PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NBA Draft - Trades - Free Agents

No idea what Danny will do tonite, but will surely cause a lot of WTF is he doing moments, tomorrow. Great fodder for sportstalk radio..

So many mocks out there being bandied about, still does not stoke that passion that the NFL draft does... many of these guys will take time to develop and then they hit free agency or LeBron will choose where they go..

Pull of some sort of trade.. Herr0?? Bol?? Washington?? Johnson?? Clarke?? the beat goes on.. stay tuned.

No idea what Danny will do tonite, but will surely cause a lot of WTF is he doing moments, tomorrow. Great fodder for sportstalk radio..

So many mocks out there being bandied about, still does not stoke that passion that the NFL draft does... many of these guys will take time to develop and then they hit free agency or LeBron will choose where they go..

Pull of some sort of trade.. Herr0?? Bol?? Washington?? Johnson?? Clarke?? the beat goes on.. stay tuned.
I think anything goes tonight.

As of right now Danny is planning for 2019 without Diva Kyrie, Al and Scary. They have $20m in cap room, not a ton but if they make a couple of moves tonight (unload picks, move up or trade them, move current contracts) they theoretically could take on another max deal.

Last edited:
I think an outside shooter and a rebounder are draft priorities. What I don't want to see is another "project" to be stashed overseas.

or they could trade him to OKC for Steven Adams .... Thunder are looking to get under the luxury tax and the numbers would work perfectly.......
The Big Kiwi.
Good player. Whats his contract? I can go look. Thought he was making big money?

I said that if were GM and wanted to add AD, I would have offered a package of Brown, Smart, Rozier, and any combination of the 5 picks the C's have over the next 2 years that got the deal done. That also presupposed that Kyrie and Horford would be on the team. That would be the basis of a team that would have a shot at it all, and worth the one year rental for AD. And that ASSUMES I thought AD was worth it for a one year rental. Personally I'm not sure that he is. That clearly isn't as good a deal as NO got from LA

But since AD is likely gone and so is Horford, it would be ideal IMHO to get one of the 3 top PG's to develop behind Rozier and Smart.

The issue here is whether the C's have enough to get into the top 6 or 7. Some people think they can. You think they can. I don't know. Atlanta has 2 picks better than the C's but they took a top PG last season. I can't see them moving up to get another.

NO might be shopping that #4 pick taking a numbers approach after they take Zion. Given having Ball now drafting one of the top PG's might not be of interest to them. The C's have the picks and the need. It wouldn't shock me if they pull something off. ORRRRRR you'll be right. ;)

That scenario of giving away Brown, Smart and Rozier plus picks is a desperation move when your team's biggest issues were 1) Kyrie Diva Irving and 2) Gordon Heyward.

Jaylen Brown is 22-years-old and hasn't scratched the surface of his ability to contribute. Marcus Smart is steel of this team - think Logan Mankins. and Rozier has demonstrated that he may be the best backup point guard in the NBA., and will come back relatively inexpensively.

Ainge needs to work something out with Horford since he's a proven winner and gets better when the playoffs roll around. Horford is especially good when paired with Aron Baynes. They need to sort out the Gordon Heyward situation which is a coach-player-GM issue. What exactly is his role? Who does he platoon with? Do they draft a platoon player with size and shooting ability (Grant Williams?) who can also spell Tatum, or do they think the big bruiser they drafted last year from Texas Tech can be the change-of pace guy at the 4?

Replacing Irving is the major issue. I'd like to see them make a run at Kemba Walker who can score, handle the ball, and really is a leader. He loves NC and NC loves Kemba, so maybe that could never happen. But the Celtics can offer the chance to get to the finals in the East which Charlotte cannot.

The Big Kiwi.
Good player. Whats his contract? I can go look. Thought he was making big money?

27M/per for the next 2....we currently have the space to do that provided we trade baynes

That scenario of giving away Brown, Smart and Rozier plus picks is a desperation move when your team's biggest issues were 1) Kyrie Diva Irving and 2) Gordon Heyward.

Jaylen Brown is 22-years-old and hasn't scratched the surface of his ability to contribute. Marcus Smart is steel of this team - think Logan Mankins. and Rozier has demonstrated that he may be the best backup point guard in the NBA., and will come back relatively inexpensively.

Ainge needs to work something out with Horford since he's a proven winner and gets better when the playoffs roll around. Horford is especially good when paired with Aron Baynes. They need to sort out the Gordon Heyward situation which is a coach-player-GM issue. What exactly is his role? Who does he platoon with? Do they draft a platoon player with size and shooting ability (Grant Williams?) who can also spell Tatum, or do they think the big bruiser they drafted last year from Texas Tech can be the change-of pace guy at the 4?

Replacing Irving is the major issue. I'd like to see them make a run at Kemba Walker who can score, handle the ball, and really is a leader. He loves NC and NC loves Kemba, so maybe that could never happen. But the Celtics can offer the chance to get to the finals in the East which Charlotte cannot.

Here's the problem, as it currently appears to me:

• They're losing Irving without compensation.
  • They're losing Horford without compensation.
  • They don't have any other major pieces besides Tatum and Brown.

They've got some money for a good, though not max, type of player, but not much swappable talent for trades. And, if you do get Horford back, you lose the money for that free agent, making it a push in that sense. So, beyond that sort of second/their tier FA signing, the more likely scenarios involve finding distressed properties (unhappy players) for dump trades, combining draft picks to move up a couple of slots, pushing draft picks into the future, or being stuck taking 3 1st rounders in what's thought to be a very weak draft.

Interesting....from Baynes

Interesting. By 'we' I imagine he means 'Kyrie', which sort of confirms a lot of things. Still a lot of concern with Stevens going forward though. Kyrie might be the epicest of douches, but there's 14 other guys on the team. No benchings, no minutes cut, no fines, nothing. Unless that edict came straight from Ainge to let him do what he wants (possible), then that concern is still there.

Interesting. By 'we' I imagine he means 'Kyrie', which sort of confirms a lot of things. Still a lot of concern with Stevens going forward though. Kyrie might be the epicest of douches, but there's 14 other guys on the team. No benchings, no minutes cut, no fines, nothing. Unless that edict came straight from Ainge to let him do what he wants (possible), then that concern is still there.
There were plenty of minutes cut. Brown, Smart, Baines and Scary all had their minutes cut and Tatum was pulled from games frequently for taking bad shots, TOs and sloppy D.

Kyrie was a first class a-hole and undermined Stevens frequently. If anyone deserved to be benched and fined, it was him.

Larry Bird ain’t coming through that door.

or they could trade him to OKC for Steven Adams .... Thunder are looking to get under the luxury tax and the numbers would work perfectly.......
Love Adams ... he would fit right in.

Too bad. He'd score 35 a game.
Use to love Hoop from Russell to Pierce. The days the game was played fundamentally and multi faceted. Now it is who’s turn is it to heave up a three.
That said I will watch the draft because I’m addicted to the wheelin and dealin and uncertainty.
This is a rebuild again. Big time players do not want to come here or stay here and every GM is afraid to trade with Ainge.

Given their needs, I’d consider a Bol Bol Carson Edwards combo a win for Boston.

I just read a few WEEI draft articles so I am as prepped as I chose to be. I read that Rozier is as much of a **** as Kyrie and won't be back. I quickly scanned 16 experts picks for our 3 1st round draft picks and found there was no point guards selected. Since it appears to be the Celtics biggest need they should trade up or get a veteran for a pick or two. They survived with an average center so they can find another one who is younger and cheaper.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back