PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Anybody here ever play Strat-O-Matic football?

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I loved that game when I was a kid... bought every season from 1971 through 1980. Even when the Pats stunk, which was basically the first five years.

Loved the cards... the defensive strategy... the only thing I didn't like was the lack of penalties in the game. Kind of a big factor to completely omit. but, whatever.

Summers at our lake camp, my cousin and I replayed entire seasons and playoffs. Yeah, I know... geek-o-rama. LOL...

But maybe most others here are too young to have played Strat-O-Matic?

I did for a few years in the late 70s.
Don't remember much.
I forgot which teams I had beside the Pats and Raiders.
I don't think I had all teams and I bought a few teams from other years.
Only played individual games sometimes using teams from different years.

No just played these in the 60's and 70's.

Used to bend the rubber things on the bottom of the player to get direction.

TEMPLATE%20tudor%20electric%20football%20650%20dal%20la%20field%201%201972%20EX.JPG

We played Strat-o-matic baseball as kids I am a bit younger so this was the 90s. My brothers and friends were a little more into than I was. We got the football one year but I dont think we ever bothered to really learn it we found baseball to be more entertaining in that fashion. And we got our football fixes through Tecmo Bowl and later Madden.

I could never get that magnetic thing to work.

$_35.JPG

But we DID have a Talking Football game from Mattel. For your offensive play, you pick a disc (literally a small record), and the defensive guy rotates the little arrow on the disc to the PLAY he wants, then pushes the record into the mini-player, and a recording plays, telling you what happened. I can still hear the announcer:

"End around... the BLITZ is on! A seven yard loss!" LOL

Last edited:
I loved that game when I was a kid... bought every season from 1971 through 1980. Even when the Pats stunk, which was basically the first five years.

Loved the cards... the defensive strategy... the only thing I didn't like was the lack of penalties in the game. Kind of a big factor to completely omit. but, whatever.

Summers at our lake camp, my cousin and I replayed entire seasons and playoffs. Yeah, I know... geek-o-rama. LOL...

Oh man, I was addicted to that game as a kid. With the advanced version nothing comes closer to approximating what it's like to run a football team strategically.

I had cards going back to 1967. Get this: I played every game on the 1968 NFL schedule solitaire! My friends and I had leagues where we took several years of individual teams and combined their cards. I had Gayle Sayers playing flanker and halfback in the same lineup for the Bears.

I'd play it again. Do they still release season card sets?

TEMPLATE%20tudor%20electric%20football%20650%20dal%20la%20field%201%201972%20EX.JPG

I had Rams vs Steelers so must of been 1980. I did play stratomatic like once at a buddies house who bought it from a afootball/baseball card shop in the neighborhood. Luckily late 80's Tecmo Bowl came out :)

Patriots win over saints done via tecmo bowl w/Zolakhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bxFyV7gNS0

...No, but I've played a Stat-o-Caster guitar before....and still do. :drum:

abc.jpg

I always find it sad when someone is stuck in the 70's. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to spend the next 6 hours playing the above game pictured here. :D :D

abc.jpg

I always find it sad when someone is stuck in the 70's. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to spend the next 6 hours playing the above game pictured here. :D :D

Oh, lordy. I did have that Coleco game! Bought it at a yard sale, wasted countless hours on it. Any resemblance between the gameplay and football was totally coincidental! :D

We played Strat-o-matic baseball as kids I am a bit younger so this was the 90s. My brothers and friends were a little more into than I was. We got the football one year but I dont think we ever bothered to really learn it we found baseball to be more entertaining in that fashion. And we got our football fixes through Tecmo Bowl and later Madden.

Same, pretty much - I never did Strat-o-matic football, but my dad bought me a strat-o-matic baseball set when I was younger, and my friends and I would have drafts, build teams, play against each other, etc. etc.

Football gaming for me consisted almost entirely of Madden. Back in college some buddies and I would each take a team and run franchise mode for 20 years or so, simulating all of the games so that we were handling the ownership/FO stuff, free agency, draft, etc. We had a whole set of rules where you had to do shots if your team sucked or lost in a head to head simulations, so it ended up being one of the nerdiest ways imaginable to pregame a night out drinking.

I played the football version and I always had the Raiders as my team. Didn't like the football game as much as the baseball game. We replayed the entire 1968 season in one summer. I bought the software version a few years ago but I never could get the hang of it! I still have all those cards dating back to 1968 and 1970, as well as several old timer teams like the Gashouse Gang Cardinals or the 51 Yanks.

Not only did I play stratomatic, I was obsessed. I used to get football and hockey every year. I lived in Queens NY, and my mom would literally go to the factory and buy me the new cards every year. I remember seeing the ads in Street & Smiths Football or in the Hockey News. Used to love playing. I'm a big time Islander's fan in hockey, and man I wish I still had those cards from the late 70's and early 80's.

Great stuff, thanks for making an old guy (I'm 51) smile, great memories.

At first I was like this.

tecmo-bowl-start-scrn.jpg

Then I was like this.

John_madden_football.jpg

Man I used to love this game as well. Remember when the linemen would get their arms locked, and would spin around in circles lol. Played that for hours !! Same thing with tabletop hockey, pass to the center and slam that puck in.

abc.jpg

I had that, cool thing is, they have that as an app on the iPhone. So I can relive my youth :)

loved Strat-o-Matic (baseball, too), though I don't remember it well

I do recall that with the Chargers teams in the 80s -- Air Coryell -- you could put up insane #s.

They might still make it.

Oh yeah, loved it. Prob started playing in 75 or 76. Cards were from a few years prior to that. One buddy liked the Chiefs. Otis Taylor was Slug when he clocked one of the Raiders. Other friend was a Giants fan. Baby powder backfield. Johnson and Johnson. Hated playing against the Steelers. Couldn't run on them at all. Usually, a -4 if you ran outside.

I loved start-o-matic although like others I played the baseball game more often. This was late 60 s and early seventies. I had the 69 teams and some older teams. I remember Claude Osteen of the Dodgers threw a no hitter.
The football version I didn't think was as good....I remember it was too easy to pick up third and shorts all the time by running the ball twice . I don't think football translates as well into statistics and probabilities as baseball.
I tried the hockey version too and it was pretty weak I thought.
And yes, played the electro football games too...with the little felt football. Lol.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back