PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Luke Kuechly Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no idea he even had concussion problems. Shows how much I care about the rest of the league. Good for him man. Retire early and enjoy life

Good player. Can't forgive him for the Gronk play so I cant say I'm sad to see him go.

It's his fault Clete Blakeman kept the flag in his pocket?

You're forgetting - Blakeman picked up the flag that was thrown. Way different from keeping it in his pocket. One of the worst pick-ups ever. It really made me wonder if the fix was in on that game.

Down here is SC he's like the main sports endorser for the local/regional businesses. There will be several commercials featuring him during football game broadcasts. That's even with Charlestonians not being Panther fans (although I guess the media buys cover multiple states.)

He's walking away from probably $40MM or more in contract money alone, presuming a line backer might play into his early thirties.
Sure, but he also walks away without further damaging his brain, and not destroying his future earnings potential. Maybe he'll be the next Tony Romo, who knows? If not there's the usual ways to make money: write a book, give some lectures, sign some memorabilia, etc.

Carolina is going to stink.
Yep, they are going through a total rebuild, which is why I thought they may move on from him regardless.

Pat Willis and now Kuechly. Historically great linebackers stepping away before they end up like Junior. Smart, and both are Hall of Famers

Kuechly was a really special player, I remember at BC when he would know where the play was going before the offense did. Didn't know if he had the physical tools to make it happen in the NFL but he sure did. Few linebackers in history were as good as Kuechly was at the top of his game. Brian Urlacher was a first ballot guy and he wasn't nearly as good as Kuechly.

I forgot about Willis but you are right. He retired in his prime. Seeing that clip posted above of him sitting there crying was hard to watch.

High draft picks will get that rookie money with the 5th year option plus a 2nd contract and GTFO of the NFL, that’s a trend we have to get used to it.

High draft picks will get that rookie money with the 5th year option plus a 2nd contract and GTFO of the NFL, that’s a trend we have to get used to it.

I doubt it. The guys smart enough to call it quits are still the exception rather than the rule.

There was a game a few years ago where he had a concussion and was carted off. When getting carted off, he was crying. I can’t guarantee this. But I believe I remember hearing that the crying was actually a natural reaction from the trauma he was experiencing from being concussed.
For the trauma to be so deep it makes a grown man cry he should have quit immediately with no regrets. No profession is worth that kind of sacrifice.

When I saw the MNF game in Charlotte (the one where Gronk was mauled in the end zone at the end and the picked up the flag). One of the big things that stood out was that Luke Keuchly is a freaking beast: super-talented non-stop high effort. I don't think I've ever seen someone with an engine like that in person.

Yeah I am sure this is a situation the NFL is monitoring closely and not that they would ever admit cannot be happy about. Having more and more "face of the league" guys hanging it up in their prime is not going to help with soccer moms signing up little Johnny for football over soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes