SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Sun
Sep 22nd
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
White Wash
It was a whitewash in Miami as the Patriots defense rocked the Dolphins and New England improved to 2-0 on the season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

ot: easley converts to Islam

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by kennyb, Mar 20, 2015.

1. JarOfMayo51

JarOfMayo51 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,232
    ---
    Its not even possible to do a comparison... Tebowmania was in your face 24/7, 365... The constant media attention, his super bowl ads with his mom that were political and religious in nature...

It was just a lot... there are tons and tons of players that are very religious, that thank God for their talents and their blessings... and no one cares about any of that because its totally fine and in moderation..

Tebowmania was NOT in moderation... can anyone argue otherwise? He basically used the NFL as a platform to preach about Christianity, which he openly and publicly admitted.. That's just too much for your average football fan, who want to watch football and forget about the outside world.. Also, isn't it possible that people could be offended by seeing that all the time as someone who follows/practices a different religion?

I'm not a very religious person if you couldn't tell, so I have no horse in this race per say... I think the problem with Tebow was pretty obvious... He was a great young man that was very talented and was trying his hardest to make an NFL roster... but the attention that he gathered from the media, which in some ways were no fault of his own at all, was just too much for a casual NFL fan base... not everyone is a Christian.. so it becomes a bit too much when he was in the media circuit CONSTANTLY for things that had nothing to do with his talents and skill as a Football player, and everything to do with the religion that he chose to practice.

I think he's an amazing person and I really do admire him on so many levels.. but the NFL is the National FOOTBALL League, and people just want to zonk out, drink a beer or two and watch some football.. they don't want to have political and/or religious topics being crammed down their throats on a regular basis.. and he dominated a large percentage of the NFL coverage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. wizwor

wizwor Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +725
    ---
    if it was his business, we would not know about it. You don't know my religion, I don't know yours. If you know someone's religion, it's because they want you to know it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. wizwor

wizwor Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +725
    ---
    He was a Christian and there is no tolerance for Christians in the media.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +28,511
    ---
    Only if they spew incoherent, hypocritical ******** like Ray Lewis often did...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. dreighver

dreighver Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2,419
    ---
    Well, you have to look at the context of the religion(s) in question.

Islam, while a popular, widespread religion, is significantly less common in the United States than in the rest of the world. Furthermore, the public perception of Islam (in the United States) is less favorable than that of Christianity. Beyond all of that, Christianity has a deeper-rooted hold/place in American culture and is not only more widely accepted than Islam, but is more prevalent in our everyday lives.

With that said, Christianity is not threatened in any way whatsoever, and thus, nor are Christians. It's deeply entrenched in American culture and will continue to be for quite some time. Islam, on the other hand, is more vulnerable here in the United States, and therefore the average Muslim is more exposed and vulnerable than the average Christian. Another important point to consider, albeit a somewhat minor one, is that we have a significantly better understanding of Christianity than we do Islam. As a result, people who are anti-religion have more ammo to use against Christians than they do Muslims. It's difficult to laugh at and mock the occasional silliness/contradiction/hypocrisy found in almost all religions if you cannot identify specific instances of the aforementioned. We know Christianity like the back of our hand(s), and that's not the case with Islam. Thus, we go after what we know more completely.

With all that in mind, the idea that people would be more comfortable taking subtle jabs at Christianity/a Christian person than Islam/a Muslim person is perfectly understandable. Is this fair? I suppose so. It has to do with societal context. And at the risk of digressing, I will say that plenty of religious-bashers in this country are equal-opportunity bashers. You will find loads of people laughing, belittling and criticizing Islam and Christianity with equal malice. But I digress (see, I did digress. Hah).

Now whether or not people should be taking those jabs at Christians/Christianity, regardless of their societal stature, I suppose that's another discussion for another time. But I wanted to lay out why I believe you're witnessing the phenomenon you described. I could be totally wrong, and I'm sure a well-educated sociologist will tell me as much, but I did want to throw in my two cents.

For whatever it's worth, I too had an occasional chuckle (with some close friends) at the expense of Tebow's deep faith, but it never went beyond that. I never questioned the guy's character. He seems like a good person, a fantastic competitor, and a great teammate. I have nothing but respect for him.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,959
    ---
    Not sure why I would care about a football players religion..

The Tim Tebow diversion is all bullshyt, if he really wanted to play in the NFL he would be more versatile and maybe even play in the CFL to hone his craft.. but his single mindedness impedes his NFL opportunity.

7. Galeb

Galeb Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7,785
    ---
    Let's just hope he merely follows, but doesn't actively practice the edicts of Islam. This is a topic that folks should research thoroughly before forming an opinion about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. abdul7

abdul7 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602
    ---
    As a Muslim i feel proud of an American brother converting to Islam. Not that it matters for we are all children of one book , children of ONE Creater , The Almighty Allah. I have nothing but love for any God fearing fellow human being no matter which Religion.
    If he is at peace with this than lets just respect him , and hopefully get healthy and be the Monster sack machine we need badly this Season.
    Salam to all.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Batman

Batman Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +287
    ---
    My concern is simply how much Ramadan will slow him down during TC, I moved to UAE during Ramadan a few years ago and it was a real challenge to eat at the right times and then going to the gym it's very difficult if you're not use to it.

I hope he prepares for it and speaks to other converts not just people who have been Muslim all their lives. I only observed Ramadan for a week and really struggled he has to do 30 days.

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,407
    ---
    Yeah sorry about that... EDELMENSCH!!! (I know I know, half. I'll take half.)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +70,529
    ---
    Like Abdul-Vareen:D

12. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,407
    ---
    While we fight about it, God laughs (or cries.)

As so many others have said, whatever religion Easley chooses is up to him. We are all part of Patsfanistan.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ivan

Ivan Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +23,750
    ---
    In this episode Kenny sticks his head under a prayer rug and a taxi backs over it.........

GODDAMNIT........ THEY KILLED kENNY.........

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ivan

Ivan Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +23,750
    ---
    Well, there's one NFL player we won't be seeing on Dancing With The Stars.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,679
    ---
    We have no idea which players have the strongest religious faith. None. There's no evidence that Tebow, or any NFL player, has a stronger faith or belief system than any other player. What we see is their expression of their faith, not their actual faith. So that's about style, not about strength of faith.

Sports message boards and the media are not very good at sorting observations from interpretations from judgments.

Most of the criticism of Tebow that I witnessed was about style, not about faith. It wasn't about him being a Christian, it was how he went about being a citizen and an athlete. There was a tinge of "I'm better because I'm a Christian" which will always trigger people, of every belief system. I then witnessed Christians choosing to interpret that criticism as being about Christianity, rather than about style, and thus avoid the real issue altogether. It is a common dynamic, across all faiths and belief systems, religious and otherwise. Heck, just ask an iPhone lover about Android, or vice versa.

Some would say that faith is such a private matter that to express is loudly and with certainty is more likely to be evidence of a struggle with faith than with a comfort with it. As someone raised in the Christian tradition my absolute favorite book on the subject is this, because it is an amazingly honest story about wrestling with belief and doubt.
    upload_2015-3-21_8-2-33.jpeg

16. Ivan

Ivan Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +23,750
    ---

The Billoban........

17. Ivan

Ivan Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +23,750
    ---
    The most accurate commentary on Tebow came from The Onion. The Headline read.....

GROUND EMERGES AS TEBOW'S FAVORITE RECEIVER

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Ivan

Ivan Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +23,750
    ---

At least not your knowledge you didn't.

19. condon84

condon84 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +2,050
    ---
    No more pulled pork sandwiches for Easley. Seriously, that would be the toughest part of converting to Islam or Judaism for me. A lot of food I love would be off the menu. I need bacon in my sandwiches.

20. shmessy

shmessy . PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23,654
    ---

If you can Google it, you can link it.

You just didn't feel like doing so.