PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lamar/Mahomes the next Brady/Manning rivalry

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Seeing this comparison a lot. I couldn't disagree more.

The reason why Brady/Fivehead was a rivalry for the ages is that it was polarizing. Brady had the wins (including some big ones over Fivehead's team in the playoffs) and rings. Fivehead had the stats and MVPs. So who was better? That was the debate. This debate went right to the core of what "greatness" means in sports - does wins trump stats? Manning had unbelievable stats but couldn't win the big ones very often and when he did he was not really a key part of those wins. Brady is the winningest QB in history - until this year he had Bill Belichick as coach, and no doubt that was a benefit. And so on. There wasn't really a true consensus in that debate no matter what happened on the field.

Not seeing any of that with Mahomes/Jackson. They've never met in the playoffs. They both have an MVP. Mahomes has a ring and Jackson is 0-fer in the playoffs. Last night was probably the biggest game in this series and LJ's team got torched. LJ has never beaten the Chiefs as a starter. Nobody in their right mind would say LJ is a better QB than Mahomes. Is it even a rivalry at all? Doesn't look like it to me. Mahomes/Jackson to me is a lot closer to Brady/Ben than Brady/Manning

Last edited:
Seeing this comparison a lot. I couldn't disagree more.

The reason why Brady/Fivehead was a rivalry for the ages is that it was polarizing. Brady had the wins (including some big ones over Fivehead's team in the playoffs) and rings. Fivehead had the stats and MVPs. So who was better? That was the debate. This debate went right to the core of what "greatness" means in sports - does wins trump stats? Manning had unbelievable stats but couldn't win the big ones very often and when he did he was not really a key part of those wins. Brady is the winningest QB in history - until this year he had Bill Belichick as coach, and no doubt that was a benefit. And so on. There wasn't really a true consensus in that debate no matter what happened on the field.

Not seeing any of that with Mahomes/Jackson. They've never met in the playoffs. Last night was probably the biggest game in this series and LJ's team got torched. LJ has never beaten the Chiefs as a starter. Nobody in their right mind would say LJ is a better QB than Mahomes. Is it even a rivalry at all? Doesn't look like it to me.
Jackson needs to improve quite a bit for that "rivalry" to pick up steam. Yes, he is the reigning MVP, but let's keep it real. In a League where a proven star / winner like Wilson has never received a vote...

You hear those predictions all the time. It was supposed to be Kaep/Wilson, Mariota/Luck and whatever else NFL PR tried to push onto us.

Lets give it some time and see how things play out for Lamar in the next years.

The NFL desperately wants another Brady/Manning but they're not going to get it. It reminds me of how the NBA has been chasing another Magic/Bird ever since they retired.

i think im jumping on the lamar is not a big game qb wagon. This is now probably the three biggest games of his nfl career where hes played average or horrible and lost all 3 after looking way better in the games before. All at home too. Very similar to manning and his look amazing when nothing is at stake then turtle in the clutch.

remember, even the 2 sb that Manning won, he did not post good #s in the postseason and was carried by defense. Only the 06 afcc can really be considered a great performance in those runs.

This isn't even comparable, Brady did it with mediocre talent against offensive Juggernaut Colts teams. Mahommes easily has the best offensive weapons in the league, and it's not even close.

This happens all the time so I wouldn't lose sleep over it. The best one ever IMO was Kerry Kittles saying he and Ray Allen were the next Bird and Magic. Everybody born 1990 or later is already Googling who the hell is Kerry Kittles.

I understand why this is important to the mediots...they need a story to get clicks and fill air time.

But, the comparison at this point is kind of ridiculous. Brady and Manning played against each other virtually every regular season and fought it out in memorable playoff games. They had eight rings and eight League MVP's between them by the time they were done. There were compelling story lines: Middle America vs. NY and Runway Models; stats vs. championships; a long football pedigree vs. a sixth round pick with a chip on his shoulder.

Let's wait a while before we even mention the two comparisons in the same breath.

I am probably in the minority, but I see Lamar Jackson as a bit of a one trick pony (can run well, but not pass well) that defenses can be schemed up against. Mahomes is the real deal and is scary once he gets going. Not much of a comparison IMO.

This happens all the time so I wouldn't lose sleep over it. The best one ever IMO was Kerry Kittles saying he and Ray Allen were the next Bird and Magic. Everybody born 1990 or later is already Googling who the hell is Kerry Kittles.
Truth, even for those born in 1964!

Mahomes looks real great

Lamar not yet

We should wait a bit...

Last edited:
Mahomes/Wilson makes more sense as the next great rivalry.

Jackson peaked too far too fast and his play style is going to get him injured.

Mahomes/Wilson makes more sense as the next great rivalry.

Jackson peaked too far too fast and his play style is going to get him injured.
Maybe, but playing in different conference, they won’t play each year. manning Brady played every year, mahomes Jackson could too if they both keep winning their divisions. Media wants that game every year to play up the rivalry.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back