PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport : Jamie Collins extension will eclipse Kuechly's $12.36m avg per year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't the pick associated with the trade conditional? I thought the pick was higher if the Browns retained him.

Pats get a third round conditional pick....if Browns get no conditional, Pats get Browns 4th round pick.......not much difference between the 2.....Looks like Pats will be getting Browns 4th if Jamie signs deal with them...

Wasn't the pick associated with the trade conditional? I thought the pick was higher if the Browns retained him.
All trades involving compensatory picks need to be conditional since those picks haven't been awarded yet. It was conditional based on whether the Browns get that third round comp pick or not, so essentially conditional on Alex Mack's health. Since Mack stayed healthy and played an incredibly high percentage of snaps, it's pretty unanimous among the experts that he will get the Browns a third round comp pick, which will then go to the Pats.

Pats get a third round conditional pick....if Browns get no conditional, Pats get Browns 4th round pick.......not much difference between the 2.....Looks like Pats will be getting Browns 4th if Jamie signs deal with them...
Patriots get 4th in 2018 if Browns don't get 3rd round comp pick in 2017. It's a big difference but it appears we (through the Browns) will get that #3 comp pick for Alex Mack.

Do you wanna clarify them because as far as I know we don't know that.

Did you not see the reports? His "contract demands" plus his free lancing as well as possible locker room cancer got him shipped out of town. Moss shot his mouth off and got sent to Minn.

You really think BB sent him for a "crappy" pick because he felt like it?

Did you not see the reports? His "contract demands" plus his free lancing as well as possible locker room cancer got him shipped out of town. Moss shot his mouth off and got sent to Minn

You really think BB sent him for a "crappy" pick because he felt like it?

I don't know why bill traded him. That was my point

Good for him if he can reset the linebacker market. That's pretty impressive, particularly given the year he's had in Cleveland (solid, but didn't think it was anything amazing).

That said, I'm quite happy with how the trade worked out. We have a better overall team even if the individual talent isn't as scintillating.

We have to remember that his stint with Cleveland was infinitely more successful than his last year in college, mathematically speaking.

That kind of money usually goes to a player that is great and a leader ... he really is neither.
He's a very good linebacker ... if there's a leader in there we never saw it.

Gotta wonder why he didn't wait and test the FA waters. Either the Browns are overpaying him, or his agent didn't think the market would be what they were hoping.
could be both. seems that is most likely, in fact.

This is good for the Pats. Sets some parameters for a future Hightower contract without having to extend an offer themselves.
may not be, depending on how much he is being overpaid.

we will see, I'm not going to hold my breath

Patriots get 4th in 2018 if Browns don't get 3rd round comp pick in 2017. It's a big difference but it appears we (through the Browns) will get that #3 comp pick for Alex Mack.

This is what bothered me about the whole thing.

Not that we traded Collins. I trust the coach that sees him everyday and knows what he is seeing.

I even trust that Belichick got the best value for him he could (barring other considerations like what team he goes to).

But if we don't get a 3rd in 2017 then WHY does it become a 4th in 2018?!

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying but a late 3rd this year should have the value of a late 2nd or an early third next year.

Another mistake by the lake?

But if we don't get a 3rd in 2017 then WHY does it become a 4th in 2018?!
Because Roger stole the highest 4th NE has in 2017 so NE couldn't ask for CLE's 2017 4th round pick as an alternative/replacement for the compensatory 3rd.

And because CLE (rightfully) wasn't going to give up their 2018 second-round pick for 8 games of a player.

Really, what this shows is that BB wanted Collins off the team pretty much no matter what.

Because Roger stole the highest 4th NE has in 2017 so NE couldn't ask for CLE's 2017 4th round pick as an alternative/replacement for the compensatory 3rd.

And because CLE (rightfully) wasn't going to give up their 2018 second-round pick for 8 games of a player.

Really, what this shows is that BB wanted Collins off the team pretty much no matter what.

It baffles me that people still don't understand all of that even after it has been chewed through thoroughly again and again.

But cashing in with 20% less salary with the Patriots, gives you fame, and it gives you a chance to win a Super Bowl every year. Which you would think would give you more endorsement deals to make up for the salary and you get to compete and win..

Money ain't everything. But maybe the Pats weren't even close to what he is going to make.

And of course TB is coming to the end of his career, so maybe the Super Bowls are less likely..

Brady is the only guy who makes serious coin from outside the field. Hightower is lucky if he gets 1/4 mill a year from spots. nothing to balance out taking 3 mill less to stay with the pats.

This is good for the Pats. Sets some parameters for a future Hightower contract without having to extend an offer themselves.
I don't think Hightower will use the guy they gave away as his comparison in contract talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes