PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Joe Gibbs resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinger

Rookie
Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AP) - Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs resigned as coach and team president of the Washington Redskins on Tuesday, the Associated Press has learned. A person familiar with Gibbs' decision, speaking on condition of anonymity because the news had not been officially announced, said Gibbs would make his resignation known later Tuesday morning and would discuss it at 3 p.m. news conference. The official said the Redskins would begin a search for a new coach immediately. Among the certain candidates are two former head coaches on Gibbs' staff, Gregg Williams and Al Saunders.

WASHINGTON (AP) - Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs resigned as coach and team president of the Washington Redskins on Tuesday, the Associated Press has learned. A person familiar with Gibbs' decision, speaking on condition of anonymity because the news had not been officially announced, said Gibbs would make his resignation known later Tuesday morning and would discuss it at 3 p.m. news conference. The official said the Redskins would begin a search for a new coach immediately. Among the certain candidates are two former head coaches on Gibbs' staff, Gregg Williams and Al Saunders.

I must admit I'm a little shocked, I know it was rumored earlier in the year, but I figured with the Taylor tragedy and the playoff run that they would have inspired him to keep this team going. Gibbs is a great coach, but if he has done anything it has shown us that it takes more then great coaching to build a great franchise in this salary cap era. It makes you appreciate Bill all the greater.

I've always admired JG. He was an amazing coach back in the day - with some deep talented Redskin teams. Its too bad his second go-around had to be so mediocre.

Maybe Snyder finally realized that the untimely and tragic death of a teamate and a dash of pride did more to galvanize his talent into a team than the presence of a big name dinosaur of a HC did in 4 years and kept his wallet zipped when they talked. Or maybe Joe himself realized it and decided to bow out on the strength of a wild card appearance. Gibbs was a great HC in his day, but he was out of his league in this era.

Given money is no object in DC it will be interesting to see if Snyder maintains the status quo with one of Williams or Saunders, or tries to ratchet up the Bill Cowher sweepstakes Baltimore is rumored to be trying to jump start. I bet Tuna is having a little indigestion this AM - president of the Skins might have been more lucrative and intriguing than ultimately butting heads with BB in the AFCE.

I never like Joe Gibbs. When he was a commentator back when I first became a Pats fan (early-mid 90's), he would always rip the Pats even though they were a pretty decent team at the time. Plus, he'd always have on his huge SB rings and had a douchebag haircut. Glad to see him go back to NASCAR.

I bet Tuna is having a little indigestion this AM - president of the Skins might have been more lucrative and intriguing than ultimately butting heads with BB in the AFCE.
Tuna is where he wants to be given that he knows Snyder is the type of guy he'd end up strangling due to the owner having his fingerprints all over the organization. While Gibbs had input into player acquisition, Vinny Cerrato is still firmly in place as Snyder's right hand man and butt boy. Parcells would want to run the organization. That's something he can do in Miami, could have done in Atlanta, was never able to do completely in Dallas, and would never be able to do completely in DC.

I bet Tuna is having a little indigestion this AM - president of the Skins might have been more lucrative and intriguing than ultimately butting heads with BB in the AFCE.
Why? When has Parcells ever honored a contract when it didn't suit him? If the Skins job looks better, he'll bolt without looking back.

I do wonder if it was a jump or be pushed scenario. Honestly, as well as they did at the end of the year, did anyone see a big jump to the elite teams coming from them in the next few years?

I'd like to see Al Saunders get his go at the helm, but that Cowher thought was a good one. They seem to have most of the ingredients a good Cowher team has.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3186165

WASHINGTON -- Joe Gibbs resigned as coach and team president of the Washington Redskins on Tuesday, three days after his team's playoff loss concluded a season marked by the killing of safety Sean Taylor.

Joe Gibbs won three NFL titles during his first stint with the Redskins. The second time around he took Washington to the playoffs in two of his four seasons.

The Redskins said in a statement that Gibbs will remain part of the Redskins family and serve as a special adviser to owner Dan Snyder. Gibbs was to discuss his decision at a 3 p.m. news conference at Redskins Park.

The Redskins will begin a search for a new coach immediately. Among the certain candidates are two former head coaches on Gibbs' staff, Gregg Williams and Al Saunders.

Gibbs went 31-36, including 1-2 in the playoffs, after emerging from NFL retirement and his NASCAR career to sign a five-year, $27.5 million contract in 2004. He had always maintained that he intended to fulfill the contract, but the 67-year-old coach wavered from that stance Monday when asked if he would return for the final year of his deal.

Gibbs' resignation brings an apparent end to a Hall of Fame coaching career in which he twice raised the Redskins from mediocrity into a playoff team, although he failed in his goal of bringing the team back to the Super Bowl during his second stint in Washington. Gibbs won three NFL titles during his first tenure from 1981-92; the second time around he took the team to the postseason in two of his four seasons.

It also follows one of the best coaching performances of his career, his leadership helping the Redskins focus after Taylor's death on Nov. 27. Washington won its final four regular season games after Taylor's funeral, going from 5-7 to 9-7 to claim the final playoff berth in the NFC.

The emotional run ended Saturday, when the Redskins lost 35-14 at Seattle in the wild-card playoffs.

"It was the toughest [season] for me," Gibbs said Monday. "When you go through a season like that, for a while it's kind of hard to re-grasp reality."

Gibbs has also endured a personal crisis for a year. One of his grandsons, Taylor, was diagnosed with leukemia last January at the age of 2. Gibbs frequently talks lovingly about his "grandbabies," and he made an overnight trip to North Carolina on Sunday to be with his family, interrupting the postseason routine of meetings that usually follow the final game of the season.

Still, for much of the season, Gibbs seemed intent on returning to coach. Players and coaches said publicly and privately over the last week that they would be shocked if he didn't stay on to finish the job. Last month, he said he would be open to discussing a contract extension so that he would not return next season as a lame-duck coach.

At a news conference Monday, Gibbs spoke about plans for next season -- the team's approach to free agency, offseason workouts and the possibility of an open quarterback competition at training camp -- as if he were going to remain on the sidelines. However, he hedged when asked if he would definitely be back, saying it would hinge on his meeting Monday night with Snyder.

"Everybody's situation will be taken into context here -- including mine, and my future here and all that," Gibbs said Monday.

Didn't see this coming, but I'm sure some will blame it on BB running up the score.

May we all remember the difference between "resign" and "re-sign" in March.

Gibbs was at his best over the last six weeks or so. However, if we're honest about it, he wasn't at his best for most of his second tenure. This is, unfortunately, the right decision.

Parcels has the perfect job in Miami. It's not in the same conference as his last team (to avoid any inconvenient comparisons) ..... a needy desperate owner who's handed him the keys to the empire ... and the fact that the franchise can ONLY improve .....

R

I like Coach Joe as a man. His goofy giggle is kind of endearing. And he was a great coach back in the day.

After listening to his presser today (ALL DAY news coverage of this here in D.C.), he was not remotely pushed out. And it's the right decision, no question. He never really caught up to today's game and it showed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes