PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: LIV Golf

Dustin Johnson got 125 million just for signing up. After he claimed loyalty to the PGA.

Evidently, they will have 8 events a year. Surely they've built some kick axx courses.
Theyre playing the International in Bolton...Horrendous course imo! Will be interesting to see how they play it

I mean, a lot of guys that joined have earned tons of money. Phils Net worth is over$400 Mil
Phil & I are motivated differently. With that much $, I’d focus on something more precious : time. But, I realize I’m the minority and I’ve heard many people on here suggest money is #1.

Theyre playing the International in Bolton...Horrendous course imo! Will be interesting to see how they play it
It was ok in it's heyday.

Oaks is not a tour course. Those guy are gonna be -10 after 1st round.

The Pines had way more length.

I'm thinking of going.

Surprised a rival football league doesn’t do this.

CFL stole Rocket Ismail from us back in the day…

Surprised a rival football league doesn’t do this.

CFL stole Rocket Ismail from us back in the day…
This whole situation has an early 80s USFL feel to it.....

It was ok in it's heyday.

Oaks is not a tour course. Those guy are gonna be -10 after 1st round.

The Pines had way more length.

I'm thinking of going.
Ya, im more so speaking of the conditions...If they havent completely done that over...Tour players will be in for a treat. I know it was sold and repurchased so maybe it did

Phil & I are motivated differently. With that much $, I’d focus on something more precious : time. But, I realize I’m the minority and I’ve heard many people on here suggest money is #1.
I think in general for most of the golfers its #1. I remember Dave Chappelle had an interview when he turned down the original Chappelle Show deal for like $60mil back in the day. He said something along the lines of...Im worth $100 mil now, what can I buy with another 60 that I cant now?

Ya, im more so speaking of the conditions...If they havent completely done that over...Tour players will be in for a treat. I know it was sold and repurchased so maybe it did
Yea I agree. I played it 4-5 years ago and was not as good as I had remembered.

According to:

Pines will be overhauled at the close of the 2022 season.

Oaks is/will be as well.

Yea I agree. I played it 4-5 years ago and was not as good as I had remembered.

According to:

Pines will be overhauled at the close of the 2022 season.

Oaks is/will be as well.
Ya for a state tournament a few years ago, the greens were punched! Its odd that theyre choosing to overhaul it at the end of the year but holda professional event anyway haha. Ill be interested to see how Phil plays there honestly...He hits it everywhere, and I feel like if you miss fairways there, you are like totally off the planet.

Ya for a state tournament a few years ago, the greens were punched!
Thats poor. Embarrassing.
Its odd that theyre choosing to overhaul it at the end of the year but holda professional event anyway haha.

Yea looks like the owners of Escalante Golf- which acq The Itl cut a deal w/ LIV to play somewhere else as well.
Ill be interested to see how Phil plays there honestly...He hits it everywhere, and I feel like if you miss fairways there, you are like totally off the planet.
I'd love to see how the pros play from the tips at a course I play a few times a year- Sugarloaf GC in ME.

The nice thing about guaranteed money is that it is guaranteed.

Why participate in a bunch of events where there is no guarantee of a payday, instead of doing a smaller number where there is a guaranteed (large) payday?

Seems to me this is why it's different than USFL vs NFL: The Saudis are offering something PGA events do not, a guaranteed big lump sum of cash.

It very well may be aging guys cashing in off their names, but NIL now has college guys who have done relatively nothing cashing in off their names so at least this is anti-ageist.

Personally, I'm surprised Tiger didn't go for it. High nine figures would almost double his net worth according to Forbes. His declining health should have made one last huge payday very tempting. Maybe he thinks the new league would be counter to his current business investments? Or maybe he's afraid the ex-wife would get half?

Personally, I'm surprised Tiger didn't go for it. High nine figures would almost double his net worth according to Forbes. His declining health should have made one last huge payday very tempting. Maybe he thinks the new league would be counter to his current business investments? Or maybe he's afraid the ex-wife would get half?
As Bryson DeChambeau has learned, there are sponsorships at stake for the people who leave the PGA tour, so it isn't all a positive. For some players, the gains might be minimal enough to not be worth their while.

Tiger certainly cares more about his golfing legacy than most. That was the best thing about Tiger, hes a true competitor

I hope players take the PGA to court.

Reality:
PGA players are required to operate as independent contractors and cover their own costs...ie caddies, travel, lodging....for a chance to perform in front of paying audiences with zero guaranteed income for their services. In fact half or more of the field in a typical tournament earns $0.
The PGA limits entries at every tournament, restricts entry at certain tournaments, and players are required to adhere to the whims of the PGA when requesting permission to boost income by entering non PGA events .

Anti-free agency tactics in pro team sports fell decades ago.
The NCAA is losing battles almost monthly as amateurs are no longer restricted from income opportunities.
And IMO, the PGA's authoritarian practices and monopolistic stranglehold on its members are ripe for a take down

Last edited:
The nice thing about guaranteed money is that it is guaranteed.

Why participate in a bunch of events where there is no guarantee of a payday, instead of doing a smaller number where there is a guaranteed (large) payday?

Seems to me this is why it's different than USFL vs NFL: The Saudis are offering something PGA events do not, a guaranteed big lump sum of cash.

It very well may be aging guys cashing in off their names, but NIL now has college guys who have done relatively nothing cashing in off their names so at least this is anti-ageist.

I think Tiger is in legacy - protection mode now. Moving to the LIV would be a seismic event.

Plus he makes ~$60m in endorsements annually.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back