SOURCE:USA TODAY

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

OT: Terribly Off-Topic, Potentially Offensive Post

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Patjew, Jan 18, 2007.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +18
    It ended up being a humorous story, which relieved me, because in the beginning of your story it sounded like you were arrogantly making fun of a cab driver for not knowing English in Hong Kong.

2. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,361
    What a great idea! Now if I ever go anywhere outside the US again (difficult in AK time (after kids)), I will know how to get back to my hotel, etc. Thanks for the tip!

3. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,998
    What a great idea, can't believe it never occurred to me.

This is turning out to be a bizarrely informative thread. While we're on a roll, anybody have good recipe suggestions for leftover steak?

4. gomezcat

gomezcat Grumpy Englishman. Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15
    Have fun. If you need any tips on the rules, let us Englishmen know. We'll test you later on the difference between a silly mid off and a short mid on, the hook shot and the pull, a no-ball and a dead ball...... :p

This site may give you some pointers:

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/hosking/cricket/explanation.htm

Glad to see that you are enjoying Hong Kong. Have you dared to try the non-tourist Chinese Menu? :eek:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  5. Kasmir

Kasmir Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +775
    At the major hotels in Beijing or Shanghai, the doormen routinely give hotel location cards to guests who are leaving in taxis for that very reason.

6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +18
    Whatever happened to learning a bit of the native country's language? It can't be that hard to learn what the hotel sounds like in Chinese. I can't imagine someone going to France and being perplexed why the natives don't understand you. I think if you move to a foreign land, people shouldn't insist on using English and having people talk to you in English. It reeks of arrogance and a superiority complex.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  7. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,998
    Maverick, if you look back at the post you were responding to it's talking about hotels. When you travel a lot on business it's hard to even remember what city you're in when you wake up in the morning, let alone the name and address of the hotel in an unfamiliar language. There's no cultural arrogance in just wanting to be able to get back to your room at the end of the day!

8. mykl

mykl On the Roster

Ratings:
    +1
    Especially in China. As Kasmir already explained, Chinese is a tonal language and small mispronounciations can really screw up your intended meaning. Also, because of regional dialects, mutual understanding can be even harder. The nice thing is that although Mandarin and Cantonese sound completely different, they are written exactly the same. A Mandarin speaker and a Cantonese speaker will both write "panda" or "hotel" or "eggplant" in the same way. The problem with this however lies in that people living in Mainland China write differently than people living in Taiwan. Shortly after the split, Mao created a "simplified" system of characters that was adopted on the Mainland, while Taiwan continued to use the "complicated" system of characters. Ugh. Lord knows why this is the language I chose to learn.