PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OPINION: New England likely Lito Shepherd's '08 team

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://mvn.com/nfl-source/2008/04/09/trade-possibility-lito-sheppard/

To start the offseason out, the Eagles made what was widely considered the best free agent move, signing cornerback Asante Samuel to a monstrous six-year deal worth over $57 million. It was the talk of the first day of the signing period, and obviously will help the Eagles defense greatly. However, there does have to be an odd man out with this contract, and that man is none other than Lito Sheppard.

The twenty-seven year old Sheppard is very talented, often playing at a pro-bowl caliber level. He makes plays, batting balls down and making some interceptions, and also has good speed. He’s pretty small, but plays bigger than he is.

However, with that new contract on the books, the Eagles don’t want to keep two cornerbacks being payed a lot of money on their team. Sheppard isn’t exactly cashing in, but he’s paid pretty well.

Plus, they have Sheldon Brown, a cornerback who’s pretty reliable and capable of starting on the right side.

One of the biggest problems that teams have with Sheppard, including the Eagles, is that he’s very injury-prone, not playing a completely full season since 2003. He struggled with a sprained knee last season, only playing in eleven games. A player this unreliable may not be a number one cornerback in this league.

Also, Sheppard is demanding a new contract, wanting to be paid the money that the elite defensive backs are getting. Because he’s a playmaker, some teams will at least give him a raise, but I’m not sure if his asking price is realistic. The Eagles are not willing to give him a new deal, giving them even more reason to ship him away.

However, alongside with injuries, the Eagles asking price is a big potential problem. The latest reports have them asking for a first round pick, which no teams are going to give them. They claim that they’re getting offers like that, but there is no way.

That would then force them to ask for a second round pick, which many teams also won’t do considering Sheppard’s injury risk and contract situation. He’s a pretty good player, but with these uncertainties, I don’t think he’s worth it.

But, a team could still give them one. At worst, they should be able to get a third rounder. With all of the good reasons as to why he shouldn’t be on the team, I would have to think that they’d accept this.

Right now, there is some debate as to which teams are interested in Sheppard’s services because of those high demands Philadelphia is making.

The Redskins, with the possibility of Carlos Rogers starting the year on the PUP, are a plausible destination. However, they are looking to fill holes with the draft this year, and will most likely elect to trade for a worse, but cheaper cornerback, such as Fabian Washington of the Raiders.

The Browns are also a potential fit for Sheppard, after losing Leigh Bodden. But, they don’t have a pick until the fourth round, which obviously won’t get the deal done. It will be nearly impossible for them to give the Eagles enough.

The Rams have also been an interested party, with two injured cornerbacks. However, with the number two pick in the draft, they may not have the money to trade for Sheppard, especially if they are forced to give him a new contract so that he’s not unhappy.

New England is another suitor after losing Samuel to the Eagles. In my mind, they may be the most realistic team, with some cap room. They have Ellis Hobbs and picked up Fernando Bryant, but they may want to improve the area before their first round selection so that they can focus on other parts that they need to work on.

Even a team like the Saints could trade for Sheppard, although they’d much rather prefer to just pick one up with their first selection.

While the Eagles definitely want to trade Sheppard, its very difficult to predict who he’ll go to, if anyone, until the Eagles lower their asking price and talks can really pick up. Eventually, I think they’ll be forced to, and we’ll see some more rumors.

In the end, I believe that Lito Sheppard will be shipped to New England in exchange for their second round pick. Its not what the Eagles are currently looking for, but thats what I think they will get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: New England likely Lito Shepherd's '08 team

if they land shepard than this team is again a lock for the SB. Their defense would be vastly improved and still have that great offense. Shepard and Bryant are better than Samuel and Gay as a collective. Meaning that we have improved our worst CB and have pretty close to our best CB. Not to mention the improvments they made to the LB's lets all hold out hope for this move :rocker:

Last edited:

Unfortunately, the pats aren't into throwing big money contracts at players that don't make the entire defensive unit that much better as a whole.

Unfortunately, the pats aren't into throwing big money contracts at players that don't make the entire defensive unit that much better as a whole.

Moss was willing to take a cut his first year, maybe Lito would too, who knows.

Are you saying he's not an upgrade over Fernando Bryant, Jason Webster, a cornern we'd draft in the 3rd round, or Ellis Hobbs for that matter?

I would be fine with Shepard, Hobbs and Bryant as our top 3 CB heading into the season. However I can't help but think of Shepard as the sloppy seconds of Andy Reid and the Eagles after they signed Samuel. I don't want to trade a good draft choice and sign him to a lot of money just to fill the hole that Samuel's leaving created. It's a personal issue, it just feels wrong to me to have to trade for a guy if we end up paying him good money.

Are you saying he's not an upgrade over Fernando Bryant, Jason Webster, a cornern we'd draft in the 3rd round, or Ellis Hobbs for that matter?

When you toss in the extra $5 million or more that he'd want per season than Bryant or Webster will make, plus a draft pick, plus his missed games, I'll say that he's not an upgrade worth making.

Lito might do the same thing Moss did. Tear up his old contract

and sign a one year contract for $3 mil plus incentives and be a

free agent next year.

if they land shepard than this team is again a lock for the SB. Their defense would be vastly improved and still have that great offense. Shepard and Bryant are better than Samuel and Gay as a collective. Meaning that we have improved our worst CB and have pretty close to our best CB. Not to mention the improvments they made to the LB's lets all hold out hope for this move :rocker:

I'm in the camp with those who say, If we want to pay Lito Shepherd top tier money in a new contract, why not just pay Samuel and keep our 2nd round pick?

Also, I wouldn't say we've improved our linebackers. We lost Colvin and gained Hobson. We may draft some others, but we haven't yet. At best that's a wash, with Vrabel and Bruschi a each a year older.

I dunno, I'd rather have Bryant and Hobbs start and draft a CB with that 2nd round pick and hope by season's end he steps up. Something about Lito makes me nervous...

Lito might do the same thing Moss did. Tear up his old contract

and sign a one year contract for $3 mil plus incentives and be a

free agent next year.

No way. The Pats or any other team would not give up a 3rd round pick for Lito on a one year contract.

With Moss you're looking at a ridiculously higher upside and a 4th instead of a 3rd round pick.

I'm in the camp with those who say, If we want to pay Lito Shepherd top tier money in a new contract, why not just pay Samuel and keep our 2nd round pick?

Also, I wouldn't say we've improved our linebackers. We lost Colvin and gained Hobson. We may draft some others, but we haven't yet. At best that's a wash, with Vrabel and Bruschi a each a year older.

I dunno, I'd rather have Bryant and Hobbs start and draft a CB with that 2nd round pick and hope by season's end he steps up. Something about Lito makes me nervous...

I'm with you too, I see no reason to reach on a 2nd tier oft injured guy while giving up a potential 2nd round pick that we could use on someone more important to the team like a LB or young CB that we can get on a 4-5 year deal without paying him ridiculous money.

Throw my name in the hat for hoping that this does not happen.

Hmmmm no one is a lock for the Superbowl, common you should know that.

Hmmmm no one is a lock for the Superbowl, common you should know that.

Agreed. An undefeated offense that broke all kinds of records was essentially shut down by a defense that has one great unit and gets more and more average the further away from the line you go. :(

NOTHING in the NFL is a lock.

Dumb to say NE is a SB lock with Sheppard,While Sheppard is a very good player he is not a total defense improver IMO but a good piece to the puzzle,The whole defense must play at TOP level to get to where they want to go.

Besides everyone knows how complex the Patriots D schemes are and not every good player fits well and may struggle especially early in thier time here - Ask Adalius Thomas how hard it is to change teams and different defenses.

with the talent and rookies who may be on the draft board when we choose in round 3, i say no way

lito is good, but the upside of that rookie is just as good (and a LOT cheaper)

I'm in the camp with those who said there's no friggin' way Samuel was worth the money he wanted. Sheppard's the superior player, and in this system, he'd be a beast.

I'm in the camp with those who said there's no friggin' way Samuel was worth the money he wanted. Sheppard's the superior player, and in this system, he'd be a beast.

Sorry, but you're wrong on that one. Samuel did have the instinct to go the SportsCenter highlight interception, but he was all in all better than Sheppard. Maybe he didn't deserve the kind of money he got, but Samuel is one of the top three CBs in the league. Sheppard would be a good replacement, but he's not Asante Samuel.

Sorry, but you're wrong on that one. Samuel did have the instinct to go the SportsCenter highlight interception, but he was all in all better than Sheppard. Maybe he didn't deserve the kind of money he got, but Samuel is one of the top three CBs in the league. Sheppard would be a good replacement, but he's not Asante Samuel.

You are right, it is all about instincts with BB and Samuel had great instincts. However Samuel was also a bit of a gambler, and eventually gamblers can hurt your defense.

I am not so sure how Samuel is going to work out in the Philly Defense with all that blitzing going on up front, but I wish him the best as long as it is not against us.

At the rate he is breaking down, you would have to be a bonafide Jets fan to give Sheppard a long term deal. I think BB learned his lesson about trading for injured veteran CB's when he traded for Starks.

I think BB passes on Sheppard.

You are right, it is all about instincts with BB and Samuel had great instincts. However Samuel was also a bit of a gambler, and eventually gamblers can hurt your defense.

I am not so sure how Samuel is going to work out in the Philly Defense with all that blitzing going on up front, but I wish him the best as long as it is not against us.

At the rate he is breaking down, you would have to be a bonafide Jets fan to give Sheppard a long term deal. I think BB learned his lesson about trading for injured veteran CB's when he traded for Starks.

I think BB passes on Sheppard.

Actually, Samuel is at his best with a premier pass rush/blitz package. Any type of ball hawking CB is. I share your sentiments about his success as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes