PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jaguars fire GM Tom Coughlin

Jags had to fire Coughlin or no free agent would ever sign with them again.

Jags had to fire Coughlin or no free agent would ever sign with them again.

Nonsense. There were two weeks left in the season, and reports are that he was looking to walk away at the end of the year. The Jaguars could just have let the season play out and given Coughlin a gentle nudge afterwards, if needed.

Instead, Khan chose to be a douche.

Belongs on the sideline. I’m sure he’ll get a lot of calls

Was this the last year of Coughlin’s contract?

Aren't you like a mega pro capitalist/libertarian type?

If so what would your rationale be for any employer to keep an employee around that they didn't want to keep employed due to past conduct?

Oh wait, I forgot your a tough talking guy who ignores everyone who hurts your emotional pee pee so you won't see this unless someone quotes me.

Aren't you like a mega pro capitalist/libertarian type?

If so what would your rationale be for any employer to keep an employee around that they didn't want to keep employed due to past conduct?

Oh wait, I forgot your a tough talking guy who ignores everyone who hurts your emotional pee pee so you won't see this unless someone quotes me.

He just loves to be the contrarian know-it-all.

I thought Khan did what needed to be done. The Jags players made a stink about this to the NFLPA, and it could seriously impact the team’s future ability to get desired free agents. Firing Coughlin was the right move, and I’m sure the first of many steps the Jags will need to take to restore confidence from athletes. In addition they have an open position and can begin looking at candidates immediately.

Meanwhile it’s actually a favor for Coughlin. He gets to be out in the market to look for his next job while all the other hot coaches and GMs are held up in the postseason. If Coughlin is really sensitive over “getting fired” versus being forced to resign, then the guy clearly isn’t as tough as he thinks his players should be.

Nonsense. There were two weeks left in the season, and reports are that he was looking to walk away at the end of the year. The Jaguars could just have let the season play out and given Coughlin a gentle nudge afterwards, if needed.

Based on the two recent arbitration rulings, and the NFLPA statements, the Jags were becoming toxic to free agents. Kahn was absolutely correct in letting him go. It made a strong statement saying that type of vindictive / punitive behavior is not part of Jag culture moving forward compared to a limp-wristed "were going in a different direction" type statement after the season ends.

Are you implying that coughlin can not coach?
No. I’m implying that at all. The man can certainly coach. He’s won Super Bowls. I’m saying that I don’t think his hard-assed style would mesh well with 18 year olds at the college level. I think if he still wants to coach, it’s NFL or bust.

Someone was arguing with me on this forum the other day telling me what a great owner Khan was and what a terrible owner Kraft is...

Guess he was wrong, Khan allowed all of these shenanigans to occur as an owner..

Coughlin is who we thought he was..

No. I’m implying that at all. The man can certainly coach. He’s won Super Bowls. I’m saying that I don’t think his hard-assed style would mesh well with 18 year olds at the college level. I think if he still wants to coach, it’s NFL or bust.

He's from a completely different era. So old school and rigid.

To me the amazing thing is BB is only 6 years younger, but relates to players in a very different way- in a much better way.

To me the amazing thing is BB is only 6 years younger, but relates to players in a very different way- in a much better way.
Can’t hurt that he has his sons with him.

Bill is a much better manager of his people and knows that the only difference between generations is what they’re looking for out of their work. Coughlin has more of the military style of people/personnel management than BB. As you can see by the results, it’s not ineffective. But it’s not going to reach a generation of Gen Z college kids. We’re only beginning to study them for employment purposes since they’re just starting to enter the workforce, but they seem to be looking to be connected, both with each other and the outside world, in their work. They like feedback, which Coughlin will certainly give, and rewards for success, which he certainly will not unless they go all the way. Running a football team is honestly a lot like running any business when you adjust for the fact that the egos are obviously going to be bigger on a football team. I just don’t see Coughlin being a good fit at the college level anymore. Even Saban has to do some of that rah-rah/pep rally crap for recruiting and retention purposes.

He likes players and loves teaching them.

Extended Bortles then drafted Fournette over Mahomes lmao

BC already hired the Ohio State defensive coordinator. After Spaziani and Addazio, very over guys who coach like it's the 70s, thank you very much.

Bill is a much better manager of his people and knows that the only difference between generations is what they’re looking for out of their work. Coughlin has more of the military style of people/personnel management than BB. As you can see by the results, it’s not ineffective. But it’s not going to reach a generation of Gen Z college kids. We’re only beginning to study them for employment purposes since they’re just starting to enter the workforce, but they seem to be looking to be connected, both with each other and the outside world, in their work. They like feedback, which Coughlin will certainly give, and rewards for success, which he certainly will not unless they go all the way. Running a football team is honestly a lot like running any business when you adjust for the fact that the egos are obviously going to be bigger on a football team. I just don’t see Coughlin being a good fit at the college level anymore. Even Saban has to do some of that rah-rah/pep rally crap for recruiting and retention purposes.

It's not like running a business, it's like running a daycare. Most of these guys suffer from heavy arrested development because they've been coddled their whole lives. Think that has less to do with the wider generational stuff, which is massively overplayed in general (I went to elementary school with Antonio Brown before he moved to Miami, we really couldn't be any more different), and more to do with the fact that the entire high school to college to NFL pipeline is so heavily monetized as a trillion dollar industry. We're at the point where Signing Day is an all-day televised event (the guys who are really into recruiting are always super creepy, like making comments on the size of a 16 year old's thighs).

These players are at the center of it, and they know it. Even their social media is turned into WWE style narrative by ESPN and the other Narrative Builders. 5-star 17 year olds watch ESPN and learn from it how to act, and the colleges throw tens of millions on building them spas and marble locker rooms to attract them and then give them tutors to do their homework for them. It's all kinds of ****ed up, but it isn't something inherent to Kids of a Certain Age, it's a systemic issue with high-level athletes in the world of the internet and social media (a worse world, fwiw).

The thing about a guy like Belichick versus Coughlin is that the former is willing to bend with the times, so long as his guys play football, who cares. Guys like Coughlin try to stand athwart history and start trying to impose discipline on guys who never experienced it before.

And his coaching style is old as ****.

Everyone is acting like Coughlin is an idiot. The guy won two Super Bowls doing things the way he does them. It wasn't like he had a collection of superstars that beat us twice, he won with a relatively average QB with a solid supporting cast and a good aggressive defense. I think he got the absolute most out of those guys and as a coach thats about as good as it gets. His stint as a GM in Jacksonville may have ended up a failure but his career overall is HOF worthy.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back