PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: 30/30 Celtics vs Lakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertWeathers

Member of the Seattle 7 & Roadie for Metallica
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Love the commentary. Magic, Bird, Rambis, Worthy and KAJ.

Such an emphasis on race as a major aspect of the rivalry.

Typical ESPN

Anyone else watching?

Schitt, forgot about this.... Hopefully it'll be on demand

Maxwell...LOL. On '84 Game 7:

"Yeah, Worthy would go on to become a better player than me, but at this moment I had him in my back pocket."

Regards,
Chris

There is nothing racist in calling someone, "Cornbread"

There is nothing racist in calling someone, "Cornbread"
His buddy, who is also an African American, gave him that nickname after a basketball movie title, so no race card here fella.

I DO recall Cedric saying something like "that woman needs to go back to the kitchen and make me some bacon and eggs" about a female official. I laughed my ass off.

Typical ESPN

Anyone else watching?

If you listened to the podcast interview that Simmons did with Ice Cube 1-2 weeks ago you'd hear that from his POV the emphasis on race was always there but simply not perceived that much (if at all) in Boston. I don't see how you can tell a story of those games without it.

It is kinda funny how the reactions about the documentary diverge based on location. From what I have seen on twitter & co most Boston fans are like "I am just here for the sport" whereas many people from LA like the combination of it all. It is sad how in a way nothing changed.

If you listened to the podcast interview that Simmons did with Ice Cube 1-2 weeks ago you'd hear that from his POV the emphasis on race was always there but simply not perceived that much (if at all) in Boston. I don't see how you can tell a story of those games without it.

It is kinda funny how the reactions about the documentary diverge based on location. From what I have seen on twitter & co most Boston fans are like "I am just here for the sport" whereas many people from LA like the combination of it all. It is sad how in a way nothing changed.
I was a teenager in the early 80s so race wasn't something I was interested in exploring. I just wanted to play hoop, watch the Celts and drink beer.

As I watch this show there is no doubt it added a huge undercurrent to this rivalry.

...and Larry and Magic couldnt care less about each other's skin color.

I was a teenager in the early 80s so race wasn't something I was interested in exploring. I just wanted to play hoop, watch the Celts and drink beer.

As I watch this show there is no doubt it added a huge undercurrent to this rivalry.

I think they themselves didn't care, but I definitely heard Larry referred to as 'the great white hope' by some fans back in the day.

This is one of those moments where it'd be nice to have an ESPN subscription, but I'm not going to pay hundreds a month just because I want to watch a show every so often. This is where cable has their business model all screwed up. I'd gladly pay more than what I'd pay for a crappy Hollywood movie to see this program, but that just ain't an option. No wonder there's so much piracy out there.

I put on 30 for 30 and there was a show about Mad Dog Russo and Francesa so I turned the channel. It must have come on after.
Will definitely wait until it's on demand so I can skip through commercials (if any).

I think they themselves didn't care, but I definitely heard Larry referred to as 'the great white hope' by some fans back in the day.

This is one of those moments where it'd be nice to have an ESPN subscription, but I'm not going to pay hundreds a month just because I want to watch a show every so often. This is where cable has their business model all screwed up. I'd gladly pay more than what I'd pay for a crappy Hollywood movie to see this program, but that just ain't an option. No wonder there's so much piracy out there.

Yep- Larry was and he avoided that stigma like the plaque

Yea it seemed to be a theme in the early 80s. I remember when Gerry Cooney ws dubbed the Great White Hope when he fought Larry Holmes. Of course, Holmes destroyed him.

Anyone know where I could download this?

Whatever happened to that game they used to play in the 80's with a round ball? The game with the hard fouls, banging and razor sharp passing to avoid getting planted? Love the close hanger on Rambis by McHale. No technical foul called. And then James Worthy (who was a beast of a player) takes out Maxwell like Rodney used to take out Marvin Harrison while Max was going in for a jam.

In todays game that would be 'outrageous'. Back then it was called a foul.

Clevelands only chance was to play more physical but the NBA is much too soft compared to those days. LMAO at Bird telling Dr J he should retire.

Typical ESPN

Anyone else watching?
It was a great look back at the era of hard team play. Really hit home why I don't watch the NBA much these days.

It was a great look back at the era of hard team play. Really hit home why I don't watch the NBA much these days.

It was.

I had forgotten how awesome the 1984 Finals were.

His buddy, who is also an African American, gave him that nickname after a basketball movie title, so no race card here fella.

I DO recall Cedric saying something like "that woman needs to go back to the kitchen and make me some bacon and eggs" about a female official. I laughed my ass off.
Yes, and Maxwell pretty much got a free pass from the media....and I can only wonder why....

Yep- Larry was and he avoided that stigma like the plaque

Yea it seemed to be a theme in the early 80s. I remember when Gerry Cooney ws dubbed the Great White Hope when he fought Larry Holmes. Of course, Holmes destroyed him.
And Holmes and Cooney are now friends. Cooney runs some sort of charity for inner city kids in NJ and Larry Holmes is always there to help him out whenever asked....saw a great documentary about these two guys

It's very difficult for an old fart like me to watch a game now. I find myself yelling "stupid shot" on half of the shots taken. Red was correct. It should be 3 points for getting it to the hoop, not for throwing one up from downtown.

I was out in Milwaukee in '84, and in the hotel lobby they had Game 3 in LA on, and I of course was standing there watching and another dude started chatting about ball and I remember I said I wanted to see more DJ in the series...so after a while we both had to take off and as he left he said, "Hey, you know of course I'm into basketball" and he put his finger on his opposite arm.

I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. I just stared and he said, "You know...you know, man." My eyes widened. "I'm a brother, I'm black!" We both smiled as I nodded and understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes