PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Official 2021 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

2016 was bs. Most other publications gave Brady MVP but not the AP. He won as many games as Ryan despite a four game handicap. Ryan finishing #10 for NFL Top 100, voted by the players, is all you need to know.

At least in 2017 he won despite not having a spectacular year by his standards…somewhat balances it out.
People talk about Brees getting screwed, but he really only had 2009, 2011, 2018 as MVP level seasons.

Brady had 2008, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016. Yeah I'm counting 2008 because a guy who went 12-4 with a 27/12 ratio won.

Also Brady should have at least been 1st Team All-Pro in 2012. His running backs had 21 TD's compared to 7 for Rodgers and 12 for Manning. He also played the most difficult schedule of defenses out of the three.

I really want to see Brady gun for his 4th MVP this season. I know MVP's aren't as important as championships, MVP curse, etc. But he has been incredibly unlucky when it comes to those.

2008: We all know what happened this season. With the easy schedule the Patriots had and another year with those weapons, Brady would have thrown 4500ish yards/40ish touchdowns with a 13-3/14-2 record.

MVP Winner Peyton Manning
12-4 record
95.0 passer rating
4,002 passing yards
7.2 YPA
28 total touchdowns
12 interceptions
66.8%

Tom Brady guestimated
14-2 record
105.0 passer rating
4,700 passing yards
8.0 YPA
45 total touchdowns
10 interceptions
68.0%

2015: Before the entire team was wrecked by injuries, it was looking like Brady was going to win MVP over Newton. Newton finished the season on a hot streak while Brady didn't due to almost everyone around him getting injured or playing banged up. Newton definitely deserved this, but I believe that Brady wins with even average injury luck.

MVP Winner Cam Newton
15-1 record
99.4 passer rating
3,837 passing yards
7.8 YPA
45 total touchdowns
10 interceptions
59.8%

Tom Brady
12-4 record
102.2 passer rating
4,770 passing yards
7.6 YPA
39 total touchdowns
7 interceptions
64.4%

2016: Brady only plays 12 games since he is suspended for the dumbest reason in sports history. He comes back and lights up the NFL. Matt Ryan wins MVP playing all 16 games and having a historic season.

MVP Winner Matt Ryan
11-5 record
117.1 passer rating
4,944 passing yards
9.3 YPA
38 total touchdowns
7 interceptions
69.9%

Tom Brady
11-1 record
112.2 passer rating
3,554 passing yards
8.2 YPA
28 total touchdowns
2 interceptions
67.4%

If Brady had been able to play 16 games then I believe that we would have seen a 15-1 record, 37 TD/3 INT ratio, 4600 yards.
MVP? They would not even name him to the pro bowl last year with 40 Tds. Gave his spot to Murray whose team choked away the final playoff spot.

The way the main forum is talking up Mac as if he’s possibly better than Brady has convinced me that this fan base is in fact no smarter than any other and may in fact be dumber.

Nobody is saying Mac is potentially better than Brady. Some people are saying that Mac is looking better than Brady looked at first. Mac's game might be a little more polished than Tom was, but that's about it. Numbers are better because the league is different.

Some other people think Mac is showing some of the traits that made Tom great. Nobody is seriously saying he is going to be Tom Brady. Heck, most of the posts comparing their style/debut/potential say that it would be ludicrous to expect Mac to have the same level of success as Brady.

Thinking Mac will explode like Brady did is premature. Thinking he could repeat Tom's incredible achievements is lunacy. I think pretty much everybody agrees on that.

I guess it says more about you than it does about the fanbase if you are painting people being excited about the potential of their rookie QB with that broad of a brush...

MVP? They would not even name him to the pro bowl last year with 40 Tds. Gave his spot to Murray whose team choked away the final playoff spot.
Not only did his team choke, but Murray was a major part of it as he played crap towards the end.

Is it, though? Is that really a certainty at this point?
I always liked Hunter Henry. He should be a top 10 TE as long as he stays healthy.

For Jonnu Smith, as the 4th highest paid TE, I can't imagine BB paying him that kind of cash without expecting big things from him. BB doesn't normally give big contracts to receivers.

I never heard of him before he arrived in NE but he's got to be good?

Btw, Brady and Gronk still playing for a hometown discount. Brady is the 14th highest paid QB and Gronk is 11th.

Btw, Brady and Gronk still playing for a hometown discount. Brady is the 14th highest paid QB and Gronk is 11th.
That 4th round pick Tampa gave us for Gronk is looking criminal.

It was interesting. Mazz was saying last week that when he saw how great Gronk looked vs Dallas that it made him think he quit on us. I guess he forgot that Bill tried to trade him in 2018 and never gave him more money despite Gronk being the best TE in the league for years. It is embarrassing that we are paying both Smith and Henry more than we ever paid Gronk.

What's interesting to me is that a media member came out today and acknowledged that the MVP is a "narrative award", and that was why he had Dak as his leading MVP candidate.

What I find interesting about it is that Brady outplayed Dak in the first game of the year, and yet has gotten literally zero talk about MVP possibilities, as far as I've seen or heard. So, apparently, "44 year old man wins MVP" is not a good enough narrative for this year's media horde.

That was more about the stupidity of the voting process. Normally, you have to finalize pro bowl voting just as the season ends, so the bulk of the voting is done before week 12.

Last year, due to Covid, there was no actual pro pro bowl, so there was no reason to rush it. They could have selected the pro bowl team after the season ended, in which case Brady clearly had surpassed Murray. Instead most of the voting took place at Brady’s low point and Murray’s high point. Even still, it was close.

Would have been the record-setting 15th Pro Bowl.

What's interesting to me is that a media member came out today and acknowledged that the MVP is a "narrative award", and that was why he had Dak as his leading MVP candidate.

What I find interesting about it is that Brady outplayed Dak in the first game of the year, and yet has gotten literally zero talk about MVP possibilities, as far as I've seen or heard. So, apparently, "44 year old man wins MVP" is not a good enough narrative for this year's media horde.
How embarrassing to call and MVP award a narrative. Just further confirms how meaningless these "awards" really are in the grand scheme.

How embarrassing to call and MVP award a narrative. Just further confirms how meaningless these "awards" really are in the grand scheme.
The guy was right, though. The MVP award is just a narrative award, and that's not just in football. We see the same thing in basketball. But, in football, think about Manning's MVPs. Think about the Wentz year, where people were calling him all but a shoe-in before he was hurt, in comparison to the Brady suspension year. Think about the now annual bemoaning f Russell Wilson's failed MVP candidacies. Etc...

Pinion is such a great name for a punter. He pinned Dallas all night.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back