PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bye to Uncle Rick

neuronet

Homer Little
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Since my dad passed 10 years ago, my Uncle Rick and I grew very close. He played QB in High School and college (at UNH). It was like having a living connection to my dad, because they were a lot alike, salty New Englanders that were an acquired taste to outsiders.

What bonded us more than anything was Patriots football. After every game I would call him and analyze the game. He would give his analysis of QB play, coverage schemes, etc.. I would mostly listen because he knew 10x more than I did. Sometimes I would bring up stuff I read on this forum, and that would periodically make it seem like I knew what I was talking about.

About two years ago, I met some of his friends at this bar he would go to. They were like "Wait, you are the guy? Every time the damn Pats game ends Rick leaves the freakin' room so he can go talk to his damned nephew, leaving us high and dry. So you're the one ruining the end of the games for us? Thanks a lot kid!" This was a good feeling. It wasn't really about football for us.

It is the off-season so we don't talk quite as much, but we always expect it to pick up with each season. Unfortunately, six weeks ago he broke his hip, and at that time we found out he had Stage IV pancreatic cancer that had already metastasized to his liver. This morning he passed away. ****ing cancer just tore through him. Luckily I was able to go up to Newburyport to visit him five weeks ago and he was cogent enough to ***** with me about the Tom Brady ********, the Red Sox, and a few other things.

Godspeed Uncle Rick. Thanks for all these years of leaving your friends to touch base during the season. It was always about more than football. I don't know what I'll do at the end of the first game next season. There will be a big empty space there.

In time, I'll try to come up with some kind of fitting tribute to him to make it a little less empty...for now, much love Uncle Rick.

Here is is, pictured with my daughter, he always made sure we called him by the proper Great Uncle Rick in reference to her...he never married or had kids, and he adored the heck out of her.
5209287312_8678ca18bf_b.jpg

Last edited:
I think you already have given him the start of a fitting tribute. I am so sorry for your loss.

Extremely sorry to hear of your loss, @neuronet. There is an "In Memoriam" section here on the forum located in a different area that Ian has been kind enough to offer to us in times of mourning. I imagine that this thread will get moved at some point, and I will check in there from time to time to see how you are doing. I wish you and your family comfort in your difficult time.

By the way, great tribute to your Uncle Rick. He sounds like he was a terrific guy.

Extremely sorry to hear of your loss, @neuronet. There is an "In Memoriam" section here on the forum located in a different area that Ian has been kind enough to offer to us in times of mourning. I imagine that this thread will get moved at some point, and I will check in there from time to time to see how you are doing. I wish you and your family comfort in your difficult time.

By the way, great tribute to your Uncle Rick. He sounds like he was a terrific guy.

Thanks for the heads up, I had forgotten about that subforum, and it seems apt for this thread...

Thanks for the heads up, I had forgotten about that subforum, and it seems apt for this thread...

I just wanted to remind others about it, while also letting you know that I'll be checking in to see how you're doing from time to time. Unfortunately, I have two threads over there myself for my brother and dad, so I pop in a few times a year and check it out. It was certainly helpful to hear the positive messages from others during those hard times.

Keep your head up and let any of us know if you need anything.

I'm sorry for your loss, and may your uncle rest in peace

I am sure many of us , the lucky ones .....had an "uncle Rick" Sorry for your loss

Great eulogy, if asked to do so you should consider reading this...

May the Angels of His Mercy bring solace to all his family and friends.

Sorry for your loss. Make sure you reach out to his friends at their bar and toast him proper.

My condolences to you and your family.

I'm sorry for your loss.

It's amazing how sports can be a medium for forging such powerful close connections. It is about more than just a ball and some lines and some guys hitting each other. It's a medium to connect and stay connected with friends and family. Sometimes it means more than just who the backup center is going to be and that 4th-round cornerback you think won't make the team. It's a chance to reach out to the people you love.

Cancer is terrible, and I'm sorry for what has happened. But sounds like you were also very lucky to have Uncle Rick in your life as well, even if he was taken too soon.

Sorry for your loss.

My deepest condolences to your you and your family for your loss. He sounds like he was an awesome guy. I totally understand the bond. I have an uncle that is more like an older brother than an uncle. We are very close, and I love spending time with him. We too have bonded over sports since I was a little kid. Him and my Dad are the reason I am a sports fanatic.

My uncle and I are hockey fanatics, though he is a Ranger's fan and I'm an Islander's fan, we love talking about hockey (boring our loved ones for hours lol).

But like you said, it's more than just sports, he's always been my favorite uncle, and I always look forward to seeing him. Sports is just something we enjoy together. I totally get your bond, and I'm happy for you that he got to spend time with your daughter. Once again my deepest condolences.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back