PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mahomes says he is eyeing a 20-0 season

Nothing wrong with him saying it, but it is really meaningless. The ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl, whether you are 10-7 in the regular season, or 17-0. The short-term goal is to win week 1. Go 12-0 or so to start, then you can think about it.

No problem with him saying this. It ain’t happening though, the Pats going 18-0 involved some divine intervention stuff at a couple points. It’s not simply about talent.
This is it. There's some biblical **** taking place. It's not about their talent vs the rest of the league or who they're playing that day.

It's about injuries, coaching decisions, player chemistry, weather and a lot of other things coming into play at the same time.

That Pats team wasn't just great. They recognized what they had and really came together as a team even though there were a lot of new & moving parts. That had to help during those tight games ... Indy, Giants and 2nd Jete. Phila was also 50/50, I remember a few nice rec's to end that game I believe.

And who could forget about Rex Ryan! He'll always have a special place with me. Gave us that game when he was a DC, not even a HC. Smart dude but no impulse control to save his life.

Obviously we couldn’t have known it at the time but that week 17 game against the Giants directly led to our downfall just like our regular season game in 2001 against the Rams led to theirs. Both games proved to the underdog that they could hang with this supposed juggernaut and more importantly taught them their vulnerabilities. Giants learned that it didn’t matter if they had the Pats down the whole game, there was no winning in a shootout. So they went into the Super Bowl dead set on making sure we didn’t score more than 17. And despite Brady (and all of us) laughing at that claim it worked.

It’s also why I despise Favre for choking away that NFCCG because we’d have kicked the Packers ass.

Obviously we couldn’t have known it at the time but that week 17 game against the Giants directly led to our downfall just like our regular season game in 2001 against the Rams led to theirs. Both games proved to the underdog that they could hang with this supposed juggernaut and more importantly taught them their vulnerabilities. Giants learned that it didn’t matter if they had the Pats down the whole game, there was no winning in a shootout. So they went into the Super Bowl dead set on making sure we didn’t score more than 17. And despite Brady (and all of us) laughing at that claim it worked.
Brady's sprained ankle (From San Diego game) + Neal's injury + Banged up TEs + Bad officiating on Giants' desperation drive

That's what did them in.

I Don’t wanna be that guy but you could theoretically have 2 teams in the same conference be undefeated which means one plays the wild card round
No you couldn't. Teams in the same division play each other twice. The best you could do is 15-0-2 in the regular season and that would involve some pretty severe collusion

No you couldn't. Teams in the same division play each other twice. The best you could do is 15-0-2 in the regular season and that would involve some pretty severe collusion
Division ≠ Conference

Brady's sprained ankle (From San Diego game) + Neal's injury + Banged up TEs + Bad officiating on Giants' desperation drive

That's what did them in.
This + Light, Mankins, and Kaczur deciding to masquerade as turnstiles.

I don’t even remember at this point if Koppen and Hochstein **** the bed either. The other three getting destroyed by the defensive line is seared into my memory.

Last edited:
At first I thought this was going to be a ridiculous misquote, but I see this guy is supremely ****y for a player who has now **** the bed in two consecutive Super Bowls.

Last edited:

That's what did them in.

Not gonna ever blame officiating because it should never have come down to us needing to defend a 14-10 lead but yes those other things were problems. It also goes to show you how Brady with a bum ankle and a disastrous offensive line against an all time front 4 kept his team in the game while Mahomes with an alleged but not proven hurt ankle playing against a good defensive line got absolutely embarrassed.

The blueprint is out there now.

Zero chance pat sorry

At first I thought this was going to be a ridiculous misquote, but I see this guy is supremely ****y for a player who has now **** the bed in two consecutive Super Bowls.
He needs a Belichick

Speaking of undefeated seasons - flashback to a couple of Mercury Morris gems when the Patriots were about to go for the perfect season:

“They got more icebergs to go. They’re going through on this Titanic trip that they’re talking about. So far nobody’s made it across there except us. So we’re over here, we’re docked. We’re waiting here for ya. Right now they haven’t done this. Don’t call me when you’re in my town. Call me when you’re on my block. And when I see you next door, when you’re moving in your furniture, that’s when I know you’re going to play for the championship. And if you win, I’ll be dressed in a tuxedo and I’ll be waiting with my bride.”
After they made the Super Bowl
“OK, they’re on my block. They approaching on the street where I live. The question is, will they be able to park. On February 3, 2007. One thing’s to be on that street, another thing’s to get out and look at that real estate.”
Alrighty then! o_O

That's what did them in.
So did the obvious and fabricated distraction off the field.

But yeah a healthy Brady and I think that puts them over the top. Just like a healthy Gronk makes a difference in 2011. Giants knew his high ankle sprain was a problem for him and I'm sure taking advantage was part of their game plan.

Regardless of the outcome - I still agree with Tom Brady that the 07 Pats are the greatest NFL team of all time.

So did the obvious and fabricated distraction off the field.

But yeah a healthy Brady and I think that puts them over the top. Just like a healthy Gronk makes a difference in 2011. Giants knew his high ankle sprain was a problem for him and I'm sure taking advantage was part of their game plan.

Regardless of the outcome in my book that's still the greatest team of all time.
I know we're doing the "what if" thing but, when you think about it, this Patriots run had the potential to add

2006*
2008 (admittedly a significant speculations, but winning 11 games with Cassel seems to indicate that team was still viable for the SB with Brady)

titles, if not for injury, and the 2017 title, if not for Belichick benching Butler.

Granted, nobody could reasonably expect full health every year, but this team arguably left 6 SB titles on the table. The Brady/BB run could reasonably have produced 12 SB titles, had the luck gone just right.

That's an insanely good run, and (to bring this back to the original point of the thread) even that only produced one challenge to the '72 team's perfect record.

*added after SB1 reminded me of it. Hat tip to him.

Last edited:
I know we're doing the "what if" thing but, when you think about it, this Patriots run had the potential to add

2008 (admittedly a significant speculations, but winning 11 games with Cassel seems to indicate that team was still viable for the SB with Brady)

titles, if not for injury, and the 2017 title, if not for Belichick benching Butler.

Granted, nobody could reasonably expect full health every year, but this team arguably left 5 SB titles on the table.
I agree. 2006 too if they beat the Colts. I think the Pats would have easily handled the Rex Grossman Bears. Really is amazing when you think about it.

That Chiefs defense is going to be really bad. Due to that, I think their ceiling is 14-3 next year.
I agree, they Need to run the Football at some point as well

I agree. 2006 too if they beat the Colts. I think the Pats would have easily handled the Rex Grossman Bears. Really is amazing when you think about it.
I forgot 2006, son of a *****! That's possibly the biggest layup of them all. Refs calling face guarding fouls when face guarding wasn't illegal. Players coming down with illness. And the team still having a chance to win that game. I'll add that to the earlier post.

Thanks.

this team arguably left 5 SB titles on the table.
4 of the 6 wins could easily go the other way too, so I’m cool with the total if not the specifics. Although they woulda had 2006 if they completed that 3rd down so nevermind now I’m kinda pissed

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back