PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT⁝ Free Agent Tackle Orlando Brown

I’ll be honest what I know about these players is what I read and hear. I just know we need an upgrade at the RT position. I’ll be happy with Mike or Collins.
I agree but Collins tore his ACL and MCL in late December so no idea when he is 100% healthy.

I think Phil Perry pointed out, you don't hire an offensive line coach to go sign a big ticket FA tackle.

I like Perry, but I'm not sure what he means by this. Every team has an OL coach, and while I think Klemm was a good hire, it's not like he's built a reputation already as some kind of OL whisperer. There's no guarantee he elevates lesser players the way Scar did, and the role of an OL coach goes beyond rookie development. It's also about fostering cohesion between the five guys. Orlando might be priced out of the Pats range, but if they signed him and drafted the RT Jones in the draft, they'd be setting Klemm up to succeed.

Dang. Looking at that it seems unlikely he’ll ever make a pro roster let alone see the field.
Watch the video linked earlier in the thread for an explanation. Not properly trained for the Combine and he apparently did better at his Pro day,

The pats have nobody on their roster making atleast 20 million APY. If they want to be superbowl contenders they will need 2-3 of those on their roster.

If they determine Brown is an elite LT there is no reason not to pursue him considering he won’t cost any draft capital & Mac is on a rookie deal.

The pats have nobody on their roster making atleast 20 million APY. If they want to be superbowl contenders they will need 2-3 of those on their roster.

If they determine Brown is an elite LT there is no reason not to pursue him considering he won’t cost any draft capital & Mac is on a rookie deal.
Good point.

Draft one instead. You'll own his rights for years on a cost controlled contract.

Assuming health, OL draft picks have a much higher success rate than most positions.

Draft one instead. You'll own his rights for years on a cost controlled contract.

Assuming health, OL draft picks have a much higher success rate than most positions.
Alex Barth a Patriots reporter has been preaching for months sign one draft one, I think he’s spot on.

Alex Barth a Patriots reporter has been preaching for months sign one draft one, I think he’s spot on.

Just posted this in another thread, but they need a starting tackle for 2023, and they need two starting tackles for 2024 (assuming Trent Brown is gone after this year). So signing one who can start right away opposite Trent for this year, while drafting a rookie who can step in for Trent in 2024 (kind of like how Nate Solder was the 3rd OT his rookie year, then slid in to LT when Light retired) would be my preference.

If they want a good value signing, let the Chiefs give Orlando the biggest contract in the league and sign their right tackle instead. Andrew Wylie is a really good player they could get on a reasonable deal and he would start immediately. Yosh Nijman from the Packers or Oli Udoh from the Vikings are also two good value free agents who could step in and start immediately. Don't overpay just because you can.

If they want a good value signing, let the Chiefs give Orlando the biggest contract in the league and sign their right tackle instead. Andrew Wylie is a really good player they could get on a reasonable deal and he would start immediately. Yosh Nijman from the Packers or Oli Udoh from the Vikings are also two good value free agents who could step in and start immediately. Don't overpay just because you can.

Ideal scenario for me: Sign a legit starting RT. The value will be better there, and you can leave Trent Brown at LT for one more year. Then you draft Broderick Jones at 14 (if he's still there), who has high upside but might need a year to refine his pro technique. He slides in to LT in 2024, and your starting tackles are set for a few years.

Pass on Orlando Brown.
I think Joe Thuney made Orlando Brown, Trent Brown and also Nate Solder look better. I think LG has big impact how well LT plays.

I'd prefer to spend that money on elite corner.

Too rich for my blood. I'd like us to use our cap space to retain some of our core - Onwenu, Dugger, Jonathan Jones - Myers if possible.

IF we're hoping that Mac's ceiling his possibly Drew Bledsoe's we have to put very good to great talent around him and that starts with the OL and a legit Left Tackle. It's obvious that Trent Brown is gone next year so as stated above if we make the splash and get Orlando Brown in FA and Draft a Rookie Swing Tackle we would be set for years to come.

I heard he had a pretty bad year, draft Broderick Jones.

Just posted this in another thread, but they need a starting tackle for 2023, and they need two starting tackles for 2024 (assuming Trent Brown is gone after this year). So signing one who can start right away opposite Trent for this year, while drafting a rookie who can step in for Trent in 2024 (kind of like how Nate Solder was the 3rd OT his rookie year, then slid in to LT when Light retired) would be my preference.
Freeland reminds me of this year's Nate.

Ideal scenario for me: Sign a legit starting RT. The value will be better there, and you can leave Trent Brown at LT for one more year. Then you draft Broderick Jones at 14 (if he's still there), who has high upside but might need a year to refine his pro technique. He slides in to LT in 2024, and your starting tackles are set for a few years.
easier said than done

We'll argue right up to Draft Day.
======================
However, as of now, it does look like we'll be able to get an OT starter with our first rounder. By mid-season, we should have the draftee and Brown as our starters.

My issue with our analyses in whether we'll sign a "significant" free agent at OT. My guess is that we won't.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back