PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets listening for trade offers for Bell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
former Squealer..strike one....former Jete?...strike two, three, three outs, game over, season over, career over

Bell has such an unusual running style that he really needs a perfect team to be successful. Not sure why anyone would be interested for anything more than $5M a year.
I don't think his style would work here. Belichick wants the RB to attack the hole as per the plan, not putz around in the backfield hoping something develops.

It’s really something. Everyone thought Bell and Brown were revolutionizing player mobility with their cry on command methods last spring.

Look at them now.

Don't think there is a problem with the methodology but with the actors. If it's guys like Richard Sherman or Julio Jones I think they back it up.

Thread title should probably be "Jets calling every team in the league begging them to take Bell"

The only people that find this more hilarious than we do are the Steelers Offensive Linemen.

Phillip Rivers on Gordon holding out ...

"It certainly is a deep position for us, and those guys all love to play and work hard. We love Melvin, but we're going to go with what we've got. It's a pretty dang good group."

It's not a position you should worry abt considering how little RBs have to do with their teams success. And the fact that you can plug/play almost anyone in there & get positive results.

Chargers are just one of numerous examples. Patriots have won with how many cast offs & players nobody else wanted.

Look at RBs after they get paid. Almost never works out. Just not a good position to pour money into considering how replaceable they are.

The position is being undervalued almost entirely because of a few QBs (Brady/Manning/Brees/Rodgers/Roethlisberger, and obviously it's mostly Brady) and the post-2004 passing rules changes. It's the same as every offensive position other than QB and LT.

Hell, 3 of the 4 SBs won just before Brady were won largely because of the elite RBs (Faulk, Davis) on the winning teams.

A ton of money for a guy who rushed for a guy who rushed for 789 yards (3.2 yds/att) and who caught 66 balls for just about 7 yards per catch..

Cap mismanagement the hallmark of the NYJ....

The position is being undervalued almost entirely because of a few QBs (Brady/Manning/Brees/Rodgers/Roethlisberger, and obviously it's mostly Brady) and the post-2004 passing rules changes. It's the same as every offensive position other than QB and LT.

Hell, 3 of the 4 SBs won just before Brady were won largely because of the elite RBs (Faulk, Davis) on the winning teams.
Rules didn't help RB's but teams got smart even before then. The Rams are a perfect example. Pass first team. They weren't winning bc or their ground game.
Look at any metric you want. They all come to the same point. RB's are easily replaceable, even the rec backs.
Add to that the eye test or w/e you want to call. Pats are good example of plugging in everyone from Smith, Blount, Dillon & on & on. Chargers weren't missing a beat without Gordon. San Francisco is another team. Examples are plentiful.
If someone wants more evidence look at the draft. 20-30 years ago RB's made up a big chunk of the picks. The past few years the position hasn't been called on nearly as much.

And now his play has diminished and he’s in the cusp of getting traded.

Got his money. Great. Didn’t better his career.
That is really all that matters.

Rules didn't help RB's but teams got smart even before then. The Rams are a perfect example. Pass first team. They weren't winning bc or their ground game.
Look at any metric you want. They all come to the same point. RB's are easily replaceable, even the rec backs.
Add to that the eye test or w/e you want to call. Pats are good example of plugging in everyone from Smith, Blount, Dillon & on & on. Chargers weren't missing a beat without Gordon. San Francisco is another team. Examples are plentiful.
If someone wants more evidence look at the draft. 20-30 years ago RB's made up a big chunk of the picks. The past few years the position hasn't been called on nearly as much.

I don't need to see metrics more than I already have. Metrics use today is generally garbage, because they get used to make arguments without sufficient context. The Rams were winning because Marshall Faulk was a brilliant RB, not because they were a pass first team. He was the engine that made that team run. He was the focus. He was what teams had to stop. And the Patriots made that plain in the Super Bowl.

The Patriots don't win because RBs are fungible. The Patriots win because Tom Brady is the greatest quarterback in the history of the game, playing with one of the greatest head coaches in the history of the game, at a point in the game's history where the QB has been elevated to a level of importance never before seen.

I don't need to see metrics more than I already have. Metrics use today is generally garbage, because they get used to make arguments without sufficient context. The Rams were winning because Marshall Faulk was a brilliant RB, not because they were a pass first team. He was the engine that made that team run. He was the focus. He was what teams had to stop. And the Patriots made that plain in the Super Bowl.

The Patriots don't win because RBs are fungible. The Patriots win because Tom Brady is the greatest quarterback in the history of the game, playing with one of the greatest head coaches in the history of the game, at a point in the game's history where the QB has been elevated to a level of importance never before seen.
You sound like you want to argue based on your first line. A quick look will simply tell you RBs are replaceable. It's not opinion. And it has nothing to do with QB's lol.

And I never mentioned anything abt how the Pats win. Of course its not bc of RB's or the fact that you can replace them rather easily. Just that we've won with a lot of different names speaks to the point that they're not that important.

Another year of 8-8. How many years in a row do the Cowboys have to finish at 8-8 until they regulated to the Browns, Bengals, Jet category?
Over the last 5 years the the Browns, Bengals, & Jete together have 2 seasons of 8 or more wins, out of 15 seasons together. So the Browns, Bengals, & Jete dream of the Cowboys level of suckage.

I just would never pay a RB big money (or take one in the first round). I draft a stud RB? I let him play out his rookie deal and then franchise tag him at the end of the contract. After that let him walk. The Cowboys did it with Demarco Murray and the Steelers did it with Bell (even if they were going to offer him a deal). I just don't know how you can justify paying big money to a position that starts to fade by 28 and is pretty much done by 30 especially when you can find guys in the mid rounds who can give you 85% of what the first round RBs would in theory.

I just would never pay a RB big money (or take one in the first round). I draft a stud RB? I let him play out his rookie deal and then franchise tag him at the end of the contract. After that let him walk. The Cowboys did it with Demarco Murray and the Steelers did it with Bell (even if they were going to offer him a deal). I just don't know how you can justify paying big money to a position that starts to fade by 28 and is pretty much done by 30 especially when you can find guys in the mid rounds who can give you 85% of what the first round RBs would in theory.
I though this was common knowledge nowadays. Most get caught up in the names I suspect when it's just about production. RB's matter they're just easily replaceable.
It's the easiest position to get a running start at compared to WR/TE for example. Those guys are learning a ton about r/r, releases, blocking etc..
Also RBs generally come into the league behind a better OL than they had in college. Pass blocking is the biggest adjustment for them.
Much more to choose from compared to other positions. No shortage of them.

Plenty of studies to back up the fact that they're replaceable. We've seen throughout the years from almost every team in the league. And if that's not enough look at the draft. Teams aren't spending high picks on RB's and for good reason.

RB is an important position for sure. But I can think of a lot of other positions I’d rather pay a premium and have a top 10 player at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back