on Pass Interference calls being reviewable

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen more than once the idea of making PI calls reviewable being talked
about. I really don't like that idea but maybe it is time to allow a review of a
game changing PI call. Maybe in best interest of all.

The reason there are 3 challenges is so things like a bad PI
call in the end zone doesn't give a team an underserved advantage.
No one wants the refs to decide a game ... it should be the players.
Perhaps PI calls within red zone and end zone should be reviewable.

No. Instead, PI should be handled like the college game, in which it is spot of the foul, or 15 yards, whichever is shorter, and an automatic first.

Last edited:
Can't make a judgement call reviewable. It just doesn't work.

You also can't go to the college rule which is just awful. You tackle WRs who beat you 50 yards down the field and there is barely any consequence.

There also should be no limit on successful challeges.

dhamz said:
You also can't go to the college rule which is just awful. You tackle WRs who beat you 50 yards down the field and there is barely any consequence.

I disagree. Pass interference is the one rule that breaks from the pattern in the NFL rulebook. All other penalties are a set amount of yardage from the spot of the foul, no matter how or where it occurred (while this yardage can be assessed from where the penalty occurred, it is never based on what the penalty caused), except for pass interference. It's an exception, and one that can have ridiculously unnecessary consequences. 15 yards and an automatic first down is a big hit, regardless of whether it was a 20 yard out or a 50 yard fly.

The one case where this might not work is in the last 2 minutes of the game, or perhaps on a hail mary pass. Still, I think it works better than the current system, and brings it more in line with the other penalties in the game

I think it should be reviewable.
Remember review means indisoputable evidence to overturn.

If it is COMMON that refs get fumbles, catches, sideline plays wrong and they are overturned, why wouldn't pass interference be just as common?
It happens fast, the ref must also be looking for the catch, and IMO many times judges pi based on where players end up after the play rather than how they got there. I think refs are many times out of position to have the best angle to make that call.

I think any honest NFL side judge would tell you pass interference is the toughest call they make, and many times its a guessing game.

It has turned into a case where some teams have a philosophy of throw it up into coverage and hope for the call. That makes it critical enough to review.

I think there are quite a few pi calls that would be overturned solely for the pass being uncatchable.

Also, how many times do potential pass int calls have a referees conference? Sounds like an unofficial review without slow motion or angles to me.

I dont know if it would be an even playing field, but Id support review to overturn a pi call, but not review to create a pi call (ie reviewing a non call for replay to call the penalty)

Maybe there should be an automatic ref review of any PI call that results either in a first-and-goal or a gain of, say, 30 yards or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes