PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Why Didn't Chad Ochocinco/Johnson Work Out Here??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, I thought he was going to be Moss 2.0 here. Maybe my expectations were too high. Was this a case of a guy who couldn't grasp the playbook? Was he injured? I do remember him catching a catch in Super Bowl 46. Otherwise, I don't remember any contributions he made.

Sorry for bringing up such a random topic. I was always a fan of Chad's. And it's unfortunate what happened in his personal life when he left here.

I watched him in person - he was open a lot. I mean, A LOT.

But he wasn't where Brady expected him to be. They couldn't get on the same page.

Per Chad Johnson in The Athletic:

“The plays don’t change,” Johnson said. “There are only nine routes. The only thing that changes from team to team is the verbiage. The way things are called. So, once you understand the verbiage and how everything works, it all ties in together. It’s just about getting it down to a ‘T.’ That’s the only problem.”

That can be a big problem here. Brady expects his players to be where they’re supposed to be, and that can be an issue for players – especially stars either in college or other pro systems – who were previously granted the ability to freelance or operate in approximations.

The rigidness in New England can be hard for some players to deal with, but at this point, after two decades on top, it’s hard for anyone to argue with what has worked so well.

“Everybody there with the Patriots works until they’re robotic, and that’s why you win,” Sam said. “You have to be a robot because when it comes down to it, and Brady’s getting blitzed, and he has the time down for you to be at 19 yards. If you decide to freestyle and be at 17 or 18, it’s either incomplete or an interception. It works. You can’t argue with it.”

Lots of people say he couldn't learn the playbook.

No, he was old.

Because his strengths were running in cuts and going deep. He’s better with a team with a simplified offense.

No, he was old.
A combination of age and low football IQ imo

In an interview he described the offense in CIN w Palmer as very schoolyard-ish

He was 33 years old. His legs and speed had declined big time. His production the year before had declined. The following years after he left thd patriots, he didn’t produce in easy systems which shows he was physically way past his prime

Someone here mentioned Galloway. How old was he 36 when he came here?

Gordon and Moss both under the age of 30 when they were signed....they still had their legs to run good routes

He was just falling off the cliff & he was dumber than a pet rock.

How is there an Ochocinco thread in 2019??? That is the real question

How is there an Ochocinco thread in 2019??? That is the real question
After Thursday’s game when we see all our LBs in action:
Why didn’t Monty Beisel work out here?

The curse of Andy Johnson.

A combination of age and low football IQ imo

In an interview he described the offense in CIN w Palmer as very schoolyard-ish
Go long ... cut at the telephone pole ... stop quick at the sewer cap ... ah the good old days.

In Cincinnati the most difficult play to learn was: - On the count of 3 run to the dandelion patch and then turn right-. He never could find the dandelion patch at Gillette.

No, he was old.
I don't think intelligence was the issue. I think he couldn't be bothered learning the playbook.

I think FIFA on the Xbox got in the way.

Remember being so excited for him and haynesworth and both flopped here.

But the low key transactions- brian waters, andre carter(until ir’d), and another de (mark anderson i think was his name) worked out really well.

My theory: We could have acquired 30 year old Jerry Rice, 30 year old Terrell Owens, 30 year old Larry Fitzgerald, and 30 year old Calvin Johnson over the years and two of them wouldn't have been able to fully grasp the Pats offense. You can't know until they get here, and that's why Belichick shies away from making the giant swings at the position.

He couldn't intuitively grasp the post-snap sight adjustments required of WRs in the Patriots system -- adjusting routes on the fly to what defenders are doing so Brady knows where they're going to be. Other longtime vet WRs brought in as free agents have had the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back