PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Irvin accused of Rape

Two sides of the coin. There are those people who look at a celebrity as an easy mark to make an accusation against because they may pay to make it go away. On the flip side there are those women ( correction- victims of sexual assault) who are afraid of the power and money of a celebrity and are reluctant to come forward because of fear they won't be believed and the lawyers will rip them apart. That is why it can go on for years as in Sandusky and if allegations are true Bill Cosby...

Unfortunately, and I understand this isn't a good pillar for an argument, it operates under the school of thought of how women tend to not report for fear that no one will believe them. Which obviously doesn't create data. And when you take a look at how a lot of people have been treated in rape cases, through interrogative questions and victim blaming, it's not necessarily an absurd argument.

That being said, when I have some free time at work I'll see if I can dig up some data.
Fair enough, Vindicate.

Irvin's net worth is $15M. I don't think that qualifies as filthy rich. As we've seen in some highly publicized rape accusations, being accused doesn't automatically mean one did it either.
That's f###### filthy enough for me...

Two sides of the coin. There are those people who look at a celebrity as an easy mark to make an accusation against because they may pay to make it go away. On the flip side there are those women ( correction- victims of sexual assault) who are afraid of the power and money of a celebrity and are reluctant to come forward because of fear they won't be believed and the lawyers will rip them apart. That is why it can go on for years as in Sandusky and if allegations are true Bill Cosby...
Ironically, this is the very reason I'm more skeptical of the ones that do report it in high profile situations especially. I have a cousin who works with rape and sexual abuse victims every day and the truth is a VAST majority would rather stay quiet in hopes that they can just move on with life. They feel a tremendous shame and don't see any gain in reporting it, in part because of what you mentioned and because they feel it'll just continue to breathe life into the painful memories. They relive the events each time they must tell the story. Thus, a lot of them don't even care about the potential for justice, unfortunately. They simply want it in the rear view. They also tend to stay quiet because the situations aren't as random as they seem usually. They often have had an ongoing relationship, even if only a short one, with these men. And I've learned that a great many actually feel a sense of responsibility in not wanting to be the one to ruin the man, believe it or not. Some of them care about the men and some of them don't want to be judged by friends and family out for gain.

A lot of the women who do end up reporting it, as unfairly as it may be to say it, are looking to gain something. Not every one of them, but a lot of them. They don't care about any of the aforementioned things. They see a way to get something, most often money, and they go for it. Like the true victims, they may have been promised stardom, love, security, a better life for loved ones and they find that they are lied to by the guy. Now all bets are off.

But your premise is overall understood and appreciated. I just wanted to add to it because there's so much more to it. My ex was also sexually abused by her cousin at 9 years and she, her mother and her sisters have kept it a secret from the family into her 30's. It does happen.

Last edited:
Ironically, this is the very reason I'm more skeptical of the ones that do report it in high profile situations especially. I have a cousin who works with rape and sexual abuse victims every day and the truth is a VAST majority would rather stay quiet in hopes that they can just move on with life. They feel a tremendous shame and don't see any gain in reporting it, in part because of what you mentioned and because they feel it'll just continue to breathe life into the painful memories. They relive the events each time they must tell the story. Thus, a lot of them don't even care about the potential for justice, unfortunately. They simply want it in the rear view. They also tend to stay quiet because the situations aren't as random as they seem usually. They often have had an ongoing relationship, even if only a short one, with these men. And I've learned that a great many actually feel a sense of responsibility in not wanting to be the one to ruin the man, believe it or not. Some of them care about the men and some of them don't want to be judged by friends and family out for gain.

A lot of the women who do end up reporting it, as unfairly as it may be to say it, are looking to gain something. Not every one of them, but a lot of them. They don't care about any of the aforementioned things. They are a way to get something, most often money, and they go for it. Like the true victims, they may have been promised stardom, love, security, a better life for loved ones and they find that they are lied to by the guy. Now all bets are off.

But your premise is overall understood and appreciated. I just wanted to add to it because there's so much more to it. My ex was also sexually abused by her cousin at 9 years and she, her mother and her sisters have kept it a secret from the family into her 30's. It does happen.

I've always thought the Desiree Washington rape accusation against Mike Tyson was a financial calculation from the very beginning.

Last edited:
Dude, Brady was accused (and, essentially, convicted) of masterminding a deflated football scheme with no evidence. This is also an accusation with (so far) no evidence. If you had the opinion that he's automatically guilty of the crime because he was accused of it, then you'd really be no better than Goodell.

I'm not trying to make light of the crime, but we don't yet have any reason to assume, much less confirm, guilt.

And Brady was Convicted & Executed by Public Opinion with no shred of evidence of any guilt.

That doesn't mean it was nothing those other times...thing about being filthy rich is you can just pay people off.

All the women I've known who have been the victim of a sexual crime all said they would never take money to shut up and would not believe a woman who would take money.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it's actually less than I expected. I thought it would have been somewhere between $30-$40M.

No, i totally agree with you. I would have expected a player of Irvin's stature to be worth much more. Vast majority of players don't like to save their money. They are not educated in finances and once they hit it big they spend like crazy.

Unfortunately, and I understand this isn't a good pillar for an argument, it operates under the school of thought of how women tend to not report for fear that no one will believe them. Which obviously doesn't create data. And when you take a look at how a lot of people have been treated in rape cases, through interrogative questions and victim blaming, it's not necessarily an absurd argument.

That being said, when I have some free time at work I'll see if I can dig up some data.

I don't know if this is accurate, but if it EVEN CLOSE to being accurate, rapes are stunningly under-punished.
The Criminal Justice System: Statistics | RAINN

Out_Of_1000_Rapes%20122016.png

Rape is a horrible thing. What's scary, as a man, is I've read a decent amount of stories where the claim was found to be false, so forced sex, or the claim of it, can be used as a weapon to get back at someone. And of course there are many cases where the claim is true, prisons are full of rapists. So it's just a horrible thing either way. I don't know what I'd do if a relative of mine claimed what this woman is claiming. I'd probably want to mess the guilty party up real bad.

And those people who do that are vile pieces of **** who should rot in prison. Every time they do that they're harming survivors of sexual assault. They're just as bad as the people who sexually assault. I hate all those pieces of ****! :mad:

Last edited:
And those people who do that are vile pieces of **** who should rot in prison. Every time they do that they're harming survivors of sexual assault. They're just as bad as the people who sexually assault. I hate all those pieces of ****! :mad:
If it's found that happened, they should do the amount of time that the suspect would have gotten, if convicted.

Rape is a horrible thing. What's scary, as a man, is I've read a decent amount of stories where the claim was found to be false, so forced sex, or the claim of it, can be used as a weapon to get back at someone. And of course there are many cases where the claim is true, prisons are full of rapists. So it's just a horrible thing either way. I don't know what I'd do if a relative of mine claimed what this woman is claiming. I'd probably want to mess the guilty party up real bad.

Yes, but unlike Ray Lewis, you would not kill a guy.

That doesn't mean it was nothing those other times...thing about being filthy rich is you can just pay people off.
Unless he's made some incredible investments, I doubt that Irvin is "filthy rich." But what he is, is a very high profile guy who is always a potential target for someone who might try to make a buck off of an encounter with him. If he put himself in the position of being alone in a hotel room with a woman he did not know, then I'd be willing to add "dumb" to that characterization.

I don't think allegations of rape should ever be dismissed out of hand, but, in this case, I'm going to wait to hear the results of an investigation, suspend judgment and give Irvin a very big presumption of innocence.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back