PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: FOX ends relationship with WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, there isn't much to chose between the two stations. Every idiot on EEI has a counterpart on 98.5. 98.5 has the absolutely insufferable Felger and Maz, Adam Jones, etc. Gresh and Zo are decent during football season because at least they know something about the game, appear to have actually watched the team (unlike Felger) and don't have an agenda or an axe to grind like so many of the others do.
Yeah, your points are well-taken. The whole sports radio scene is just bad around here and those who note it's worse elsewhere are largely correct in my experience. A main problem, I believe, is that so much of it is contrived. It seems that often positions on subjects are prearranged. Felger and Mazz, as you note, are awful, Mike Holley used to be fair about the Pats but isn't any longer and Faurier, Merloni and Benz are all over the place. Gresh and Zo are good on football, but not much else.

He may have been out of line - but he is totally right.

Erin Andrews did not get her job because of her knowledge of the sports world or the insightful questions she asks in interviews. When you get past the eye candy aspect, what you have left is an atrocious mediot. She humiliated herself on a pretty regular basis during last year's World Series. I saw no improvement over the course of the football season.

Erin Andrews - Good Looks = Unemployed
Jenny Dell, Heidi Whatney and many others aren't any different. Many TV personalities are famous based on their looks. Erin's job is to be the pretty face of Fox sports, and she does it well. She doesn't deserve to be berated on the radio.

For what is worth Erin obviously worked hard to get to where she is there are a ton of girls that are just as hot or hotter than her, so it is not only because of her looks.

Jenny Dell, Heidi Whatney and many others aren't any different. Many TV personalities are famous based on their looks. Erin's job is to be the pretty face of Fox sports, and she does it well. She doesn't deserve to be berated on the radio.

For what is worth Erin obviously worked hard to get to where she is there are a ton of girls that are just as hot or hotter than her, so it is not only because of her looks.

Well the hotter ones are most likely models so......
It is her looks.

She doesn't deserve to be berated on the radio.

Neither does a hardworking football player who just isn't good enough but that happens all the time. But because a guy like Tavon doesn't have tits he doesn't have a legion of white knights rushing to his defense every time someone calls him garbage, etc.

I dislike having Andrews on my screen but I don't dislike her personally. It's 2014, I can type "two naked chicks pooping onto each other" into a search engine if I want to, I don't need an attractive woman who adds nothing on the screen when I'm trying to watch the game.

Jenny Dell, Heidi Whatney and many others aren't any different.
Except neither of them are the sideline reporter of the #1 broadcast team for Fox Sports. I don't see Jenny Dell or Heidi Watney during the World Series, NFCCG and Super Bowl (when Fox broadcasts it).
She doesn't deserve to be berated on the radio.
She is hardly the first media person to be berated on the radio. Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, Dan Deirdorf come to mind as having been quite soundly criticized on the radio - as well as in this forum. Should we treat her any differently because she is a woman, or should we hold her to the same standards?

I tell you this, though I know my opinion is in the extreme minority: I would rather we had more Jackie MacMullens and fewer Erin Andrews in sports media.

That guy should be fired and barred from ever speaking again in a public setting on sports for caring about the baseball All-Star game enough to go on a mind-numbingly stupid rant about it regardless of the rant's content.

How dare she not press the pitcher for doing something to increase entertainment value during a completely meaningless exhibition game that no one watches

I tell you this, though I know my opinion is in the extreme minority: I would rather we had more Jackie MacMullens and fewer Erin Andrews in sports media.

Well it's not minority over here.

Doris Burke, one of the best sideline IMO
Pam Oliver, the best NFL woman reporter
Jackie Mac is the best

The only in-studio women to whom I would ever bother to listen are, off the top of my head,
Linda Cohn & Hannah Storm. Almost every single one of the newer ones on ALL the networks
(NFLN, MLBN, NHLN, ESPN…) are complete, utter ignorant bimbos. As for the sideline reporters, Michele Tafoya, Andrea Kremer, Suze Kolber & Pam Oliver appear to understand what it is they're covering.
Erin Andrews & her kind are a disgrace to the broadcast profession.

Jackie Mac was good when she was the Celtics beat writer at the Glob;
her Pats "knowledge", however, is just regurgitated Bill-bashing.

You're right ... she is absolutely great at asking softball questions and then nodding her approval at a softball answer feigning that she is listening to some superlative introspection of that players mind. It takes a special talent to ask a stupid question and receive a stupid answer all the while making it look like some great scoop.

Well it's not minority over here.

Doris Burke, one of the best sideline IMO
Pam Oliver, the best NFL woman reporter
Jackie Mac is the best
I also like Lesley Visser and Suzy "I wanna kiss you!" Kolber. I will always remember that Jets-Pats game as the first game I ever watched in HD. :D

The problem was the word "*****". Having said that and somehow kept his job, he should have refrained from ANY vituperative criticism of her for a while. What's misogynistically bad about the word in this context is that it's gratuitous, and doesn't match the criticisms of her that he and other actually make.

He also was wrong to get so specific in the looks discussion. Had his only criticism been "She does a lousy job, and I don't think she'd be allowed to keep doing it except for her looks", it would have been OK. But had he just said that and included the 15 pounds comment, he already would have crossed the line, although in that case a simple apology should have fully sufficed.

Last edited:
There was no coming back once he veered off into the "Seriously, drop dead" remark. I have a huge sense of humor and I can't even jokingly wish death upon someone. He forced Fox into this decision by showing no remorse and a complete lack of professionalism.

What is funny though, if he didn't hate Erin before he really does now. Soon he won't be able to put food on the table because of her good looks lol.

Minihane sucks!

I swear for a guy that's the third wheel on a dying show, on a dying station, he sure tries to make everything about him. Wasn't he the one that got into it with Tanguay one time on Comcast, that made national news? He also challenged Fred Toucher on a sports debate one time, which was silly, and then he makes personal fueds with guys like Joe Haggartty public, and uses whatever forum he has to try and get the guy fired.

The dude is just terrible.

How dare she not press the pitcher for doing something to increase entertainment value during a completely meaningless exhibition game that no one watches

The league that wins the all-star game has home field advantage in the World Series. That is the very opposite of meaningless. Wainwright should have understood that above everyone else, as his Cardinals dealt with the Red Sox in the World Series just last year.

Wainwright is a whiny *******. Can't say I'm surprised he did what he did. He is so caught up in believing he is the classiest classman to ever class in classball. Cries about everything.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/09/adam-wainwright-should-probably-stop-his-whining/

You're right ... she is absolutely great at asking softball questions and then nodding her approval at a softball answer feigning that she is listening to some superlative introspection of that players mind. It takes a special talent to ask a stupid question and receive a stupid answer all the while making it look like some great scoop.

This goes for sideline reporters in general. Would you rather see/hear more Tony Siragusa? They get a lot worse than Erin Andrews.

Dennis' and Callahan's contracts are up shortly. I hope they all go, and weei brings in some people who want to focus on sports and not pretend to be informed about politics and social issues.

Minihane was completely out-of-line. Erin Andrews does her job as does he. Whether you agree with how her job is structured is one thing. Calling her epithets is uncalled for, and frankly, very weird. He sounded like the kid who couldn't get the good-looking girls to look at him, so he denigrated them to his buddies behind the dumpster in high school. Grow up.

weei runs a smart program during drive time in the afternoons now. Good guest co-hosts every day with Dale and Holley, and frequent top-flight national analysts. They should try the same thing in the morning.

Last edited:
Sounds like Minihane is the real "gutless *****."

I dislike having Andrews on my screen but I don't dislike her personally. It's 2014, I can type "two naked chicks pooping onto each other" into a search engine if I want to, I don't need an attractive woman who adds nothing on the screen when I'm trying to watch the game.
I couldn't agree more.

Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, Dan Deirdorf

Joe Buck aka Skeletor aka the Living Bobblehead and McCarver.......Reason #1 I won't watch playoff baseball.......even the Saux
Deirdorf.......I'll watch his games only because my hate for him is more entertaining than some of the games.
Heidi Watney.......For President.

Neither does a hardworking football player who just isn't good enough but that happens all the time. But because a guy like Tavon doesn't have tits he doesn't have a legion of white knights rushing to his defense every time someone calls him garbage, etc.

I do not think anyone calls Tavon a ***** and says they hope he dies.

I do not think any sideline reporters ask the hard questions, there is a difference between a presser and a player being willing to do a sideline or an immediate post-game interview, if the reporter was drilling the player I doubt they would even do the interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes