Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: at Bills
Pick Results: NE: 83.1% at BUF: 16.9%

Mon
Dec 6th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Scotty

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Seems a bit of a con. I dont think our age groups are quite the same but in the final year of primary school you could have a very strong team who won everything. They went to senior school leaving younger kids in the team for the following year who would more often or not loose their games until they became a year older (sorry if that does not make sense)
In semi competitive soccer if you were short of a player (boys) you could select and play the best boy player from a younger age group . Boys never played in girls teams. However, my son's soccer team had a girl goalkeeper who was so good she went on to play for her country at youth level.

mikey m

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Without thinking this through at all and knowing very little about the game of soccer, if a girls team absolutely needs a boy to be able to field a team then there should be some rules:
1. This can only be used for one player. If you're more than one player short, then you forfeit or play at a disadvatage.
AND
2a. All teams will be notified prior to the season and will also have the option of suiting up a boy that game.
OR
2b. The boy should be forced to play goalie, and the goalie be moved to another position. Sorry girl.

fightingirish595

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
I have a beef.

I will preface this as saying 2 of my 3 daughters play for Tahanto HS and lost to Carver 2-1 in OT on a BS PK on Thursday.

The facts:

The Carver Boys Varsity Soccer team could not field a team b/c they lost a ton of players to graduation last year.

The boy identifies as a male and likes girls.

MA Equal Rights Act of 1976 allows boys/girls to play on boys/girls teams under extenuating circumstances.

MIAA tried to overturn it and was denied.

The boy (6'3) barely played all year.

During the state tournament, he has played the entire game.

During a playoff game vs Whitinsville-Christian he concussed a girl.

He has a major leg and is a pretty good player. He took all the kicks and didn't lose a header. He scored the tying goal. My 5'2' 100lb freshman defender didn't back down from him. I'm proud of her. She's real good, too. Might be a DII prospect if she keeps growing and improving.

He knocked down a couple on our team....but was also flattened and cried for a foul.

Carver should win the D5 tourney because of him.

Just an incredible competitive advantage.

The tourney is a joke now.

Thoughts?
This is insane man

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
If my 6'2" son came to me in HS and said that he wanted to play on any girls team I'd have given him a strong no for an answer.

In this case the kid and his parents should be embarrassed but it's unlikely they are.

I don't know if there's a limit so what prevents a girls soccer team from having a roster full of boys?

RobertWeathers

Author of the Port Huron Statement
PatsFans.com Supporter
If my 6'2" son came to me in HS and said that he wanted to play on any girls team I'd have given him a strong no for an answer.

In this case the kid and his parents should be embarrassed but it's unlikely they are.

I don't know if there's a limit so what prevents a girls soccer team from having a roster full of boys?
My dad said the same thing when I shared with him the situation.

That's my issue with the ruling and the argument for the boy playing on a girls team. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

RobertWeathers

PatsFans.com Supporter
Without thinking this through at all and knowing very little about the game of soccer, if a girls team absolutely needs a boy to be able to field a team then there should be some rules:
1. This can only be used for one player. If you're more than one player short, then you forfeit or play at a disadvatage.
AND
2a. All teams will be notified prior to the season and will also have the option of suiting up a boy that game.
OR
2b. The boy should be forced to play goalie, and the goalie be moved to another position. Sorry girl.
I like the boy playing idea.

Even playing goalie offers a significant competitive advantage. Size, speed and kicking ability.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Shes a tough kid. She likes boys and said he was ugly and stank. LOL.

I have no right answer for the gender issue and playing sports. Good arguments on both sides.

But boys who have a pee-pee and like girls who want to play on girls/woman teams? Absolutely not.
I've been trying to put myself in your shoes if my grand daughter played against a 6'3" boy in HS and I know I wouldn't have liked it. I can also see how it could cause problems with the less stable adults.

It doesn't matter to me if a boy likes girls or not. He doesn't belong on a girls team because of the unfair advantage. That may not be a factor when kids are younger but it is in HS when the boys start to get stronger.

Kontradiction

Dr. P-ussy
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
2021 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
LOL at how difficult some of you are making this. A boy shouldn’t be playing on a girls team. Has he had/does he have a penis between his legs, a prostate, and an Adam’s Apple? If so, that disqualifies him. Pretty simple. No need to make rules and conditions. If there aren’t enough boys to field a boys team, sorry about your luck, bro. Transfer schools or find a rec league.

RobertWeathers

PatsFans.com Supporter
LOL at how difficult some of you are making this. A boy shouldn’t be playing on a girls team. Has he had/does he have a penis between his legs, a prostate, and an Adam’s Apple? If so, that disqualifies him. Pretty simple. No need to make rules and conditions. If there aren’t enough boys to field a boys team, sorry about your luck, bro. Transfer schools or find a rec league.
I wish this progressive, trophy for everyone, f-ed up state saw things as you do

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Also, what a messed up thing to do to this boy. Who learns anything from unfair competition? He's only going to be nagged with shame about it (or, in the very low possiblity that he's a sociopath, have his narcissism reinforced).

The number of adults who had to give a thumbs up to this, for it to get approved, is staggering.

On the other hand, @RobertWeathers, how's the concussed girl? Everyone else involved is probably doing fine, right? Four squares, roof over their heads, good winter clothing, top 1% of schools on the planet?

RobertWeathers

PatsFans.com Supporter
Also, what a messed up thing to do to this boy. Who learns anything from unfair competition? He's only going to be nagged with shame about it (or, in the very low possiblity that he's a sociopath, have his narcissism reinforced).

The number of adults who had to give a thumbs up to this, for it to get approved, is staggering.

On the other hand, @RobertWeathers, how's the concussed girl? Everyone else involved is probably doing fine, right? Four squares, roof over their heads, good winter clothing, top 1% of schools on the planet?
I hear the girl is OK.

The other BS I learned is Sutton High had 3 8th graders on their team all year (which is allowed if your MS & HS is in the same building. Ours is and my freshman is on her 3rd yr of varsity as she made it her 7th grade). One was their top scorer. The MIAA let them play all year but suddenly were told they are not eligible for the tournament. Complete BS.They are in the state finals regardless.

If Carver wins tonight they would play Sutton w/o their best player.

BTW on the MIAA board is the principal of Carver.

This is like 345 Park Ave I swear.

Steve:Section 102

A lion isn't concerned with the opinion of sheep
PatsFans.com Supporter
  • Is there no one in this kid's life to tell him this isn't a good idea? Many of you have made this point already.
  • Why would this boy want to do this? Like @Kontradiction said, sorry about your luck, but go play on a club. He's forever the pariah that played in a girls league.
  • I can tell you that's the last thing I would want for a player that I coach and for my son.
  • Where the hell is the coach and AD who say this is a bad idea?
  • In this era when soccer is booming, there is not enough kids to field a team on a HS with 537 kids? Something doesn't smell right there.
  • @betterthanthealternative is right. The amount of adults who signed off on this is mind blowing.

Koma

In the Starting Line-Up
I looked for some more information on this story earlier in the week and came across this article in the Patriot Ledger. On the surface, it's a feel good story about a team that started the season slowly, got their act together, went into the playoffs as a #15 seed and is now in the semi-finals of the tournament. The thing is, there's no mention of the boy on the team in the article. The account of the game picks up with the score tied 1-1, but there's no mention of who scored those goals, for either team.

I originally read this article on Sunday or Monday and the comments section was public at the time. Now, you need an account to view them. There were a couple people pointing out that there was a boy on the team and that was ignored in the article and a few people defending the Carver team. One of the posters defending the team took the angle of "What if your child was on the Carver team? Wouldn't you be upset that their team was being attacked? Wouldn't you defend them?" From a parental perspective, I can understand that sentiment. At the same time, I'm pretty sure this person's opinion would do a 180 if their daughter's 100% female team was defeated by a team with an all star caliber male player on it. They could at least try to understand why people are upset with this situation.

Ice_Ice_Brady

Antonio Brown’s New Live-In Chef
PatsFans.com Supporter
I looked for some more information on this story earlier in the week and came across this article in the Patriot Ledger. On the surface, it's a feel good story about a team that started the season slowly, got their act together, went into the playoffs as a #15 seed and is now in the semi-finals of the tournament. The thing is, there's no mention of the boy on the team in the article. The account of the game picks up with the score tied 1-1, but there's no mention of who scored those goals, for either team.
Lacking journalistic integrity.
One of the posters defending the team took the angle of "What if your child was on the Carver team? Wouldn't you be upset that their team was being attacked? Wouldn't you defend them?" From a parental perspective, I can understand that sentiment.
I can’t. I’d be super defensive about anyone saying anything negative about my own kid. But if my daughter were on the Carver team, I’d be embarrassed about this entire situation. It’s a mockery. None of the girls on that team will be respected, even if they win.

RobertWeathers

PatsFans.com Supporter

I originally read this article on Sunday or Monday and the comments section was public at the time. Now, you need an account to view them. There were a couple people pointing out that there was a boy on the team and that was ignored in the article and a few people defending the Carver team. One of the posters defending the team took the angle of "What if your child was on the Carver team? Wouldn't you be upset that their team was being attacked? Wouldn't you defend them?" From a parental perspective, I can understand that sentiment. At the same time, I'm pretty sure this person's opinion would do a 180 if their daughter's 100% female team was defeated by a team with an all star caliber male player on it. They could at least try to understand why people are upset with this situation.
yea Jason Snow. Sports intern. Prob banging the coach who is young.

RobertWeathers

PatsFans.com Supporter
Lacking journalistic integrity.

I can’t. I’d be super defensive about anyone saying anything negative about my own kid. But if my daughter were on the Carver team, I’d be embarrassed about this entire situation. It’s a mockery. None of the girls on that team will be respected, even if they win.
If they win the state championship it'll be a complete joke.

I asked my kids how they would have felt if a boy played and they said it would be "too weird". They said it would be cheating.

Rumor is Carver won't have enough kids to field a boys team again next year so this whole situation might play out again next fall.

Ice_Ice_Brady

Antonio Brown’s New Live-In Chef
PatsFans.com Supporter
If they win the state championship it'll be a complete joke.

I asked my kids how they would have felt if a boy played and they said it would be "too weird". They said it would be cheating.

Rumor is Carver won't have enough kids to field a boys team again next year so this whole situation might play out again next fall.

If I were coach of an opponent like your team, I wouldn’t show up to play and inform them co-ed teams should play each other. A few forfeits for the greater good and then the governing body would need to step in and rectify it.