PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jaguars fire GM Tom Coughlin

Nonsense. There were two weeks left in the season, and reports are that he was looking to walk away at the end of the year. The Jaguars could just have let the season play out and given Coughlin a gentle nudge afterwards, if needed.

Instead, Khan chose to be a douche.
Or maybe Khan was making a statement to the audience that matters, the players.

Apparently that was Dante Fowler.
Yea his name was in the tweet. I posted a tweet of his basically confirming it too a few days ago.

Everyone is acting like Coughlin is an idiot. The guy won two Super Bowls doing things the way he does them. It wasn't like he had a collection of superstars that beat us twice, he won with a relatively average QB with a solid supporting cast and a good aggressive defense. I think he got the absolute most out of those guys and as a coach thats about as good as it gets. His stint as a GM in Jacksonville may have ended up a failure but his career overall is HOF worthy.

yup and even after they won the Super Bowl they never made it back to the playoffs because the roster just wasn’t good. Always seemed to get everything he could from his players. Once he left they became a disaster

It's not like running a business, it's like running a daycare. Most of these guys suffer from heavy arrested development because they've been coddled their whole lives. Think that has less to do with the wider generational stuff, which is massively overplayed in general (I went to elementary school with Antonio Brown before he moved to Miami, we really couldn't be any more different), and more to do with the fact that the entire high school to college to NFL pipeline is so heavily monetized as a trillion dollar industry. We're at the point where Signing Day is an all-day televised event (the guys who are really into recruiting are always super creepy, like making comments on the size of a 16 year old's thighs).

These players are at the center of it, and they know it. Even their social media is turned into WWE style narrative by ESPN and the other Narrative Builders. 5-star 17 year olds watch ESPN and learn from it how to act, and the colleges throw tens of millions on building them spas and marble locker rooms to attract them and then give them tutors to do their homework for them. It's all kinds of ****ed up, but it isn't something inherent to Kids of a Certain Age, it's a systemic issue with high-level athletes in the world of the internet and social media (a worse world, fwiw).

The thing about a guy like Belichick versus Coughlin is that the former is willing to bend with the times, so long as his guys play football, who cares. Guys like Coughlin try to stand athwart history and start trying to impose discipline on guys who never experienced it before.

And his coaching style is old as ****.
I'm a nut & want to know, learn as much as I can but couldn't do it w HS ball. Not as corrupt as college/pros but close. How much stock can you put into a kid that just had a huge growth spurt dunking on a kid who is only playing bc his father is coach or just like sports & wants to impress some chicks.

I'll look at names, who dominates or might have started late & go from there. Like you said most of these guys mentally are stuck between 16-22 & have to have their shoes tied & ass wiped.

Can't put a # on it but I have to believe the pros are much, much harder to control as opposed to college kids. Like Saban said once they get paid 99% are playing & you have to make it work.

It's not like running a business, it's like running a daycare. Most of these guys suffer from heavy arrested development because they've been coddled their whole lives. Think that has less to do with the wider generational stuff, which is massively overplayed in general (I went to elementary school with Antonio Brown before he moved to Miami, we really couldn't be any more different), and more to do with the fact that the entire high school to college to NFL pipeline is so heavily monetized as a trillion dollar industry. We're at the point where Signing Day is an all-day televised event (the guys who are really into recruiting are always super creepy, like making comments on the size of a 16 year old's thighs).

These players are at the center of it, and they know it. Even their social media is turned into WWE style narrative by ESPN and the other Narrative Builders. 5-star 17 year olds watch ESPN and learn from it how to act, and the colleges throw tens of millions on building them spas and marble locker rooms to attract them and then give them tutors to do their homework for them. It's all kinds of ****ed up, but it isn't something inherent to Kids of a Certain Age, it's a systemic issue with high-level athletes in the world of the internet and social media (a worse world, fwiw).

The thing about a guy like Belichick versus Coughlin is that the former is willing to bend with the times, so long as his guys play football, who cares. Guys like Coughlin try to stand athwart history and start trying to impose discipline on guys who never experienced it before.

We are actually saying the same thing here. It’s exactly like running a business... because it is a business. You have to adjust for egos but in the end, you’re still managing personnel and different personalities. And just like in any business, you’re going to have some that are better at it (BB) and some that aren’t (Coughlin). But the fundamentals are the exact same. BB, for example, was a hell of a lot different with the 2007 team than he was with the 2016 team. Part of that is because he knows he’s coaching a different generation ala your second to last paragraph.

Why did Coughlin pay Bortles instead of riding out the option? There was very little reason to extend him.

He probably thought Bortles would be even more expensive in a year lmao

Or maybe Khan was making a statement to the audience that matters, the players.

Really? What statement do you think he was making to the players, given that he'd kept Coughlin until now? Is he shocked- shocked- to find that discipline was going on in there?

There was a story on yahoo yesterday mentioning that Fournette was fined $99K for sitting on the bench during a game that he was inactive..

You went to school with AB? Must have been weird to see how much this board melted down about him.

Fresh off his click friendly "Patriots are cheaters" articles, Jason is now endorsing our guys again. This guy doesn't leave his house. He hasn't 'heard' anything.

Lmfaooo. I read this too fast and read it as Jason was endorsing our gays again.

Fournette had a pretty good year with a terrible coach and old man coughlin. Never seen a team run into a 9 man box more than the jags under marrone.

If McDaniels goes there and Minshew isn’t a flash in the pan, they could have an exciting offence.

Everyone is acting like Coughlin is an idiot. The guy won two Super Bowls doing things the way he does them. It wasn't like he had a collection of superstars that beat us twice, he won with a relatively average QB with a solid supporting cast and a good aggressive defense. I think he got the absolute most out of those guys and as a coach thats about as good as it gets. His stint as a GM in Jacksonville may have ended up a failure but his career overall is HOF worthy.

Nobody is saying he is stupid, but he's dealing with a different generation (one that has grown up with social media all their lives) and hasn't shown any inclination to evolve.

So the game is passing him by.

With Coughlin gone, I looked back at the top of the 2017 draft which featured Mahomes going at 10 and Watson going at 12.

The nine teams that drafted before Mahomes were:

1. CLE Myles Garrett
2. CHI Trubisky
3. SF Solomon Thomas
4. JAX Fournette
5. TEN Corey Davis
6. NYJ Jamal Adams
7. LAC Mike Williams
8. CAR Christian McCaffrey
9. CIN John Ross

With Coughlin gone, it means of those teams only SF and LAC has not fired either their GM or Coach or both since this draft. And LAC who knows what the offseason will bring.

There are consequences in passing up future MVPs, even if no one was saying that at the time.

You went to school with AB? Must have been weird to see how much this board melted down about him.

He left with his mom to move to Miami when I was in 5th or 6th grade. His dad, who was the greatest player in Arena League history, was a substitute gym teacher and helped coach the football team at my high school during the offseason. I've heard rumors about what happened there and why Antonio and his mom left but won't repeat them (they are not flattering to Eddie Brown).

I don't think AB had the happiest childhood but there was a lot of stuff in the media during the whole kerfluffle implying he grew up in gangland, which I can attest was very far from true.

I don't think the Giants players were very receptive to Coughlin's style and Michael Strahan convinced him to meet with a player's committee to go over their grievances. After that they went on to have success.

Yeah but he had like one good season from 2009-2014 lol. Coughlin was good, but I dunno how good he really was in terms of people talking Hall of Fame. He had a lot of mediocre seasons in there.

Yeah but he had like one good season from 2009-2014 lol. Coughlin was good, but I dunno how good he really was in terms of people talking Hall of Fame. He had a lot of mediocre seasons in there.
He had a good run with the expansion Jaguars too. I think he had them in the playoffs 3-4 years in a row and obviously that AFFCG. I'm not saying he's the best coach in the world, and it certainly could be argued the game passed him by, but he's one of 13 coaches in NFL history to win multiple Super Bowls and he turned some bad teams into playoff teams relatively quickly.

He had a good run with the expansion Jaguars too. I think he had them in the playoffs 3-4 years in a row and obviously that AFFCG. I'm not saying he's the best coach in the world, and it certainly could be argued the game passed him by, but he's one of 13 coaches in NFL history to win multiple Super Bowls and he turned some bad teams into playoff teams relatively quickly.
Yeah that’s true. Perhaps his poor ending shouldn’t tarnish his early years.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back