PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT⁝ Free Agent Tackle Orlando Brown

Wynn isn’t coming back.

Then you’re not going to be able to sign him. He was pretty adamant about playing LT like his dad, that was one of the things that led to his trade from the Ravens to begin with.
Didn't we ignored the promise to Brown to play RT.

Promises don't mean much.

Just don't see us offering $20-25m a year to Orlando Brown. Sadly it's a bad year in free agency with hardly any top tier players.

A FA splash for a Left Tackle of his caliber count me in too. :cool:
The problem with a “splash” like Brown is that his performance doesn’t really match his hype and definitely doesn’t justify a 22+ million per year contract with a huge guarantee. He is a good starting OT. At times he has even been very good. For that money, though, I want a guy who is elite in pass protection and Brown isn’t. He is massive but is athletically challenged.

I am firmly in the draft an OT in the first (at 14 or after a trade down into the low 20) camp.

The problem with a “splash” like Brown is that his performance doesn’t really match his hype and definitely doesn’t justify a 22+ million per year contract with a huge guarantee. He is a good starting OT. At times he has even been very good. For that money, though, I want a guy who is elite in pass protection and Brown isn’t. He is massive but is athletically challenged.

I am firmly in the draft an OT in the first (at 14 or after a trade down into the low 20) camp.
I view Orlando Brown as a Need for us we have to build around Mac and that starts with the OL. There's only so many people that Size on the planet.

I view Orlando Brown as a Need for us we have to build around Mac and that starts with the OL. There's only so many people that Size on the planet.
He's very good but not a cornerstone LT.

Man, that’s a rough explanation from Schefter. Since Orlando Brown is not already a Bear, I’m assuming they aren’t willing to play Brown at LT and flip somebody else over to RT. Seems like he’s running out of suitors in a hurry, which means the price might be more reasonable than the $22M range some were predicting.

Pass on Orlando Brown.
I think Joe Thuney made Orlando Brown, Trent Brown and also Nate Solder look better. I think LG has big impact how well LT plays.
I disagree. Brown was really good in Baltimore, too - and he doesn't miss games. Iron man.
He's going to get $20+/per and he's earned it. I'd be thrilled if the Pats got him. Absolutely thrilled.

I disagree. Brown was really good in Baltimore, too - and he doesn't miss games. Iron man.
He's going to get $20+/per and he's earned it. I'd be thrilled if the Pats got him. Absolutely thrilled.

I wouldn't be thrilled exactly . maybe relieved since there arent many options left to solidify the line . and wo OL you have nothing.

I wouldn't be thrilled exactly . maybe relieved since there arent many options left to solidify the line . and wo OL you have nothing.
You said you wouldn't be thrilled, then posited exactly why I would be. Brown's the best tackle in FA this year, hands down. He plays 16+/season.
Rookies take years to develop and many, including highly rated OTs, simply don't develop.
Brown immediately makes the OL rock solid. Draft another pretty high, sure or go for someone like JM Schmitz or Joe Tippman and add great depth and development on the inside - either of them centering Strange and Onwenu would be great after Andrews retires. Until then, Brown-Strange-Andrews-Onwenu-T. Brown is solid.

Man, that’s a rough explanation from Schefter. Since Orlando Brown is not already a Bear, I’m assuming they aren’t willing to play Brown at LT and flip somebody else over to RT. Seems like he’s running out of suitors in a hurry, which means the price might be more reasonable than the $22M range some were predicting.

This is one of the main reasons that the Ravens traded him to KC. He was a very good RT for them but he wanted to move to LT, because that is where the big money is. I don’t buy the theory that he wanted to move to the left side because his dad was a LT.

There’s no way Bill is paying this guy when the LT class is deep and talented in this years draft.

This is one of the main reasons that the Ravens traded him to KC. He was a very good RT for them but he wanted to move to LT, because that is where the big money is. I don’t buy the theory that he wanted to move to the left side because his dad was a LT.
McGlinchy just got 5/87 at RT.

First of all, NFLDraftBites is a terrible Twitter account. His lowlight was a few years ago when he claimed to have a source saying that Odell Beckham was going to have a press conference to announce that’s he’s gay. Obviously that never happened. Not a good look.

But what’s important here is that Orlando Brown liked this tweet, which specifically mentions the Patriots and playing LT. Brown’s previous Twitter like before that is the story about Belichick getting Brown Sr. a suit.

Last edited:
The pats have nobody on their roster making atleast 20 million APY. If they want to be superbowl contenders they will need 2-3 of those on their roster.

If they determine Brown is an elite LT there is no reason not to pursue him considering he won’t cost any draft capital & Mac is on a rookie deal.
Here's the thing. You are correct, but short sighted in a sense. Think of this as a 2 year project. You add a solid prospect at in the top 3 rounds (Bergeron could be there in the 3rd) in the draft as well as a C/G prospect with one of the 4th rounders (and there will be a couple available) That will give us a capable OL which will be a HUGE upgrade over last year.

So this year we go with Brown, Strange, Andrews Owenu, and the winner of draft pick, Cajuste, McDermott, and Andrews. 2nd best guy gets to be the swing. THEN next year when WE become the Chicago Bears of the 2024 FA season we will have our pick of the best of the best to make a capable OL into a dominant one.

From what I have been led to believe is that THIS FA period had a weak OL/WR class, and was thin at the top in several other areas as well CB, TE, QB, etc. HOWEVER next year there will be a much richer and deeper WR group among other areas. So by years 4 and 5 of Mac's rookie contract he will have the kind of team around him that we can once again compete at a high level. Meanwhile THIS year we need to see significant improvement at QB (which I believe we will see). and hope we will be competing for a playoff berth the last few weeks of the season.

Here's the thing. You are correct, but short sighted in a sense. Think of this as a 2 year project. You add a solid prospect at in the top 3 rounds (Bergeron could be there in the 3rd) in the draft as well as a C/G prospect with one of the 4th rounders (and there will be a couple available) That will give us a capable OL which will be a HUGE upgrade over last year.

So this year we go with Brown, Strange, Andrews Owenu, and the winner of draft pick, Cajuste, McDermott, and Andrews. 2nd best guy gets to be the swing. THEN next year when WE become the Chicago Bears of the 2024 FA season we will have our pick of the best of the best to make a capable OL into a dominant one.

From what I have been led to believe is that THIS FA period had a weak OL/WR class, and was thin at the top in several other areas as well CB, TE, QB, etc. HOWEVER next year there will be a much richer and deeper WR group among other areas. So by years 4 and 5 of Mac's rookie contract he will have the kind of team around him that we can once again compete at a high level. Meanwhile THIS year we need to see significant improvement at QB (which I believe we will see). and hope we will be competing for a playoff berth the last few weeks of the season.

Surprising take from experienced football guy. And actually shortsighted from your part.

With below average borderline dysfunctional OL (weak links esp at LT, poor depth, new inexperienced coach...) you cant really expect “significant improvement“ from any QB. You dont want to put him in a position to succeed yet you NEED to see significant improvement? You do know the definition of insanity, right : ) Wanna waste another year of the only QB you ever drafted in first round? Wanna waste Judons tenure here and the rest? etc etc

Look at how Brady looked the moment OL had weak links this yr and last (and even then TB OL was still better than NE). And if he was thrown in dysfunctional situation like this as a rookie i wonder how much we would know about him. On the flip side everybody was making fun of Philly taking Hurts in second round. They put him behind dominant OL (also added WR1) and suddenly he looked like all pro. Do you think KC are stupid to invest so much in OL every year after they were burned few yrs ago and rather leave weaknesses on D? Everything in football goes through OL, you should know that. NE wasted two precious years of their first round QB with experiments/incompetence/failure of putting him in situation to succeed. This is not the way you're getting improvement, you're getting more and more frustrated QB and the locker room. (Meyers chose cheap Vegas offer over this situation etc.) If Bill was not Bill he would be gone.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back