Aaron Rodgers wants a new contract?

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
4vdcpw.gif

Nice timing. :whistle:

Last edited:
I'd tell him to go screw simply on principle, but in this case it would be cap prohibitive. Ripping up the old deal would accelerate $31 million in dead money, and that would be before whatever new deal was signed. I guess they could wait though before officially finalizing a new deal to mitigate that slightly (but only slightly).

The whole point of giving him $67 million in cash in 2018 is that means he gets less money than he is worth for the next few years.

They front loaded his deal two years ago. At the time I rambled on and on (on this forum) about how that might be the worst contract in NFL history. It made zero sense for Green Bay as they paid him about $80M in cash despite him having no leverage and opening up a situation like this where his modest annual salary doesn’t account for the monumental signing bonus he got.

Lol

Rodgers is such an enigma to me... Superb talent, but seems to shrink on most big stages. Always seems to get the most out of his receivers, but never gets his running game going. Appears to be overrated based on arm talent, but somehow won a Super Bowl with Mike McCarthy as his head coach, so he must be doing something right.

Too many question marks for me. Age, motivation, clutch ability, all at a cost that hamstring's your cap. That said, he instantly makes this team a playoff team, though I'm guessing he's not putting up with Meyers as his #1 for long, so we'd need to invest heavily there too. Plus with his age we'd need a 1st or 2nd round QB to start developing (which we probably do anyway).

Teams need to be careful about giving these large upfront bonuses as players then become "underpaid" from a salary perspective in the later years. If he truly wants more money then he needs to accept he will not have as much talent around him.

I don't care. It seems like most players when they have an MVP or OPOY/DPOY year ask for a new contract. Gilmore did it. Rodgers can be a major a-hole, but this is pretty much standard for NFL players.

There are going to be some really stupid extensions handed out this offseason as teams look to keep players at lower 2021 cap hits, so I suppose Rodgers is more deserving of that than most players.

A good example of his kind of contract is Kirk Cousins' two year, $66 million extension last March that has rolling guarantees to almost ensure he gets the full amount. All that just to save $10 million on the 2020 cap.

Last edited:
He's merely diverting attention away from another postseason failure. That said, GB would be absolutely foolish to let him weasel out of his contract. He's still the second most talented quarterback in the NFL. If they entertain the notion of trading him they would get a massive haul in return but they would be closing their championship window in the short-term. He also would provide a very short list of teams to play for and GB would likely only ship him to the AFC. Indianapolis would be an interesting landing spot. Also San Fran as a longshot if they decide to move on from JG... I think Rodgers would be a perfect fit for either of those two teams.

The Packers may have no choice. The article calls out that he has a 37M cap number but not that if traded it's a 31M cap hit in dead money and because the cap is going down the Packers are expected to be as of now 32M over the cap.

That puts two media rumors to bed. The Packers aren't moving AR and they aren't "going out to surround him with talent like the Bucs did for Brady".

AR is truly Teflon. All we heard was "he never has had an NFCCG at home" and that the Packers were stacked and that Lafleur and Rodgers were this perfect blend of system and talent. Now he's lost to a 43 year old QB at home it's that the Packers didn't surround him with enough talent and Lafleur choked, the defense gave up too many plays.......

Facts. Rodgers sucked in the red zone. He didn't convert Tampa's mistakes into points while Brady did do that with GB's turnovers. He could have run the potential tying TD in (with a 2 point conversion) and choked. He was late with the ball to Adams or that's a TD costing them 4 points.

Ten years after he retires I have to believe the narrative will settle down and he'll be viewed in the Steve Young tier not the Montana tier and certainly not the Brady tier. I think Mahomes is already above him.

He's merely diverting attention away from another postseason failure. That said, GB would be absolutely foolish to let him weasel out of his contract. He's still the second most talented quarterback in the NFL. If they entertain the notion of trading him they would get a massive haul in return but they would be closing their championship window in the short-term. He also would provide a very short list of teams to play for and GB would likely only ship him to the AFC. Indianapolis would be an interesting landing spot. Also San Fran as a longshot if they decide to move on from JG... I think Rodgers would be a perfect fit for either of those two teams.

He would hate submitting to Kyle Shanahan.

The Packers may have no choice. The article calls out that he has a 37M cap number but not that if traded it's a 31M cap hit in dead money and because the cap is going down the Packers are expected to be as of now 32M over the cap.
1611676843057.png

That puts two media rumors to bed. The Packers aren't moving AR and they aren't "going out to surround him with talent like the Bucs did for Brady".

AR is truly Teflon. All we heard was "he never has had an NFCCG at home" and that the Packers were stacked and that Lafleur and Rodgers were this perfect blend of system and talent. Now he's lost to a 43 year old QB at home it's that the Packers didn't surround him with enough talent and Lafleur choked, the defense gave up too many plays.......

Facts. Rodgers sucked in the red zone. He didn't convert Tampa's mistakes into points while Brady did do that with GB's turnovers. He could have run the potential tying TD in (with a 2 point conversion) and choked. He was late with the ball to Adams or that's a TD costing them 4 points.

Ten years after he retires I have to believe the narrative will settle down and he'll be viewed in the Steve Young tier not the Montana tier and certainly not the Brady tier. I think Mahomes is already above him.
SB appearances last 10 years

Brady: 6
Mahomes: 2
Rodgers 0

:oops:

is there a bigger cry baby in football than this dude?

he acts like he needs 90's dallas offensive line, prime Tomlinson, KC receivers, and the legion of boom

it's never his fault

Yeah, it's ugly. The Packers' version of Miguel put together a scenario that gets them under the cap by pushing almost $30 million of 2021 salaries to future years' caps and cutting three defensive starters and the top backup offensive tackle. That also means the starting center and running back would be leaving as free agents.

Link to avoid embedding the giant tweet

Yeah, it's ugly. The Packers' version of Miguel put together a scenario that gets them under the cap by pushing almost $30 million of 2021 salaries to future years' caps and cutting three defensive starters and the top backup offensive tackle. That also means the starting center and running back would be leaving as free agents.

Link to avoid embedding the giant tweet
2nd round tender for Tonyan I would say go get him.

He is an extremely talented player but there are times when an alleged all-time great QB has to finish off the drive and maybe even do it again to win a game and that has been his weakness throughout his career. Why stats do not always tell the story. GB was given chance after chance in the 4th quarter and he was unable to lead them on a TD drive.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back