PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Patriots Man Caves

This is one of my favorite subjects. Here are some pics of my basement man cave, which has been a work in progress for about three years.

Dude, you are my hero.....

================

Most of my stuff is in boxes....I need to set it all up.......hmmm....hmmm....maybe something like the Jobu shrine in "Major League", LOL.

And look at my cap collection in my sig line...I would need a WHOLE wall just for those caps...

Are the couches facing away from the screen so that they don’t have to watch a Redskins game?
It looks like it rotates... Looks like also cost $$$$$$$$

This is one of my favorite subjects. Here are some pics of my basement man cave, which has been a work in progress for about three years. Key recommendations: stadium seating is great for maximizing seating capacity in a small space, Philips Hue light bulbs and light strips are great for setting the scene. Also the wifi-connected hockey goal light is frickin sweet.

Grover, where did you get the high table that is behind the recliners? I've been looking for something similar for behind my recliners.

Here are some pics from Patriots/Penn State Man Cave. Excuse all of the toys, it is an overflow room for my twin 6 year olds

Do you like the HD projector experience vs. a HDTV?

I used to go to a bar with projectors...but I wonder about the in-home ones like you have.

I like the man cave ideas, but I'd worry that it might encourage company/visitors while I was watching a Patriots game.

Do you like the HD projector experience vs. a HDTV?

I used to go to a bar with projectors...but I wonder about the in-home ones like you have.

My first projector was put in place around 2006 back when even a 42" flat screen would set you back around $10k. I work for Penn State and large/heavy CRT projectors being retired from classrooms were pretty abundant. I used CRT projectors until about 3 years ago when mine finally died and smaller LCD projectors were actually affordable. My screen size is 120 inches so you would need a pretty big flat screen to take it's place. If you have control of your lighting and can have a pretty dark room, projectors do work pretty nice. But if I redid my home theater at today's prices I probably would buy an 86 inch LED TV instead.

I painted the walls Patriots blue. I tried red, but it was garish. I went with silver and blue with a couple red accents. I have a ton of memorabilia from family and friends I received as gifts. The walls are full of stuff.

Grover, where did you get the high table that is behind the recliners? I've been looking for something similar for behind my recliners.

It was a DIY project inspired by a picture I found on Etsy. I built it out of Home Depot pipes and a piece of butcher block counter top from Lowe's. I also made matching shelves and a side table with the leftover pieces of butcher block. I'd be happy to share details if you wanted to try something similar. You can find someone on Etsy to build this type of thing, but it costs a lot more that way, and there's something about a drinking on a DIY bar that makes the beer taste better. :)

Ian,

My mancave is 1250 sq ft. We downsized when my youngest daughter went off to college 3 1/2 years ago. She graduates in May. I had the basement finished with the intent of making it a mancave. Pictures will be forthcoming.

Here's a representative link from a custom builder on Etsy. Maybe you could get the price down by asking him to use regular wood instead of reclaimed barn wood. Still, the shipping would be significant. I think the total cost for my DIY was under $500 and it was fun. No brainer.

Reclaimed Barn Wood Sofa Bar Table - 8 Foot

Here's a representative link from a custom builder on Etsy. Maybe you could get the price down by asking him to use regular wood instead of reclaimed barn wood. Still, the shipping would be significant. I think the total cost for my DIY was under $500 and it was fun. No brainer.

Reclaimed Barn Wood Sofa Bar Table - 8 Foot

Thanks for the link. That does look really cool! I live in Central PA farm country so finding reclaimed barn wood shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks for the next project idea!

EDIT: I found this link online detailing a similar project to Grover's
Sofa Bar Table

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. That does look really cool! I live in Central PA farm country so finding reclaimed barn wood shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks for the next project idea!

EDIT: I found this link online detailing a similar project to Grover's
Sofa Bar Table

That's a really good write up. For what it's worth, here's a clearer photo of the frame I built and a couple of things to keep in mind.

1) You'll want the bar top to be 42" high and the underside to be no lower than about 40" so a standard bar stool fits under it comfortably.

2) Set the height of the long cross-bar to a good level to rest your feet on. I wasn't thinking about that when I built mine, but it has turned out to be really nice to have that bar where it is.

3) I used two short cross-bars on the sides of my bar. I think it adds visual interest, but it complicated the assembly because of the threads. You'll see what I mean if you try it. Things are simpler if you stick to just one cross-bar.

4) Try to select pipe lengths so that you don't have to cut any of the pipe. It's a bit of a puzzle figuring out how the lengths of the pipe and the fittings add up to whatever total distance you're after.

Hit me up if you have any questions!

Frame.JPG

That's a really good write up. For what it's worth, here's a clearer photo of the frame I built and a couple of things to keep in mind.

1) You'll want the bar top to be 42" high and the underside to be no lower than about 40" so a standard bar stool fits under it comfortably.

2) Set the height of the long cross-bar to a good level to rest your feet on. I wasn't thinking about that when I built mine, but it has turned out to be really nice to have that bar where it is.

3) I used two short cross-bars on the sides of my bar. I think it adds visual interest, but it complicated the assembly because of the threads. You'll see what I mean if you try it. Things are simpler if you stick to just one cross-bar.

4) Try to select pipe lengths so that you don't have to cut any of the pipe. It's a bit of a puzzle figuring out how the lengths of the pipe and the fittings add up to whatever total distance you're after.

View attachment 23050[/QUOTE

View attachment 23050

EDIT: Also, make sure you have a wall-hugging recliner or the set up won't work well.

I hope to one day be rich enough to have an entire room in my house devoted to a hobby.

photo upload failure.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back