PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dolphins might be closing in on a deal for Deshaun Watson (edit: or not)

Not a big fan of Watson. Big star but always falls short when he needs to get it done. Now, with this bad PR / bad legal situation / bad decision making / bad behaviour…. I’m glad NE has Mac.
???

I don't know what the question marks mean... he has had chances to lead his team for a few years and he's achieved the great feat of "losing in the playoffs before even getting to the AFCCG". In fact, he had a massive lead vs KC and then disappeared.

Yes, and Watson is a Dolphin today because of it. You got that right too.

Your obsession to prove me wrong is adorable, but my point of the Dolphins not doing their due diligence only applied to the rumor that the trade deal was done and Watson would have been a Dolphin player today. I said there is no way to do your due diligence with 22 open civil cases, an open criminal investigation, and an unknown of what Goodell would do and come to the conclusion that it was worth multiple first round draft picks to trade for him now. And I was right. And Ross agreed with me.

But thanks for pointing out I was right. Feel free to find a post that I wrote that proves me wrong.
wrong-drumpf.gif
Again you have no idea what due diligence is. Just take the L and move on. You're making yourself look ridiculous.

So did Ross basically just tank his own team’s locker room and screw his coach and QB for the rest of the season for no real reason?

I think this was a lose-lose-lose for all sides.

It is a loss for Caserio because if he had three first round picks and other picks that were less than two second rounders, he should have taken the deal.

It is a loss for Ross and the Dolphins because they have let it be known that they want to move on from Tua and got a deal done based on contingents and didn't even get permission to talk to Watson until the night before the trade deadline even though the deal was reportedly agreed to in principle for a week or two (how's that for due diligence @venecol?). And he let the rumor fester leaving Tua and Flores out in the cold.

It is a loss for Watson because now he is guaranteed to not play this year and runs the chance to have Miami lose interest by the offseason.

View attachment 37186
Again you have no idea what due diligence is. Just take the L and move on. You're making yourself look ridiculous.

I understand what due diligence is. And based on the reports I was commenting on that the deal was basically in place and it was a virtual guarantee that there would be a trade before Watson settled his cases and the grand jury brought an indictment or not, there is no way they did due diligence because you cannot know what will happen. Again, I was making statements based on the information we knew at the time which was that the deal was pretty much a done deal.

And Ross didn't have permission to speak to Watson until Monday night. The night before the trade deadline. So in reality, how much due diligence did the Dolphins actually do? Ross was going to make sure he protects himself in case Watson's civil cases go south or he is indicted, but doesn't even get permission to talk to Watson until less than 24 hours before the trade deadline.

Last edited:
I think this was a lose-lose-lose for all sides.

It is a loss for Caserio because if he had three first round picks and other picks that were less than two second rounders, he should have taken the deal.

It is a loss for Ross and the Dolphins because they have let it be known that they want to move on from Tua and got a deal done based on contingents and didn't even get permission to talk to Watson until the night before the trade deadline even though the deal was reportedly agreed to in principle for a week or two (how's that for due diligence @venecol?). And he let the rumor fester leaving Tua and Flores out in the cold.

It is a loss for Watson because now he is guaranteed to not play this year and runs the chance to have Miami lose interest by the offseason.
Some guys can handle the pressure, use that as a chip on their shoulder and will want to prove their team wrong for doubting them.

I don't think Tua is that guy. I think he needs to be supported and this is the opposite of that.

Some guys can handle the pressure, use that as a chip on their shoulder and will want to prove their team wrong for doubting them.

I don't think Tua is that guy. I think he needs to be supported and this is the opposite of that.
Yea i'm not impressed with Tua.

Mac is already a much better QB.

I kinda feel for the guy though. The Dolphins have been making it clear that he isn't the guy and trying to move on from him for almost a year now.

But considering there was next to no shot that a Watson trade was ever go through before the trade deadline, there was no real upside for the Dolphins to even be negotiating it at that point. What good did it do? Nothing happened except a lot of backpedalling and spin control in the media and a complete organizational sign of no confidence in their QB. And come January, the Dolphins will likely have to start at square one with negotiations with possibly the Broncos, Packers (assuming Rodgers leaves), and other teams jumping into the mix.

I will go under the assumption that the Texans leaked that the deal for Watson before the trade deadline and Miami had nothing to do with that. But at that point knowing that there would be no deal until Watson settles his civil cases, they should have pulled out of negotiations and denied the rumors. Letting it fester like they did was just stupid unless they got a deal done which wasn't going to happen.

I'm no fan of Trollin' Volin, but this one is spot on:

Florio is still trying to milk the story line today, sigh.

Yes…Houston is underestimating their own opportunity cost in not being able to move on. They‘ve assessed the market for six months. Every team has talked about what they’d trade, if anything, for Watson. They could have just said “highest bidder - all sales final” and gotten a lower return or included some type of conditional.

Now, they apparently think that going into 2022 the market will heat up. I don’t see that happening. They’ll have a guy who just got paid all this money to sit on the bench, hasn’t played for a year, still hasn’t served an imminent suspension, and could potentially have even more problems. A year on the bench, maybe another half season suspended…will be 27 which isn’t old but isn’t 24 either.

If I’m a team, I’m sure thinking even more about whether I want to give up multiple picks for this guy. The draft suddenly has some appeal for QBs and other teams might be willing to consider trading Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, etc for multiple first round picks. Teams in October, with fans demanding success and coaches/GMs desperate, are a lot more likely to make a move like this than in March when the possibilities are endless.

If I were Houston, I would have considered trading Watson for virtually zero draft compensation, just as long as someone would take that mega contract he just signed. If they’re actually turning down multiple first round picks, Caserio/Easterby and those team of morons are even dumber than I thought, which was a high bar to clear.
Very good point. It seems HOU still has a high value on him, whereas most of us would think they should move on. I think it very well could be stubbornness/stupidity at play. The fact no one was offering much for a high talent should show HOU that he really is tainted goods. Even after all the allegations, they still don't seem to factor in the man said he'd never play for them again. They seem to be doubling down on a pair of deuces.

So did Ross basically just tank his own team’s locker room and screw his coach and QB for the rest of the season for no real reason?
At 1-6 the locker room was pretty much tanked already, no? Other players can see Tua is not franchise QB material, right? Ross tanked by not letting Fitzy play till Tua was more developed, IMO. Yet if that's your move, keep doing it. Go steal QBs off other team's practice roster if you have to, till you find one that can play.

Florio is still trying to milk the story line today, sigh.

Very good point. It seems HOU still has a high value on him, whereas most of us would think they should move on. I think it very well could be stubbornness/stupidity at play. The fact no one was offering much for a high talent should show HOU that he really is tainted goods. Even after all the allegations, they still don't seem to factor in the man said he'd never play for them again. They seem to be doubling down on a pair of deuces.

At 1-6 the locker room was pretty much tanked already, no? Other players can see Tua is not franchise QB material, right? Ross tanked by not letting Fitzy play till Tua was more developed, IMO. Yet if that's your move, keep doing it. Go steal QBs off other team's practice roster if you have to, till you find one that can play.

Yes, you lost the locker room from playing like crap especially when expectations were far greater for this team. But now they have basically given the players the go ahead to pack it in. They are already saying that they expect to have Watson next year and they have no intentions of developing Tua and trying to right the ship under him. They are saying this is a lost season and they are ready to start a new on offense next year. This might end Flores' head coaching tenure on top of Tua's QB tenure with the Dolphins.

Yes, you lost the locker room from playing like crap especially when expectations were far greater for this team. But now they have basically given the players the go ahead to pack it in. They are already saying that they expect to have Watson next year and they have no intentions of developing Tua and trying to right the ship under him. They are saying this is a lost season and they are ready to start a new on offense next year. This might end Flores' head coaching tenure on top of Tua's QB tenure with the Dolphins.
I think they lost the locker room when they were 1-3 or 1-4. I think the players know Tua is not the answer. I think they knew this was a lost season weeks ago. I think they can process that going for Watson made sense even though he was not going to be playing this season under any feasible circumstances, and that in the end the asking price for damaged goods was too high. I do think they do need to do something this year to not make it a totally lost season. Find a serviceable vet that can run the offense, or an underutilized young talent sitting on someone's practice squad. Ironically, something they already had with Fitzy...

I think odds are long that Flores keeps his job. If nothing else, he's in the perfect position to be the fall guy. I would hope BB tries to hire him since the Fins played us tough all the time under Flores and I'd hate to see him get hired by another team in our conference or division again. Yet I don't know if Flores would take the job after getting a run as HC. He might just want to cash checks from Ross and see if a decent offer comes out of the woodwork.

The Alabama players who played with both have said that Mac was the far better QB.
The only quotes i've seen were more about how it was harder to catch passes from Tua because he was a leftie. I would be surprised if anyone called Mac a better QB straight up. Most active players aren't willing to compare players they've played with.

The only quotes i've seen were more about how it was harder to catch passes from Tua because he was a leftie. I would be surprised if anyone called Mac a better QB straight up. Most active players aren't willing to compare players they've played with.

I don't know if this qualifies as better. But here is video of Jaylen Waddle stating vociferously that he likes playing with Jones better.

Last edited:
I don't know if this qualifies as better. But here is video of Jaylen Waddle stating viceroy that he likes playing with Jones better.

Didn’t see that, thanks for sharing. Gotta be a little awkward that he now plays with Tua :whistle:

Did this trade happen ? nvm i don't really care...like a lot of league crap. I care about the next Pats opponent and game planning. It's all good.

The Alabama players who played with both have said that Mac was the far better QB.

I don't know if this qualifies as better. But here is video of Jaylen Waddle stating vociferously that he likes playing with Jones better.

That's not what he said. Your lack of comprehension skills is laughable. You make sh!t up all the time. You lie. You hang out with rapists. Come on man. Grow the fv&k up.

That's not what he said. Your lack of comprehension skills is laughable. You make sh!t up all the time. You lie. You hang out with rapists. Come on man. Grow the fv&k up.
Posted 12 minutes earlier
In the last week I've had 62 posts and 6 on the Brady thread (just to help you out w/ math, that's <10%). As usual, you're wrong again. I've been wondering why nobody calls you out on your atrocious takes but I finally figured out ppl are just sitting back and laughing at you. I think I'll do the same. Carry on, you're on a roll RobO. LMAO

Twelve whole minutes of self control. You are such a child. Funny, you are telling me to grow up.

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back