rodgers, and his supporting casts have been superior to Rodgers. A couple of Rodgers injuries isn’t close to enough to balance the scales.

Ex-Steelers on the Big Ben problem in Pittsburgh

I could argue that Roethlisberger accomplished more than A A Ron Rodgers has in his entire career, in just the amount of time Rodgers was backing up Brett Favre.

We tend to make fun of guys like Woodley until they beat our team in the postseason with statlines like this:

16/19
2 TDs and 0 INTs
153 QBR
From what game is that?

The only 2 QBs in the P. Manning + era who have separated themselves from the other elite QBs are Brady and Manning, with Brady way ahead of Manning and Manning way ahead of everyone else. The others (Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, Warner) are all a step below...

Either way, I think as you watch their careers unfold you do have to give the nod to Payton over Rodgers, with Peyton as the consistent #2 best quarterback in his era...
Here we go again...

PayaTon Manning - the cheating, lying, anti-teammate scumbag horse-faced goober - is NOT "way ahead" of Drew Brees for the "consistent" #2 QB of his era; in FACT, he isn't ahead of him AT ALL. Brees > the Tea-Bagger...Period.

Here we go again...

PayaTon Manning - the cheating, lying, anti-teammate scumbag horse-faced goober - is NOT "way ahead" of Drew Brees for the "consistent" #2 QB of his era; in FACT, he isn't ahead of him AT ALL. Brees > the Tea-Bagger...Period.

They have some similarities as stat padding dome QBs, but Brees has to get the edge due to his longevity and not giving multiple receivers brain damage.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back