Next Up: at Bills
Pick Results: NE: 83.1% at BUF: 16.9%

Mon
Dec 6th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

MAC10

Upper Crust
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Does it matter? The fact is before Brady arrived they hadn't won a playoff game in almost 2 decades and haven't even made the playoffs since 2007. That's not what I'd call an "all star team"/ Team of all stars/crew of all stars or whatever you want to call it.

The evidence says Brady pretty much singlehandedly made them a Super Bowl team. He brings a lot more to the team than just what's on the field.

You know as well as I do that a team full of talented players, except at QB, and poor coaching isn't going to get very far. That was what Tampa was before 2020. In 2019, Tampa had a 1300 yard, 8TD receiver in Godwin and an 1200 8 TD receiver in Evans as well as the number 1 ranked rush defense. And on top of that Tampa was 7th ranked in sacks in 2019. Brady also brought along Gronk, Brown, and Fournette, so while Brady may have been the most important element to Tampa's SB win last year, he did not single handily do it. that's nonsense - no player alone can do all that.

Last edited:

sb1

Hall of Fame Poster
You know as well as I do that a team full of talented players, except at QB, and poor coaching isn't going to get very far. That was what Tampa was before 2020. In 2019, Tampa had a 1300 yard, 8TD receiver in Godwin and an 1200 8 TD receiver in Evans as well as the number 1 ranked rush defense. And on top of that Tampa was 7th ranked in sacks in 2019. Brady also brought along Gronk, Brown, and Fournette, so while Brady may have been the most important element to Tampa's SB win last year, he did not single handily do it. that's nonsense
Well if you prefer another word than singlehandedly I'm also good with saying Brady alone was the difference between 7-9 and Super Bowl, just like Brady alone last year was the difference between playoffs and no playoffs for the Patriots. Which he was on both counts. That's what the evidence says and you're right that he brought those guys along but that's why I said he brings so much more to a team than what he can do on offense.

Ice_Ice_Brady

Antonio Brown’s New Live-In Chef
PatsFans.com Supporter
brady isn’t dumb pay the defense and give Godwin’s salary to Odell/AB

Godwin is really good and still has years left in his prime; he's the most essential player to that offense besides the oft-injured, aging AB and Gronk. I think paying big money for big time players makes sense. Godwin (FA in 2022) and Vea (FA in 2023) should be their top priorities going forward. I think everyone else (Davis, Howard, Pierre-Paul, Suh, Jensen) will just have to take a a reasonable deal or else they can be replaced. None of those guys are really irreplaceable, and the downgrade to an average player would hurt but not as badly as with losing a major player.

I'd also put Fournette in the must-sign category now. He has improved so much since last year with his blocking and pass catching, and he's such a versatile player now. If they can get him in the $3-5M range again, he's a steal. He can do 80% of what Kamara and McCaffrey can do, and the major difference is usage/volume. Not sure if Bernard has just struggled with production/injuries or if the team has decided Fournette is simply better now coming out of the backfield.

carmelo15

In the Starting Line-Up
Godwin is really good and still has years left in his prime; he's the most essential player to that offense besides the oft-injured, aging AB and Gronk. I think paying big money for big time players makes sense. Godwin (FA in 2022) and Vea (FA in 2023) should be their top priorities going forward. I think everyone else (Davis, Howard, Pierre-Paul, Suh, Jensen) will just have to take a a reasonable deal or else they can be replaced. None of those guys are really irreplaceable, and the downgrade to an average player would hurt but not as badly as with losing a major player.

I'd also put Fournette in the must-sign category now. He has improved so much since last year with his blocking and pass catching, and he's such a versatile player now. If they can get him in the $3-5M range again, he's a steal. He can do 80% of what Kamara and McCaffrey can do, and the major difference is usage/volume. Not sure if Bernard has just struggled with production/injuries or if the team has decided Fournette is simply better now coming out of the backfield.

They can’t afford to lose Davis he’s there best corner so he’ll get paid and than I expect them to keep the oline together so they should get paid. I just don’t see how you pay Godwin when you’re paying Evans and can get Odell at a cheaper price. This is also assuming Odell shoes promise which he should in LA and he loves Brady so he would be too pricey

Ice_Ice_Brady

Antonio Brown’s New Live-In Chef
PatsFans.com Supporter
They can’t afford to lose Davis he’s there best corner so he’ll get paid and than I expect them to keep the oline together so they should get paid. I just don’t see how you pay Godwin when you’re paying Evans and can get Odell at a cheaper price. This is also assuming Odell shoes promise which he should in LA and he loves Brady so he would be too pricey

I respectfully disagree that Davis should take priority over Godwin. Simply because he’s their own #1 corner doesn’t make him a great corner league-wide. They’ll ultimately start getting negative results (they arguably are already with Barrett) if they simply look at players only in terms of familiarity with their own system rather than also accounting for league-wide value and alternative, cheaper options. Most of their players will have an inflated value because they’re coming from a winning program.

Odell? He’s not an alt option for Godwin. He would make more sense to replace Evans as an outside/red zone big play guy even though he’d be much worse than Evans. He doesn’t run the same routes as Godwin though.

VectorPrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
This is all silly. If enough players continue to agree to restructures they can find enough cap space to pay everyone. There will be a price to pay in the end but I would bet that no Bucs fan on earth cares.

amfootball

In the Starting Line-Up
Bucs are pretty safely out of the 4 seed which saves them from a first round matchup with the Rams or Cardinals
I would love to see the Rams beat the Packers but I am not very confident. Rodgers is not practicing again this week because of the toe. That could effect things somewhat. Would be great to see them get the 4th loss.

If the Rams do lose they are not a lock to get the 5th seed. Minny has 5 losses and the Niners too. There are also a bunch of teams at 5-6.

Haterproof

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
I would love to see the Rams beat the Packers but I am not very confident. Rodgers is not practicing again this week because of the toe. That could effect things somewhat. Would be great to see them get the 4th loss.

If the Rams do lose they are not a lock to get the 5th seed. Minny has 5 losses and the Niners too. There are also a bunch of teams at 5-6.
The great thing from the Bucs perspective is that one of the two teams is going to get another loss!