PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: The myth of Tony Ugoh

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
A strange thing happened on draft day. As I was watching/reading various analysts bloviate about prospects, I noticed a recurrent theme: Tony Ugoh has already been inducted into the Draft Nerd Hall of Fame. Apparently Polian has hypnotized half the league and his own fan base into believing Ugoh has already become, or is on the verge of becoming, an elite LT. Happily, for Pats fans, there is no evidence to support that belief. Ugoh was the weak link in the Colt O-line, consistently gave up Qb pressures, missed 5 games with injury, was ineffective in the playoffs, and consistently abused when it counted. He is an excellent run blocker, though, just as in college for Arkansas, and would probably benefit from a move to guard.

Of course, the mere fact Polian picked Ugoh was enough for lap dogs around the league to sing the kid's praises, ignoring the unimpressive evidence on the field.

Last edited:
I remember hearing his name a few times. And when someone handed out "the grades" for each teams draft. They wrote Indy (A) because Tony Ugoh was really this years #1 pick

Ugoh is a fine LT and anyone who watches football without hatred knows this. I know the Colts are our biggest rivals but c'mon, this is stupid. Not many LT's can come in and play day one. I read an article somewhere that stated that Ugoh only gave up one sack and his stats were better than our beloved Matt Light. I know it's hard for some (even me at times) to look at players as players and not Colts but anyone who doesn't realize Ugoh can be a future Pro Bowler needs to get a grip.

Edit: And if I can ever track down the article that statistically showed Ugoh as one of the top 5 LT's in the league last year than Pony Express will feel like more of a douche homer than he already is.

Last edited:
A strange thing happened on draft day. As I was watching/reading various analysts bloviate about prospects, I noticed a recurrent theme: Tony Ugoh has already been inducted into the Draft Nerd Hall of Fame. Apparently Polian has hypnotized half the league and his own fan base into believing Ugoh has already become, or is on the verge of becoming, an elite LT. Happily, for Pats fans, there is no evidence to support that belief. Ugoh was the weak link in the Colt O-line, consistently gave up Qb pressures, missed 5 games with injury, was ineffective in the playoffs, and consistently abused when it counted. He is an excellent run blocker, though, just as in college for Arkansas, and would probably benefit from a move to guard.

Of course, the mere fact Polian picked Ugoh was enough for lap dogs around the league to sing the kid's praises, ignoring the unimpressive evidence on the field.

Um, Ugoh was a rookie. In college he lined up against fast or strong guys most weeks, unless a cream puff was scheduled. In his trial by fire he found out the NFL has fast AND strong guys every week and no cream puffs.

Um, Ugoh was a rookie. In college he lined up against fast or strong guys most weeks, unless a cream puff was scheduled. In his trial by fire he found out the NFL has fast AND strong guys every week and no cream puffs.

I agree. Beginning of last year I expected a much bigger drop off in play from the LT position for them, and was frustratingly surprised by how little pressure people got on Manning overall.

Part of that is the same thing that is happening with Brady. Manning is a good quarterback who is efficient and gets the ball out of there on time. That helps any o-lineman by reducing the amount of time they have to protect which can cover up some things.

But on top of that, Ugoh played extremely well for a rookie at possibly the hardest position on the o-line (maybe tied with center IMO).

I think he's a pro bowler in two years, if not this year... unfortunately :(

I agree. Beginning of last year I expected a much bigger drop off in play from the LT position for them, and was frustratingly surprised by how little pressure people got on Manning overall.

Part of that is the same thing that is happening with Brady. Manning is a good quarterback who is efficient and gets the ball out of there on time. That helps any o-lineman by reducing the amount of time they have to protect which can cover up some things.

But on top of that, Ugoh played extremely well for a rookie at possibly the hardest position on the o-line (maybe tied with center IMO).

I think he's a pro bowler in two years, if not this year... unfortunately :(

Good post. I hate the freakin' Colts just as much as the next guy. But you can't let hate get in the way of facts.

Ugoh is a fine LT and anyone who watches football without hatred knows this. I know the Colts are our biggest rivals but c'mon, this is stupid. Not many LT's can come in and play day one. I read an article somewhere that stated that Ugoh only gave up one sack and his stats were better than our beloved Matt Light. I know it's hard for some (even me at times) to look at players as players and not Colts but anyone who doesn't realize Ugoh can be a future Pro Bowler needs to get a grip.

Edit: And if I can ever track down the article that statistically showed Ugoh as one of the top 5 LT's in the league last year than Pony Express will feel like more of a douche homer than he already is.

No, this isn't stupid. If Ugoh only gave up one sack it was because Manning was aware of his weaknesses and got rid of the ball, incomplete, many times as he was being pressured. That is one of Manning's best talents. Ugoh was as overrated a pass blocker as I have seen in years. But he is solid blocking for the run game. So if you want to give him a gold star for that, be my guest.

Last edited:
No, this isn't stupid. If Ugoh only gave up one sack it was because Manning was aware of his weaknesses and got rid of the ball, incomplete, many times as he was being pressured. That is one of Manning's best talents. Ugoh was as overrated a pass blocker as I have seen in years. But he is solid blocking for the run game. So if you want to give him a gold star for that, be my guest.

Don't talk football. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Interesting how your first posts on a Patriot fan website are to dismiss the idea the Jaguars can go to the SB, and to praise the overrated blocking ability of Tony Ugoh... Hmmm....

That was uncalled for.

I don't agree, I'd love to say Tony Ugoh was overrated but I saw it differently. But I can certainly understand the other side of the argument too. I would even say, pro bowl or not, that Matt Light is overrated sometimes.

Because Brady can step up and avoid the rush, Light only has to make sure an edge rusher doesn't cut back to the middle. If he can ride them to the outside deeper behind the pocket, Brady's going to escape.

Manning MUST help to cover up some of Ugoh's deficiencies, but again, for a rookie I thought he held his own very well.

Why are you banging on the kid? He did a good job as a rookie stepping in to the starting left tackle spot, protecting the franchise's blindside. One penalty and 1.5 sacks in 11 games from that spot as a rookie is a damn good job.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/STATS/NFL_LiveScores.htm?link=rosters&id=11

Polian did a good job finding Ugoh as a replacement for a Pro Bowler that would have been the second rated tackle if he would have been in this year's draft and he got him at second round money instead of first.

Stats? To prove how good a tackle is? You can't be serious, John Clayton. Are you seriously saying that stats are a good eval of how good ANY football player is, nevermind a bloody lineman?! Look, I don't hate Ugoh and think he will develop nicely, but he is nowhere NEAR the top 10 left tackles in the league, nevermind top five. Wow, just wow.

Last edited:
You are being a homer though. I watch a few Colts games and Ugoh was actually one of the bright spots on that offensive line toward the end of the year. The beginning of the year, I will give you because he is a rookie and probably wasn't expecting to be blasted off the LOS on every play. But toward the middle and end of the year he started to come on. He'll be great on their line next year. I hate the guy simply because he wears a blue or white jersey with a horseshoe on his helmet. Maybe you should just admit that's the only reason you hate him?

Polian did a good job finding Ugoh as a replacement for a Pro Bowler that would have been the second rated tackle if he would have been in this year's draft and he got him at second round money instead of first.

Come on workhorse, you're smarter than that. THE SECOND HIGHEST RATED TACKLE IN THIS YEAR'S DRAFT?! Come on! That's just painful to the brain. Just painful.

Last edited:
Come on workhorse, you're smarter than that. THE SECOND HIGHEST RATED TACKLE IN THIS YEAR'S DRAFT?! Come on! That's just painful to the brain. Just painful.

That was all the talk with the talking heads. That if Ugoh was in the 2008 class he would be rated as the 2nd tackle behind Long. I know that many experts are just idiots getting paid to be on TV or whatever medium they are on, but I heard more than once from multiple sources. So those are their words and I'm just pointing them out. But given they way he stepped up last season, they can't be too far off. Regardless, there were 3 tackles taken in the top 15 picks and the Colts have Ugoh at a 2nd round contract rate.

A douchge is a fan of another team who pretends to be a Pats fan so he can build up his own team under the guise of being impartial. (As a newbie, you're a little free insulting long-time members. Oh, but I guess that's what I douche does, huh?)

You will never track down those stats. Ugoh was projected as a guard and will make a fine guard.

The only thing you and I agree on is that we both want Ugoh playing LT when the Colts and Pats play each other.

That was all the talk with the talking heads. That if Ugoh was in the 2008 class he would be rated as the 2nd tackle behind Long. I know that many experts are just idiots getting paid to be on TV or whatever medium they are on, but I heard more than once from multiple sources. So those are their words and I'm just pointing them out. But given they way he stepped up last season, they can't be too far off. Regardless, there were 3 tackles taken in the top 15 picks and the Colts have Ugoh at a 2nd round contract rate.

A number of talking heads had Clady graded higher than J Long, so I find it hard to believe Ugoh would've been rated higher than either of those two.

Last edited:
Ya'll are right. He sucks. Colts draft sucked, and pretty soon, your 3rd round QB will surpass PM. It's good to be the King, I guess.

Here is an interesting quote from ProFW on the Colts '08 draft:

Indianapolis
Having given up their first-round pick last year to land OLT Tony Ugoh detracted from the overall quality of this draft. Ugoh did start last season, but known competitiveness and durability concerns kept him from playing a good part of the season and leave the jury out on how good he will be.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Day/2008/teamgrades.htm

So I guess the praise for Mr. Ugoh is not universal.

Stats? To prove how good a tackle is? You can't be serious, John Clayton. Are you seriously saying that stats are a good eval of how good ANY football player is, nevermind a bloody lineman?! Look, I don't hate Ugoh and think he will develop nicely, but he is nowhere NEAR the top 10 left tackles in the league, nevermind top five. Wow, just wow.

Jericurl complimented my post... I feel kind of dirty now that I see what his standards are :p

You're spot on though. There's really no stat that can show the effectiveness of o-linemen. Sacks allowed is really inexact, yards per carry can be dependent on so many other people doing their jobs as well, and pancake blocks are only tracked in video games :p

Penalties is a good one, but you'd expect a Tony Dungy team to be disciplined, and it's only one aspect of the game.

I think he got off to a good start. I'm praying like hell for a sophomore jinx :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots