If this article is true, the big clubs got most of what they want via 'Champions League Reform':A few chief execs have already quit (Man Utd and Juventus) either immediately or at the end of the season. More to follow. But.........something tells me this is not the end of such a move. They have got their fingers burned but I think this is not the last attempt , they have just tested the water.
rightly so.John Henry taking a beating
worth noting those reforms were agreed 3 days before Super League. And the increase in money agreed post super league will spread across all participants. How the coefficient works will be interesting all the same.If this article is true, the big clubs got most of what they want via 'Champions League Reform':
as it should be.The relegation system in Europe is fascinating but is it financially debilitating for all but the established teams in each league.
Yet they continue to spend like a sailor on shore leave.And even then, some of the biggest teams in the world are crumbling financially.
One example.........Barcelona with over a billion in debt.
which is fine for 5% of tradtional football fans. **** the other 95% I think not.Teams will continue to seek opportunities to secure financial stability and that's what the ESL offered.
The Brits just want to run their leagues the way they see fit. they see american ownership and the implementation of franchises as an end to the game they love. Ultimately franchises can be moved. Pure marketing move. and football is more than that. I say this without a hint of embarrassment. Its a religion to these people.The Brits scoff at no relegation leagues like the NFL with its guaranteed revenues for each team because in their minds teams aren't incentivized to win and success is only measured on balance sheets.
Maybe, maybe not. Who is to say one platform that works well in one area will apply in another area. Northwest of england would find it very hard to maintain 3 "franchises". they can sustain many football clubs.And while I understand their skepticism, American pro sports has the financial stability European soccer sorely wishes it had.
The locals are entrenched but change is inevitable.
Socialism... Seriously. Have you not seen who is in Government in the UK? This is not an act of socialism, merely an act of not wringing every last penny out of customers. Its more a reaction to hyper capitalism and support for the traditional economics that have sustained football far longer than American football.Unfortunately for owners like John Henry who are accustomed to the quick moving adjustments found in capitalism, European socialism moves at a different pace with different priorities.
This is the man that traded Mookie Betts to the Dodgers.John Henry taking a beating
The timing is interesting. Clearly the SL did not come together overnight, JPMC and its billions takes a while to engage. Same can be said for CL reform, cooking it up took time. You would have to think some information was flowing between the people driving both efforts, no?worth noting those reforms were agreed 3 days before Super League. And the increase in money agreed post super league will spread across all participants. How the coefficient works will be interesting all the same.
and resolve all those issues, always for the good of the general interest of the football world
Maybe we can stop harping on this being an event driven by rich American owners now?
Why not? When the agitators in the EPL for example were all american owned clubs? That's not like fan fiction. That's like a reported you know erghh. FACT.Maybe we can stop harping on this being an event driven by rich American owners now?
All well known for their football (soccer) reportage... I kid. But that summation is wrong.I listened to two different podcasts on this now (Bill Simmons w/ Chris Ryan, Andrew Brandt w/ Taylor Twellman) and it was pointed out that the ones that tapped out first are the truly wealthy owners, and the ones that are keeping the embers burning are the ones that are really over extended.