PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Was Randy Moss better than Jerry “Sticky Fingers” Rice?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Moss or Rice?

• Moss

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Rice

Votes: 30 47.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moss could have been the GOAT NFL WR with Rices work ethic and attitude.

Rice worked harder. Rice was quoted that "he feared failure" when asked why he worked so hard.

Rice = Brady

Is Brady the most physical gifted QB that you ever seen? No. Greatest arm? No. Dedication and work made Brady the GOAT.

Rice = Bird

Bird used to shoot baskets in the rain back in Indiana. When asked why, Bird responded that "he worried that somebody else was working harder than he was"

No, Jim Brown is the greatest non-qb of all time- and many more knowledgeable NFL people agree with me more than you. But I'd put Rice next right behind Brown.
Rice is w/o question the greatest wr of all-time- and it's not close.

Ah, the old unsourced "many more knowledgeable NFL people agree with me" argument. Strangely enough, though, Rice won the NFL's own vote for greatest player ever.

You’ll have to explain that.
It's kind of like an Aaron Rodgers vs Tom Brady argument. Pure athleticism and physical talent only, Rodgers is probably "better." Extra **** you can't measure, clutchness, ability to elevate his team, long sustained success at the top of his position for damn near his whole career, and all-time status, then Brady's the man, or "greater."

It's kind of like an Aaron Rodgers vs Tom Brady argument. Pure athleticism and physical talent only, Rodgers is probably "better." Extra **** you can't measure, clutchness, ability to elevate his team, long sustained success at the top of his position for damn near his whole career, and all-time status, then Brady's the man, or "greater."
Aaron Rodgers is only better than Tom Brady to individuals who do not understand the game.
So what you are saying is people who don’t know what they are talking about use the word better and people who do use the word greater.
That is an epically stupid post.

Aaron Rodgers is only better than Tom Brady to individuals who do not understand the game.
So what you are saying is people who don’t know what they are talking about use the word better and people who do use the word greater.
That is an epically stupid post.
Football fans generally use the words greater and better to mean two different things, you're just an epically stupid person and can't differentiate the two. But that's ok. I did my best.

01 ~ A lot'f folks get "more talented" mixed up with "better".

02 ~ Moss was more talented than Rice. Sure.

03 ~ But Rice was the better Player.

TO deserve a shout out for being a monster in the playoffs. Insane Marvin Harrison made it first.

Y'know...that could be taken either one'f two ways.
39.gif

I understand what you are saying but the things you list (clutchness, ability to elevate his team and long sustained success) are things you can measure and when judging QBs must be measured.

Things like....

Wins
4th quarter comebacks
Super Bowls
Game tying/winning drives

...are all measurables.

Side Note:

01 ~ Randy Moss is now 41. 2012 was his last year. 6 years ago.

02 ~ At 41, Jerry Rice racked up 869 yards at 13.8 per on a horrible Raiders team.

03 ~ Hell, at 40, he racked up 1200 yards, the freak. :eek:

And yet he ran the 40 at, what? 5 minutes or so?? o_O

Evidently, he was pacing himself.
th_coffee.gif

Last edited:

Every time I see Aaron Rodgers compared to Tom Brady I cringe. Mostly because of something that was pointed out by Falcon fans.

Aaron Rodgers only has twelve 4th quarter comebacks in his entire career, which puts him among QBs named Ryan Tannehill and Matt Schaub, not Brady and Brees.

Here's the breakdown on the teams that he had those comebacks against.
Det - 3
Chi - 3
Dal - 2
Cin, Mia, NO, Sea - 1 each.

And now the kicker. Only one of those teams had a winning record at the time and that was the Dallas playoff loss when they ruled Dez Bryant didn't make the reception.

Here's the complete list;

NFL Fourth Quarter Comebacks Career Leaders (since 1960) | Pro-Football-Reference.com

I understand what you are saying but the things you list (clutchness, ability to elevate his team and long sustained success) are things you can measure and when judging QBs must be measured.

Things like....

Wins
4th quarter comebacks
Super Bowls
Game tying/winning drives

...are all measurables.
Sure, all of which are probably subjective in individual cases. Like a Trent Dilfer SB win is not the same as a Joe Montana SB win. A 19 point 4th quarter comeback in the SB isn't the same as a 4 point comeback. But that's just semantics. I think you get my drift

Sure, all of which are probably subjective in individual cases. Like a Trent Dilfer SB win is not the same as a Joe Montana SB win. A 19 point 4th quarter comeback in the SB isn't the same as a 4 point comeback. But that's just semantics. I think you get my drift
I do and agree which is why when judging a QB properly and measuring greatness requires multiple data points.

I think we would all agree Dan Mario was an elite QB but obviously there are a handful of other QBs you would want starting a Super Bowl.

Every time I see Aaron Rodgers compared to Tom Brady I cringe. Mostly because of something that was pointed out by Falcon fans.

Aaron Rodgers only has twelve 4th quarter comebacks in his entire career, which puts him among QBs named Ryan Tannehill and Matt Schaub, not Brady and Brees.

Here's the breakdown on the teams that he had those comebacks against.
Det - 3
Chi - 3
Dal - 2
Cin, Mia, NO, Sea - 1 each.

And now the kicker. Only one of those teams had a winning record at the time and that was the Dallas playoff loss when they ruled Dez Bryant didn't make the reception.

NFL Fourth Quarter Comebacks Career Leaders (since 1960) | Pro-Football-Reference.com
I remember when the Broncos played the Packers, I believe in 2015, when the Broncos got a lead on the Packers you knew you could basically call it a game there. Rodgers is a front runner unless the team he's down to sucks or is the Lions in a Hail Mary situation. I remember telling my buddy, who's a Broncos fan (and by extension became a Manning apologist) to remember the difference between a Brady-led team down to a great defense and a Rodgers team. That's when the AFCCG comeback fell short on the 2 pt conversion. He's got a lot of fight in him despite Rodgers being the flashier, probably more physically talented QB

He might be the best in history at setting up CBs. He could pull an Edelman and tear you up short all game, then blow by you once you started cheating up.

Regards,
Chris

Nicely said.

For a moment, there, I thought you were talking about Jordan.

What a rush, dude. :eek:

Ah, the old unsourced "many more knowledgeable NFL people agree with me" argument. Strangely enough, though, Rice won the NFL's own vote for greatest player ever.

Never saw that. Not doubting you. I wonder who exactly the voters were. Most people who've been around long enough to see both careers that I've heard, picked Brown( that includes BB).
But kinda dumb argument anyway. They're the 2 best nonqbs all time. Brown was arguably the most dominant player I've ever seen. But Rice was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing