Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: at Jets
Pick Results: NE: 98.3% at NYJ: 1.7%

Sun
Sep 19th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Ochmed Jones

Pro Bowl Player
An nfl franchise means a lot of money for cities!

but having to foot a bill and a half to get the bills is going to shrink the list of candidates only a few.

I personally would love to see London or Berlin get the bills franchise.

Hyped

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I think that in a decade or so, we will not be seeing many new stadiums being built...with/without public money. Football stadiums are just too big and only can be filled for NFL/NCAA games and/or concerts...all of which never happen more than 40 days a year MAX in a single location ....if even that.

When they finally put football in a TV studio building with 1,000,000 camera angles and mikes....it's all over, IMO. Hell, I am enjoying the Olympics here without fans....I even enjoyed the NBA bubble...as well as the 2020 NFL season.

I think the NFL's strategy of emphasizing the game day experience will backfire down the road...it simply costs too much to go to a NFL game nowadays. Hell, Sunday Ticket MAX for an entire season is cheaper than a game day for two fans sitting in the nosebleeds when you factor in concession, parking, gas money, tailgate food, etc...etc...

Yes, the experience of being THERE is nice, but so is sitting on your recliner and having your dog retrieve some beer from the fridge.

upstater1

Pro Bowl Player
Perhaps what those owners really want is an out, and an opportunity to auction themselves off to the best sweetheart deal they can find in North America. It is only the 71st largest city in the US, and 49th largest metropolitan area. It would be fiscally irresponsible for the city of Buffalo or Erie County to give in to this type of ransom-like demand.
But you have to realize that it's not only Buffalo's team but also all of Western New York's. When you add Rochester and Niagara Falls, the population doubles. And of course, 20% of the season ticket holders come from Ontario, where 7 million more people live within 1 1/4 hours of Buffalo. The city is a small market but the region has a lot of people in it.

upstater1

Pro Bowl Player
I'm very surprised that no one has mentioned the fact (in this thread) that the NFL prohibits owners from owning teams in different pro sports in different cities.

This isn't about the Pegulas moving the Bills to another city, but about them selling the Bills.

They won't sell the Sabres because they like hockey and because they have sunk over a billion dollars in building out down by the hockey arena.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Just read where the Austin's City Council has not heard a thing about this possible move. Wouldn't that be the logical first step?? Or is the Pegula just assuming or blowing smoke up everyone's butt??

Last edited:

PScottman

In the Starting Line-Up
Or is the Pegula just assuming??
There's no law against rumors really, Sure, you could try and leverage libel law, but it would be massively expensive, have to prove where the town was "harmed" by the comments, and face public ridicule. They could've thrown out the name of any city to increase their own leverage against Buffalo.

There's no need for it to be true because it COULD be true - the other city is just needed to try and have the existing Bills fan base go to their city reps and say "but we don't want them to leave...you cant let them go to <insert city name here>." Not sure it will work regardless as has been noted previously given the current economic malaise and uncertainty, but there's no downside for the owners in setting up the "fight" between the two localities.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Personally, I think that the team would be better off in Toronto. They would keep a lot of the same fans, and they would meet the need of the NFL to expand to another country.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
There's no law against rumors really, Sure, you could try and leverage libel law, but it would be massively expensive, have to prove where the town was "harmed" by the comments, and face public ridicule. They could've thrown out the name of any city to increase their own leverage against Buffalo.

There's no need for it to be true because it COULD be true - the other city is just needed to try and have the existing Bills fan base go to their city reps and say "but we don't want them to leave...you cant let them go to <insert city name here>." Not sure it will work regardless as has been noted previously given the current economic malaise and uncertainty, but there's no downside for the owners in setting up the "fight" between the two localities.

There was no assumption about breaking any laws, except the law that NFL franchises do not need to create skepticism and doubt for their fan base if they expect loyalty from the fans.

It "could be true" that the Bills could relocate to Vancouver, Mexico City, blah, blah, blah. It would seem that if a team is considering relocating to another city there might have some communication with the city leaders. Particularly as the owners are seeking municipal funding for their stadium.

I think Pegula is leveraging some sort of response from Buffalo without even testing the waters of where they are rumored to be relocating.. either that or the move to Austin is just a rumor planted by them.

RobertWeathers

Chairman & CEO of Team Bill
PatsFans.com Supporter
Personally, I think that the team would be better off in Toronto. They would keep a lot of the same fans, and they would meet the need of the NFL to expand to another country.
I dunno. Ave CFL team draws 15k fans per game.

Can't see Bills Mafia tailgating in Toronto.

RobertWeathers

Chairman & CEO of Team Bill
PatsFans.com Supporter
I'm very surprised that no one has mentioned the fact (in this thread) that the NFL prohibits owners from owning teams in different pro sports in different cities.

This isn't about the Pegulas moving the Bills to another city, but about them selling the Bills.

They won't sell the Sabres because they like hockey and because they have sunk over a billion dollars in building out down by the hockey arena.
Because it's not black and white.

Stan Kroenke's wife "owns" the Avalanche. Granted she has her own money but clearly there are financial connections between the two.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Simply the opening salvo in a negotiation.
BFD
The keyboard hyperventilation is over the top
To a certain degree that's true, at least I hope it is. But that's not the point. While the overall economy is coming back, its not all the way back by any means and if we aren't careful about the delta variant it could start to fall back.

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster
Toronto

Prior to the great recession, there was a plan that was approved to build an NFL stadium in Toronto. I heard this basically first hand from a Canadian sports writer covering SB 42 in Phoenix. We were at the same bar and began talking. The NFL gets its foot in the door in the 4th largest populated city in North America. To give you an indication, Chicago is the 3rd most populated in the US and Houston is the 4th. Both support NFL teams no problem.

Austin, Texas has turned into a tent city shyt hole.

Why Toronto? Money. Economy of Toronto - Wikipedia Selling stadium corporate suites is where its at and not selling hotdogs and draft beer to the guy with a belly hanging down to his knees. You dont lose fans like that though. They can get up earlier and commute to Toronto on game day.

FreeTedWilliams

BB's tailor
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
This is a smart business move by the Pegulas. Under the old "strike while the iron is hot" adage. The Bills have a very loyal base in Buffalo, but the city is shrinking, and here is no big time money there. So the Pegulas put out what they know full well is a completely unacceptable position that Buffalo pay 100% for a new stadium. Giving them an excuse to sell the team to anyone, anywhere.

If you had a commodity that you wished to sell, would you want to restrict the buyers to only people who want to keep that commodity in Buffalo, or open up the bidding to everywhere, everywhere?

Of course, it would be tough to still own the Sabres, if you are the ones behind ushering the Bills out of town. But the BILLIONS the sale would bring, would make them sleep a little better.

Orlando would make a lot of sense, as their is oodles of money there, plenty of ex-buffalonians, of course, the Phins, Bucs and Jags, would all have to be satiated (money usually does that).

San Antonio would also be a great spot, to take advantage of thee Mexican market, without (technically) having to go into Mexico. Again, Jerrah would have to be satiated. I think Houston is too far away from San Antonio for them to make that big of a stink about it.

I think the fact that the Blue Jays just played their first game in Toronto in 2 years, would make anyone thinking of putting a NFL team there balk.