PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: 2 Keys to SD victory over Dolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
2 Items I saw; I'm sure many of you play by play analyzers saw more; and better details but my 2 points:

1. SHUT DOWN THE EDGE; Notice how mortal Pay-me-a-ton looked once S.D took away the Edge from his game plan. I didnt necessarily see them playing 8 in the box; but they took away the run game, maintained pressure on peyton and got in his face. He was behind and high on a lot of throws as his frustration grew.

2. ON O; S.D. MADE A LOT OF MONEY RUNNING TO THE EDGES; Both L.T. and Turner made a lot of yards on runs and YACs on screens etc by getting outside and turning the corner on the Dolts. NOt sure if this was a special blocking scheme or guys like Freeney overpursueing the pocket.

So if things play out that we end up playing Dolts at some point; Can we take advantage of these points as well. With our healed DL; I think we can shut down their running game as well as S.D. did. The only questions are:

1. if we can agressively crash the pocket like we did the last 2 weeks. Too many times this season the strategy has seemed to be run up to a lineman and occupy space/contain rather than blow past and get to the QB. I guess I can understand that when you play M. Vick; but not anybody else.

2. Does Corey have the speed to turn the corner or do we need to use Faulk in that role?

Gumby said:
2 Items I saw; I'm sure many of you play by play analyzers saw more; and better details but my 2 points:

1. SHUT DOWN THE EDGE; Notice how mortal Pay-me-a-ton looked once S.D took away the Edge from his game plan. I didnt necessarily see them playing 8 in the box; but they took away the run game, maintained pressure on peyton and got in his face. He was behind and high on a lot of throws as his frustration grew.

2. ON O; S.D. MADE A LOT OF MONEY RUNNING TO THE EDGES; Both L.T. and Turner made a lot of yards on runs and YACs on screens etc by getting outside and turning the corner on the Dolts. NOt sure if this was a special blocking scheme or guys like Freeney overpursueing the pocket.

So if things play out that we end up playing Dolts at some point; Can we take advantage of these points as well. With our healed DL; I think we can shut down their running game as well as S.D. did. The only questions are:

1. if we can agressively crash the pocket like we did the last 2 weeks. Too many times this season the strategy has seemed to be run up to a lineman and occupy space/contain rather than blow past and get to the QB. I guess I can understand that when you play M. Vick; but not anybody else.

2. Does Corey have the speed to turn the corner or do we need to use Faulk in that role?

How bout this gem:

One team needed it, the other didn't.

Tony Collins said:
How bout this gem:

How about you shut you trollish mouth and get the hell out of this board?

Gumby said:

Actually, the Chargers really didn't exploit the edges. They showed a graphic late in the game, and about 95% of the runs were straight of the middle.

They did have a lot of short passes outside, but more to the wide outs.

Parker (before the injury), McCardell, and Gates exploited the middle of the field, underneath the drop-back defense, and weaving through the linebackers.

Last edited:
Tony Collins said:
How bout this gem:

Do you just go from thread to thread saying the same stupid thing over and over again?

I think that we can definately learn fron this game plan if we end up playing them. Wasn't this game plan similar to ours last year in the title game?

pats1: Actually, the Chargers really didn't exploit the edges. They showed a graphic late in the game, and about 95% of the runs were straight of the middle.

Went back and looked at play by play online and AGREED; most of the run plays went either up the middle 50% and off tackle 30% and only a couple to the ends.

I guess I didnt say it well. I just had the feeling that most of the big plays (10+ yards) SD hit came around those corners. That they were consistently hitting the inside runs maybe set the Dolts up to be cheating inside and let them get burned outside.

Or my spotty memory of the game is just playing tricks on me. Thanks for feedback.

I'd add loooooong, slow, sustained drives. One of SD's drives took almost 9 minutes off the clock. Paymetons goes nuts when he has to sit that long. Carson Palmer learned first hand that a rapid-fire shoot 'em out with the Dolts is no fun.

Tony Collins said:
How bout this gem:

I am sure we would never hear the end of a 16-0 Colts record. It is funny to hear the new spin that Colts fans are going to put on this now that the perfect season talk is over. It sure was hilarious to see the dolts lateralling all over the place at the end of the game in a desperate attempt to be perfect. :D

Gumby said:

A few things. Your run D and front seven is good, but I think the Chargers' is better. Jamal Williams is a better noseman than Wilfork, and the Chargers have more speed at linebacker. Colvin has looked pretty good lately, but I'm not sure how much of it is based on playing bad OLs like Buffalo and Tampa.

I am interested to see how Belichick plays against Manning. Does he play vanilla like usual against the Colts, or does he try to blitz like SD did.

I think it will be a great game.

I fear the Chargers used the defensive game plan BB had planned to use against Indy, and now BB is going to have to make some modifications. Clearly, SD exposed some serious weaknesses on the Colt's line. Unless Dungy is an idiot, it's unlikely we'll have the same success unless we do a few things differently. But what?

Patters said:
I fear the Chargers used the defensive game plan BB had planned to use against Indy, and now BB is going to have to make some modifications. Clearly, SD exposed some serious weaknesses on the Colt's line. Unless Dungy is an idiot, it's unlikely we'll have the same success unless we do a few things differently. But what?

I am thinking the same thing. However, the key to beating the colts is not just the scheme but the execution. You must stop the run and rattle Manning. Simple as that.

On the Colts..a few things to remember..Simon was out and so was Mathis ? for a large chunk of the game. The other thing to realize on the Colts OL..Ryan Diem left the game with a messed up MCL and the center also missed som significant playing time.

aabtec said:
On the Colts..a few things to remember..Simon was out and so was Mathis ? for a large chunk of the game. The other thing to realize on the Colts OL..Ryan Diem left the game with a messed up MCL and the center also missed som significant playing time.
Some fan at indystar claims that he's discovered that the oline was switched from a zone blocking scheme to a man on man scheme, and thinks that was the difference in the game. I'm not sure I've ever heard of changing blocking shcemes on a game by game basis, but then again, I never knew Indy was a zone blocking scheme to begin with.

coltshater said:
I am sure we would never hear the end of a 16-0 Colts record. It is funny to hear the new spin that Colts fans are going to put on this now that the perfect season talk is over. It sure was hilarious to see the dolts lateralling all over the place at the end of the game in a desperate attempt to be perfect. :D

Yeah, it reminded me of Doug Flutie one Monday night around 6 weeks ago.

pats1 said:
How about you shut you trollish mouth and get the hell out of this board?

Why yell at me ? Ask Pete Prisco.

By the way, we played them much better than you guys did. And you were trying.

Tony Collins said:
Yeah, it reminded me of Doug Flutie one Monday night around 6 weeks ago.

It also reminded me of an overrated QB trying to throw a meaningless touchdown at the end of the Divisional playoff game in January only to have it picked off. :eek:

Last edited:
coltshater said:
It also reminded me of an overrated QB trying to throw a meaningless touchdown at the end of the Divisional playoff game in January only to have it picked off. :eek:

And to think I've missed your first 18 posts.

Tony Collins said:
And to think I've missed your first 18 posts.
Tony, just say it......"it's not my fault....it's not my fault......." Come on, son, you're in pain. Say it with me......"it's not my fault."

Fellas, be careful with Tony. He's a fragile little bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes