SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

SOURCE:NESN

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Tough Calls Ahead
Bill Belichick has some tough personnel decisions to make this offseason.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

OT: Cavs trade away Thomas.

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics Fan Forum' started by KontradictioN, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Pro Bowl Player

Somewhere Paul Pierce is smiling....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Pro Bowl Player

Did they get LAvar's approval for this trade?? I don't think he is going to be happy.. Not that I care but I enjoy the drama from afar...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN (He's 40) PatsFans.com Supporter

Ainge definitely won the deal. It's not even close. In football terms, that deal was a 52-7 blowout victory.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. HailHydra

HailHydra Practice Squad Player

I'm a bit sad since Crowder had been playing well recently

5. Kdo5

Kdo5 Pro Bowl Player

Irving is the younger and better player than IT. Jae Crowder was very overrated and we had guessed that BKN is bad but there are a lot of teams vying for the bottom record. They could well pick outside the top 5.

It was a slam dunk I thought.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

He sure did

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Cavaliers trade Isaiah Thomas to Lakers for Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. BoTown

BoTown In the Starting Line-Up

People were so angry at Ainge for trading away IT for Kyrie. Same with trading down for Tatum. Not looking so bad now. Fair to say Ainge nailed it with both those deals.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Urgent

Urgent In the Starting Line-Up

Right.
    LA has already played in Boston this year. They probably wouldn't do an IT tribute video when Cleveland comes anymore, would they? That would just be spiteful...

10. jimnance

jimnance Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ainge Red Aeurbached em.

11. mosey threetupu

mosey threetupu Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Yes to all of the above. Not sure if he's too proud to back up Kyrie after everything that went down or if he burned bridges with Danny though.

12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Glad Ainge sat tight today at the trade deadline.
    Possibility he can get Joe Johnson in a buyout later.
    Definitely looking forward to seeing what Monroe adds starting tonight.
    Teams with a dominant big give us trouble ... now we can make a bigger unit when we need to.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. fnordcircle

fnordcircle User has put you on their 'ignore' list. PatsFans.com Supporter

Wasn't there a huge bunch of people ****ting on the IT trade?

Is it still controversial or do most people think it worked out for the Celtics?

14. KontradictioN

KontradictioN (He's 40) PatsFans.com Supporter

I wasn’t wild about it for you guys at first, but it’s worked out much better.

15. ForThoseAboutToRock

ForThoseAboutToRock PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

I hope someday IT's hip comes around well enough for him to play up to his previous standards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. fnordcircle

fnordcircle User has put you on their 'ignore' list. PatsFans.com Supporter

I don't think I qualify as enough of a fan to be a 'you guys'.

The last time I was stoked about the Celtics was the opening night win against the Bulls with Chauncey Billups and Ron Mercer under Pitino. I was stoked.

Then I haven't watched a full NBA game since. Mostly I remember the IT trade drawing some heated bitching and I'm trying to figure out if people are walking back the goal posts rather than admit they might have been wrong.

17. Bill Lee

Bill Lee What, me worry? PatsFans.com Supporter

This year's IT isn't anything like last year's IT, and he's been toxic in the locker room too. Pass.

18. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

The arguments were:
    1. Regardless of the players, they didn't get enough return in the Tatum trade
    2. They gave away too much in the Irving trade, because that Nets pick was a potential top pick

Neither of those has really changed, regardless of how the players have played since. That Nets pick looking lower and lower has, doubtless, eased the pain, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  19. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! Goodell sucks PatsFans.com Supporter

It's a weird balancing act, hoping that IT plays well but the Lakers lose every game anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! Goodell sucks PatsFans.com Supporter

I disagree on both. In both cases, I think it's becoming increasingly clear that the public overvalued what Ainge was holding and undervalued what he was trying to get. It was reported shortly before the trade that Ainge preferred Tatum to Fultz, largely because he had a much higher opinion of Tatum than the draftniks did. Most people thought it was just posturing and PR **** at the time, but given what we've seen from Tatum I think it's a reasonable opinion that Ainge very well could have had. And if so, that position has been vindicated. If he was going to take Tatum either way and the offer he took is the best offer he got, then I dunno how anyone could reasonably claim he didn't get enough. If you're choosing between getting Tatum at #1, Tatum at #3 with a premium pick this year or next, or some third offer that's worse than the second, then the second offer is the one you take every time.

Re: the Kyrie trade, I was worried before the trade that the Nets pick might end up being closer to 10 than 1, and I recall that being a pretty common opinion. Again, I think it's clear that Ainge had a higher opinion of Kyrie and a lower opinion of both IT and Crowder than the public did, and I think he's been vindicated on all three fronts there. I think the trade looks fine now, and will look even better two years from now when you compare where the Celts are to where they would have been if they had to choose between letting IT walk or having him in the second year of a max deal at 31 years old.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1