SOURCE:USA TODAY

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Lions
Thu
Aug 8th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Bad Decision
Boomer Esiason has normally been respectful of Brady, but made some poor decisions with his comments last week about the Patriots QB.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

OT: Casual Chat Thread

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by fnordcircle, Mar 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. aluminum seats

aluminum seats Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7,295
    Thought they screwed up some things like not properly setting up Dany’s turn, Jamie’s story, and Cersei’s death, but overall thought the finale was pretty good. Great show overall.

Agree on Breaking Bad being top of the heap, and love that Saul is continuing the story, great show too.

Recommendations: Terriers (only one season, but great), the Americans, Friday Night Lights, Lost (and yeah, I liked the ending of that too).

If comedy’s your thing, the Office, Parks & Rec, and Frasier.

—Oh and PS, the Simpsons until about season 9 is probably the greatest thing ever.

—PPS, Tony definitely died at the end.

2. maust1013

maust1013 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +10,254
    I'm thinking @fnordcircle got it right by binge watching it. It was very well acted and the attention to detail was impressive but I found the pacing to be an issue.

Chernobyl is killing it, the casting is outstanding. So far as an HBO limited series it's holding it's own with Band of Brothers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +46,897
    Band of Brothers was great but I’ve always liked The Pacific more. Partly because I’ve always been more interested in that theater of the war and partly because it went into pretty good depth to show what that theater did to those kids after the war was over.

But I agree with the casting. Both Stellan Skarsgård and Jared Harris have been nothing short of excellent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +46,897
    I’ve got to go back and give The Americans another shot. I stopped three episodes in but not because I was bored with it. It just wasn’t grabbing me. But I should have known better than to just give it three episodes.

5. maust1013

Ratings:
    +10,254
    I felt a personal connection to Band of Brothers, two of my uncles on my father's side were in the 101st in Normandy. In terms of theaters in WW II we share a greater interest in the Pacific although mine is more to the Navy's end than the ground forces. My mother's side has a long naval tradition and I came of age hearing their bigger picture discussions of tactics and (of surprisingly fascinating interest) logistics at family gatherings.

I think the overall casting in Chernobyl has been nothing short of inspired but particularly in addition to Stellan Skarsgård and Jared Harris, Emily Watson and Jessie Buckley have been brilliant.

• Like Like x 3
  6. maust1013

Ratings:
    +10,254
    The Americans is very layered, it builds as it goes. The real meat of it's substance isn't found in the world it inhabits but rather in the relationship dynamics of the characters in it.

7. Drewski

Drewski GVoR Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,185
    Both of those are in my regular Nightly Plex binge watching along with Ken Burns' Civil War and Vietnam War (History buff here).

Like Kontra, I am drawn more to the Pacific simply because the nature of that theater vs ET. Between my wife and I, we had grandparents in both. On my side, a great uncle landed at Omaha +4 and another great uncle was killed on Cape Gloucester. On her side, her paternal grandfather was in Patton's third Army and was in the lead element when they crossed the Rhine and her mother's uncle was a B-17 pilot in the 493rd BG / 863rd BS flying out of RAF Debach . He was shot down and KIA over Ludwigshafen Germany on his 17th mission, five months after D-Day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  8. aluminum seats

Ratings:
    +7,295
    Yeah, it’s a slow burn. First season isn’t bad, but it gets better as it goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. maust1013

Ratings:
    +10,254
    Agreed. I'd say from about the 5th or 6th episode of season 1 the setup of the first handful of episodes starts paying off. As a personal observation for me as a viewer, it also took me about that long before I began being comfortable with the odd duality of finding myself rooting both for and against the central characters. I can see where that unusual type of buy-in might have made the show hard to initially stay with for a lot of folks. It certainly paid off for people that stayed with it. I think in fleshing out it's characters it draws incredibly well from it's base premise, using it as an allegory for marriage, parenting and friendships. It's also a show that never fails to maintain it's continuity and connect the dots which definitely makes it a show that lends itself to binge watching.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fnordcircle

fnordcircle The poster who James White said inspires him. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25,246
    The Americans dragged too much for me. There's too many good shows out there now that it's hard to give a show a season and a half to find its legs.

Also this is literally the only place on the internet I've ever read anyone preferring The Pacific to the original BoB.

Kontrarian over here.

11. aluminum seats

Ratings:
    +7,295
    Well said. Definitely can make the argument it’s almost more “about” marriage, etc. Plus, of course, it’s a really cool spy story at the height of the Cold War. And I do think it might be even better as a binge.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. aluminum seats

Ratings:
    +7,295
    Just went back further in the thread and read this. Spot on. The Emmy thing with Saul is annoying...it’s like they decided since Breaking Bad is over they don’t want to pay attention to the story anymore. Best show on TV now, by a pretty wide margin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. maust1013

Ratings:
    +10,254
    That honestly surprises me. From my perspective I never felt it so much 'found it's legs' after the first half dozen or so episodes but started using the foundation it had laid. From the back half of season one it really took off. Did you really get halfway through Season 2 and walk or was 'season and a half' a general statement not specific to The Americans?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +46,897
    BoB had Ross from Friends. I can’t bring myself to prefer that over The Pacific. Though they do bonus points for Michael Cudlitz.

Speaking of him, I really wish two different networks didn’t just decide to flush Southland down the toilet. That was a damn good show IMO.

15. fnordcircle

fnordcircle The poster who James White said inspires him. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25,246
    I think I made it to the end or near the end of season 1 but it *felt* like a season and a half. I was the one who cajoled my ex into watching it with me so I even had some skin in the game making me want to try to like it to justify pushing for it.

I'm sure it's fine but other than the neighbor guy there wasn't a lot about S01 that excited me even slightly.

16. fnordcircle

Ratings:
    +25,246
    Schwimmer is awful but he was pretty perfectly cast as a Lt you really enjoy hating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. maust1013

Ratings:
    +10,254
    I couldn't agree more and def thought Schwimmer was very well cast in that role. It didn't hurt that he was kicked to the curb in fairly short order

• Like Like x 1
  18. maust1013

Ratings:
    +10,254
    As a parent I think you might be surprised how much you'd enjoy the progressive family dynamic. Stan's character also fleshes out really well as the story line continues

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. fnordcircle

Ratings:
    +25,246
    Ok I'll add it to the list after

The 100
    Finishing American Gods
    Finishing Archer
    Finishing Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    Finishing Barry
    Finishing Battlestar Galactica
    Finishing Bojack Horseman
    Finishing Better Call Saul
    Billions
    The Crown
    Finishing Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Dark Matter
    Doom Patrol
    The Expanse
    Finishing F is For Family
    Finishing Farscape
    Finishing Fear the Walking Dead
    Finishing The Walking Dead
    Finishing The Handmaid's Tale
    Finishing Future Man
    Finishing Happy!
    Finishing Homeland
    Finishing Legion

You get the picture. That's just like, A-L on my plex.

Crazy time to be an avid consumer of TV.

20. Drewski

Drewski GVoR Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,185
    You didn't mention me by name, but I also prefer The Pacific to Band of Brothers, but I do so for more nuanced reasons and nothing related to the acting or the cast (although Snafu is my favorite character in either)...and honestly there are two dialogues in the series that sorta "hit" at it.

While there is nothing civilized about war, period. There was a "normalcy/civilized nature" to the war in Europe. The Pacific Theater by contrast contained the worst impulses of humanity; hatred, bigotry, savage surrender less fighting, natural environments that stretched the human body's ability to survive. Layer on top of that, vets coming home from the Pacific Theater were less willing to share their memories and the theater itself was less known; nobody in 1940s America would be confused with where France and Germany were located. Many 1940 Americans had no idea where Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu, Iwo Jima or Okinawa were. And how all of those things impacted the soul of the guys who fought there stands out. In many ways, the Pacific Theater was a Korean War-esque....somewhat forgotten.

The first dialogue that stands out (watch til about 50 secs):

The second one I can't find a youtube clip for, but it is Sledge and his brother talking next to the tree after they both get home. Sledge is disheveled having just woken up and clearly less "eager to represent" his service, while Edward, who fought in Italy, is all the more happy to do so.

Those two scenes in a nutshell are simple examples detailing out my preferred interest. I have the upmost respect for that generation, who quite literally saved the world; regardless of what theater they were in.

But the story, IMHO, of the Pacific is more fascinating.

Not to mention, Sledge Hammer's book is awesome.