SOURCE:NESN

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

OT: Ivy League has cancelled all sports until at least January

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by QuantumMechanic, Jul 8, 2020.

1. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic Burn it all down! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18,122
    The Ivy League has cancelled all sports until at least January. It will be interesting to see if this is a harbinger or if they're going their own way alone.

I think all college sports should be cancelled. It's perhaps one thing for well-paid, unionized pros to play. It's another thing for college students who basically exist so their coaches and school can rake in huge bucks on their backs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14,322
    As an aside, the NCAA will soon be allowing college athletes to profit off their likeness. Probably not enough to justify the risk in a pandemic, but it won't be the current 100–0 split.

3. XLIX

XLIX Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +15,021
    I hope they play NFL in fall and NCAA in spring. About 8 months of football would do me well.

And if that happens, they will play some NFL games on Saturday and some NCAA games on Sunday. So it’ll be all football, all weekend until May. :D:D

• I'm Excited I'm Excited x 1
  4. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +22,369
    Why would they allow college football to be played in the spring, right around the time of the NFL draft?

5. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams Praying for SammyBlue Cat PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,582
    Does this mean they are going to reduce the tuition costs by a commensurate amount?

LOL, you know they won’t!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. XLIX

Ratings:
    +15,021
    I am not sure who the “they” is in your question, but believe you me that the NCAA will do anything they can to salvage the football season. If they can’t play it in fall but things improve so that they can play in spring, then that’s what they will do. The NCAA won’t give 2 craps about the timing of the NFL draft. It’ll either get pushed back or the NCAA will make an exception allowing drafted players to keep playing.

7. TommyBrady12

Ratings:
    +22,369
    The NCAA will "give 2 craps" if the NFL doesn't want to interrupt their season, which begins in March 2021. Everything in the NFL designed so that teams will be ready by September, including the combine, draft, mini camp, training camp, and pre season. And why will the NCAA care? Because players eligible for the NFL draft will care more about their NFL futures, not their college teams. So theoretically, the NCAA could have a 4-5 month season starting in March and ending in either July or August, but their games will be without a lot of star players who are focusing on the draft and will likely opt out. Does the NCAA want to go that route? I doubt it.

• Sad Sad x 1
  8. FCB02062

FCB02062 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +6,331
    Not to mention a free education a D1/2 football player gets in exchange for playing football for 4 months... Sounds like a good deal ... Play football for 16 months out of 4 years and get a 200K education? Sounds like lots of oppression to me...

• Funny Funny x 3
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  9. XLIX

Ratings:
    +15,021
    You have *got* to be kidding. The NCAA makes billions on football. You are living in fantasyland if you think the loss of a minimal amount of top players would cause them to cancel the whole deal.

People root for laundry. For any player who skipped playing to focus on his pro career, there’s ten who would take his place and the NCAA wouldn’t skip a beat with the fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TommyBrady12

Ratings:
    +22,369
    NFL not interested in delaying 2021 draft if college football season pushed back to spring, per report

Apparently college football officials already reached out to the NFL about moving the draft, who told them to take a flying leap. So college football does care about what the NFL wants. A spring league may happen but it's probably not going to have any draft eligible players. That's at least 250 athletes. If you want to watch a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds play, I can't think of anything more boring except maybe HS football.

11. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33,974
    Sitting in their Ivy League towers, these flaming liberal professors have now cancelled SPORTS because of the fake, nothing burger Kung Flu.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!! My father would roll over in his grave if he saw us cowering away like this. Society has become a bunch of sissies.

• Maybe Not... Maybe Not... x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Joey007

Joey007 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +19,174
    Ivy League schools can much more easily afford to do this. Remember that. Football is an afterthought at these schools.

University schools from conferences like the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, etc. will see this much differently. Their schools will take a huge financial hit if no college football is played.

I think these schools will do all that is legally possible to still play. When have University colleges not chased the almighty dollar when it comes to sports at all costs?

• Like Like x 1
  13. XLIX

Ratings:
    +15,021
    That is ridiculous. Your sure-fire, top draft picks will consider skipping the season, but you’re crazy if you think *250* players will all skip it. Too many of them are going to need the extra season of college ball to be NFL ready.

Do you really think some guy projected to go 20th in the 5th round is going to say “yeah, I’m good with that... no need to improve my draft status....”

14. TommyBrady12

Ratings:
    +22,369
    You act as if this some sort of win-win situation...maybe for you it is since you get to watch football in the fall (NFL) and again in the spring(college)...yay! Ok, maybe 250 player won't skip it but half of those eligible probably will. And who's to say that if a player gets injured playing spring ball that he'll be ready to go again in fall 2021? Football (both pro and college) are year round endeavors for the players and any spring league will make recovering for the fall challenging. But all is good, since you get to watch 8 months of football. Spring ball presents a lot of challenges...

What the Ivy League's fall sports decision means for the rest of college football in 2020

15. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss 28-3.... PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,577
    Ivy league were the first ones to get it right in basketball....let's see if they set the bar again

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DropKickFlutie

DropKickFlutie In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,867
    Makes sense. 1 kid gets sick the whole team is quarantined. Same with staff. It shows how hard it will be for any of the pro leagues to actually pull this off. There is no vaccine or medicine available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. XLIX

Ratings:
    +15,021
    I am not really going to debate the hardships some will face. You’ve apparently come around to agree that if autumn football is cancelled but the opportunity exists to play in spring, then that NCAA will play in spring.

And another thing, I’d bet if that happens then the NFL will move the draft back a couple weeks if necessary, I don’t care what that report says.

18. Jangles

Jangles PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,838
    They’ll have to raise tuition to offset the lost revenue

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  19. 1960Pats

1960Pats PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,538
    What @Jangles said.

20. BaconGrundleCandy

BaconGrundleCandy PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,262
    ACC/BIG10 and I'm sure others are playing conference-only schedules. Most important games/rivals up front before **** hits the fan.

If I'm a big shot prospect I'm bouncing from college ball. Prepare for the combine or we is next and just stay healthy. Not worth it. Only 20-40 prospects could really do it without getting hammered but it'll be an option