SOURCE:NESN

SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

OT: If you don't remember Bledsoe and before...

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by PatsFanInVa, Nov 25, 2019.

1. maust1013

maust1013 Just Another Guy PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +16,182

I'm thinking more along the lines of...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,444
    Born '62 - and that VF article was pretty good.

I had a guy talking with me on the phone today say "I don't know how old you are, but it's what you used to say was an 'e ticket.'"

I had to say "Okay boomer." Then I told him I remember Disneyworld/land, and we were good.

Grass is always greener on the "other side."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. maust1013

maust1013 Just Another Guy PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +16,182

But not on the underside

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +79,390
    Yea 1962 was on the edge but imo if you were young, socially aware and lived in the 80s you qualify as Gen X

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Bobsyouruncle

Bobsyouruncle Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +8,210
    It’s mostly coming from Gen Z, early 20’s and younger, not millennials (who at this point are around 30 and having kids).

If the polls can be believed they have a largely different worldview than millennials.

Meh, I’m Gen X, and I’m sympathetic to a lot what they say. You could pretty easily say this is a different country than the one Boomers grew up in. Which is why when they talk to older people they feel like they’re talking to a foreigner.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club

Ratings:
    +5,603
    I know your post wasn’t intended to be deep, but I’m a “deep thoughts” kinda guy....

Your post reminded me of when I was a child, I’d try to imagine what it was like when my father was born in 1930. It was even scarier to imagine what it was like for my grandfather who was born in 1902.

And, BOOM!! Just like that, I’m now almost my grandfathers age at the time I used to wonder those things. My father is now 89 years old and I often think about how much he’s lived through and witnessed....like I said, I’m a deep thoughts kinda guy!:)

Happy Thanksgiving PFinVA!

7. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +10,444
    Happy TG, PR

Along the same lines:

I had a crush on a girl in college. Her mother loved me, and wanted her to marry me. Her mom was a total milf. We joked on occasion we got the generations crossed, her daughter wanted none of me. She had also gone to the same college, and I remember thinking, when must that have been? Late 50s? Early 60s? My God!

I got to doing some math. I was figuring on a 20 year gap between us, and those days seemed ancient (From "The Fonz" to a "modern 80s guy.") It's 35 years since 1984, the year I matriculated.

A student today would understand my references to 80s college land as I would understand references to the just post-war college experience.

So all that to say, holy f***. See I don't remember old people as having these memories that seem like last week, oh sure they said that, but that was just old people talk. I swear, the women then were just like the women now but with different hairstyles and for some reason shoulder pads.

I think Boomers have a specific kind of illusion. In our time, "The Olden Days" could be pinpointed by use of black and white film and photography. It took a long time for me to really understand there would be no more black and white, as if all film faded to black and white after it became suitably antiquated.

We had that olden-days divide... 50s were kind of modern, but their color was really blown out technicolor. See? So it was an approximation of the modern age, but not quite there. Then in our modern age, there was real color that looked pretty much like it was just capturing our reality (of course, part of that was our re-patterning how we saw reality to match the tech of our time.)

But black and white, that was anything from Lincoln to WWII, the whole photographic/film record prior to... US!

Now we look back and think, that picture of me with the giant Jewfro and a guitar, I could be in a dorm today, provided I was carrying a cell phone somewhere... I'm not old, look, that's in color!

But then there's this bald granpa smurf in the mirror sadly shaking his bald head, and I realize I will never again sit in a circle in Forman's basement if you know whamsain.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +10,444
    I find a lot of their identity fascinating, i.e., their layered concept of identity. Us old folks have this very strong (but arguably quite fictional sense) of the self compared with gen Z/plurals. Now that's something that, if you're aware, you know changes. You do buy what your crowd buys, I mean that metaphorically but probably literally too. You do believe in the product once you start working somewhere, or you opt out and pretend you believe in it. You do count other "groups" as reality, not a dumb joke, if they're part of your world (famously, if you live around different kinds of people, suddenly those kinds of people "become" better.) They just seem to admit that each person is a layered mess of identities piled on top of each other, rather than one steady through-line. Sure there's a weakness to it, but that's the obvious side of the coin... I am fascinated by the strength of being honest about that fragmented (and connection-dependent) concept of identity.

I do think it comes from someplace weak... constant connection that we are immigrants to and they are native to.

PS - hey! Remember the Star Trek series with 7 of 9, the Borg, and how dependent she felt on her former "people," the Borg collective?

F*CK the similarity b/w cell phones and communicators... THAT's impressive!

Nailed it!

• Like Like x 1
  9. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +10,444
    I think I really do have a cusp personality... example, cynical AF that we could change the world, still convinced we had to, it just wouldn't be as easy as dumbass early boomers thought.... and no, that didn't mean just get high on stimulants instead of depressants and develop strip malls. I was sharply satirical about government, business, etc., but thought you had to rip it savagely to make it better, not just ignore it and hope it didn't bother you. No skateboard or tattoos. Things like that. But yeah, aware that the sensibility (politically) was light years away from the boomer gen. We were all surviving (or thriving, take your pick) in the Reagan years, with the rope that held the pendulum broken and everything being put on a national credit card really for the first time, the defining move of governance from then on in the U.S. ... a few other things lol, I have typed enough for one night.

God bless the millennials and gen z, they'll have to fight the zombie outbreak, I'm counting on gen z rambo... they will have to save our sorry carcasses. And that's after we mortgaged their future and melted their ice caps. Treat em nice.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Bobsyouruncle

Bobsyouruncle Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +8,210
    “The past is a foreign country; they do things differently here.“

L.P. Hartley

• Like Like x 1
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club

Ratings:
    +5,603
    I do know...and it’s nice to know I’m not the only one that has these thoughts.

I’m still convinced that 20-something hotties find me incredibly attractive!!:cool:

• Funny Funny x 1