PatsFans.com - Mobile
PatsFans.com
Search

OT: Gruden in trouble (UPDATE: now resigning)

2021 Patriots Season:
Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: at Bills
Pick Results: NE: 82.5% at BUF: 17.5%

Mon
Dec 6th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:
Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

Hall of Fame Poster
You’d think these days people would want to scrub their social media for anything stupid you said that could be used against you even if it was years ago. Edit: it was email but it was a dumb thing to say.

I think there’s a chance he doesn’t finish the season there.

Last edited:

MAC10

Upper Crust
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
You’d think these days people would want to scrub their social media for anything stupid you said that could be used against you even if it was years ago.

I think there’s a chance he doesn’t finish the season there.

The comments weren't made on social media. They were in an email to then VP of the Redskins Bruce Allen. The league has been reviewing over 650K emails as part of its investigation into the WFT workplace misconduct and they discovered Gruden's comments.

VectorPrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
As someone who would be defined as a SJW I would adamantly say he does not at all deserve to lose his job. He definitely will have to answer to his players and to ownership who, quite justifiably, have spent years trying to clean up the Raiders image. I’m not able to say what “have to answer” means though.

What’s funny is in the emails he apparently went off on Goodell AND a number of high profile Owners which might be a more serious issue for him atm.

sb1

Hall of Fame Poster
The comments weren't made on social media. They were in an email to then VP of the Redskins Bruce Allen. The league has been reviewing over 650K emails as part of its investigation into the WFT workplace misconduct and they discovered Gruden's comments.
My bad you’re right. Still true though. Anything like that can break a locker room even if you apologize.

Hearing talk about a suspension. Not sure how they’re going to do that since he wasn’t Raiders coach when it happened.

MAC10

Upper Crust
My bad you’re right. Still true though. Anything like that can break a locker room even if you apologize.

Hearing talk about a suspension. Not sure how they’re going to do that since he wasn’t Raiders coach when it happened.

I think his standing with the Raider players is the more concerning issue for him, rather than a suspension or fine. The Raiders pretty much gave him $100 million guaranteed unless Gruden violates some provision in his contract. They are pretty much stuck with him.

Last edited:

jah

Owner Of A Tactical Coffee Shop For Men
PatsFans.com Supporter
Maybe I didn't spend enough time reading the article (I gave it about 10 seconds of my time), but I'm having a hard time caring about this for 2 reasons:
  1. It was 10 years ago. Lord knows I said some **** 10 years ago (to be fair, I was 16 and Gruden was 48).
  2. This definitely seems within the realm of plausible deniability as far as the possibility Gruden was/is oblivious about how that expression might come off.
That said, now that the issue has been brought to his attention, it would be wise not to choose this hill to die on.

VectorPrime

It’s really not that difficult to just fall on your sword, said you screwed up and said something racist in anger, and then ask how to make amends. Even from a cold calculating position it’s the best move. Not being an idiot trying to defend it.

borg

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Making fun of the "Gruden Face".......................................universally accepted
Making fun of an individual part of the face..................job imperiling

Where does mocking the Stevie B mullet and coke face fall on the Things That Trigger The Perpetually Triggered scale?

1633884588608.png

PP2

Pro Bowl Player
It’s really not that difficult to just fall on your sword, said you screwed up and said something racist in anger, and then ask how to make amends. Even from a cold calculating position it’s the best move. Not being an idiot trying to defend it.

Ironically, that's the best way to get over it. Making excuses is just going to make an even further mess of it. No way in hell that wasn't racist, just owe up to it and move on.

slash83

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
2021 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Bills in more trouble than Gruden at this point, nothings going to happen to him.

WaterfallJumper

EDIT: I made this post before we had the full story. In light of everything else (particularly with WFT), he had to go. I was talking only about the term someone had posted above, "rubber lips," which I'd never heard before.

I honestly have never heard that term before. I could see how it's said in a demeaning way, but it also just seems like a Grudenism for someone who's lying. I'm not defending him here, but it's an interesting term that would have flown right over my head. Guess I'll make sure never to use it now that I know. :oops:

But who hasn't had a few choice words for Goodell? That part bothers me much less, haha.

Last edited:

Boomer B

In the Starting Line-Up
Obviously dumb and he should know better, but it was a decade ago in a private email. Only he knows if it was racist or not.

I think it’s ridiculous people want him fired over this. The vast majority of people have said and done dumb things in their lives. You’re supposed to grow from your mistakes, not get fired for them a decade later.

Status
Not open for further replies.