PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julio Jones loses 100k earring in lake..

....and hires a dive team to recover it.

Divers search lake for Julio Jones' lost $100,000 diamond earring

"Bobby Griffin, the self-described “Scubaman” of Lake Lanier in Gainesville, Georgia, was hoping he and local salvage diver Richard Pickering would be able to successfully recover Jones’ earring. Unfortunately, Pickering now believes it’s a lost cause, considering the piece of jewelry is likely down about 65 feet in the man-made lake."​

Guess Scubaman had no luck and Julio should be thankful its was just his earring and not his SB rin......I mean yeah. He doesn't have to worry about that.

:D
Normally, I don't revel in others' misfortunes (excepting Goodell and the Jete). But I find myself happy this happened.

Last edited:
Think of the boat he could have bought with that money.

Someday when he's broke he's gonna wish he had that 100K that he pissed away on the bottom of a lake.

No...but I do think it's reasonable to assert that his actions have invited considerable mockery.

No argument here. It's a pretty silly situation. I just think it's even sillier when everyone comes here to say "well, actually, I don't care one bit about this" when in reality, no one could give a **** about Julio or his damn earring. It's not a novel thought.

Pretty sure this is why they have insurance, but yeah, if I'm a millionaire I'd probably pay someone to go and look for it, too.
Yeah, insurance won't cover "lost" jewellery. The fish would have to steal it in this story....which is why he took a shot to try and recover it.

Just seems like one of those strawman situations. We say we don't care but the need to assert such a thing proves otherwise.

Who is saying that? People care enough to think it's funny. The kid is an absolute moron with money. That's not anything new considering the background that he comes from. He certainly won't be the first athlete to go completely broke after raking in millions in salary and endorsement deals. Things like this are a reason why. But that you're offended by the commentary (again) is noted.

No argument here. It's a pretty silly situation. I just think it's even sillier when everyone comes here to say "well, actually, I don't care one bit about this" when in reality, no one could give a **** about Julio or his damn earring. It's not a novel thought.
This thread is probably another reason why it's great that Training Camp is finally underway...

But I actually do care when athletes and other members of the entertainment industry call unnecessary attention to their wealth, effectively flaunting it. Wearing a piece of Jewelry, supposedly valued at six figures, during recreational activities is probably not uncommon among the wealthy ("easy come, easy go") but there's no need to tell the world that you lost it; a quiet report to the insurance company would have been enough.

Yeah, insurance won't cover "lost" jewellery. The fish would have to steal it in this story....which is why he took a shot to try and recover it.
No. You're wrong. If you get a Jewelry Rider on your policy, list and document the jewelry (receipts and pictures) and, depending on the circumstances, file a report with local police that it has been lost but presumably not stolen, if your policy covers it and you pay a high enough Premium, insurance will cover the loss (probably with a hefty deductible). Depending on the amount, the Insurance Company might have their own investigators look into it.

If the Insurer is satisfied that it isn't fraudulent, they will pay, but they might raise your premium. If they conclude that it's likely but not provable Fraud, they will probably pay and pull the Rider (lots of small print in those policies :) ).

No. You're wrong. If you get a Jewelry Rider on your policy, list and document the jewelry (receipts and pictures) and, depending on the circumstances, file a report with local police that it has been lost but presumably not stolen, if your policy covers it and you pay a high enough Premium, insurance will cover the loss (probably with a hefty deductible). Depending on the amount, the Insurance Company might have their own investigators look into it.

If the Insurer is satisfied that it isn't fraudulent, they will pay, but they might raise your premium. If they conclude that it's likely but not provable Fraud, they will probably pay and pull the Rider (lots of small print in those policies :) ).
But he didn't because he's looking.

Agree. The wife's engagement ring is insured even to the point that if the center stone falls out and is lost it's covered. I'm sure the insurance company has plenty of hoops to jump through if you have a claim but having something that valuable uninsured is just dumb. The premiums aren't even really that expensive. We have $30k of coverage and its only about $25 a month.

Money down the drain so to speak.

Lake Lanier supplies Atlanta with water.

Money down the drain so to speak.

Lake Lanier supplies Atlanta with water.
So theoretically someone could wind up flushing a 100,000 dollar earring down their toilet.

On the upside some lucky fish found it and after giving it to his wife fish is getting laid tonight for sure.... so there's that.
And he'll never have to work a day in his life ever again. The exchange rate for sea currency is ridiculous!

On the upside some lucky fish found it and after giving it to his wife fish is getting laid tonight for sure.... so there's that.
Man can you imagine fishing up a nice bass or something, only to find it's got a 100k diamond pierced in its fin?

What's your next move!?

If the item is listed on the policy (as it should be), there really aren't any hoops.

Agree. The wife's engagement ring is insured even to the point that if the center stone falls out and is lost it's covered. I'm sure the insurance company has plenty of hoops to jump through if you have a claim but having something that valuable uninsured is just dumb. The premiums aren't even really that expensive. We have $30k of coverage and its only about $25 a month.

Are you serious? If my wife loses her engagement ring, we can't claim it under our homeowner's insurance?

Are you serious? If my wife loses her engagement ring, we can't claim it under our homeowner's insurance?
Consult the policy or your agent to be sure.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back