PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OLine's 2-4 Record Crappiness Stabilized, 7 wins in a row now

Keep Karras there. Let Wynn be a backup. He needs to practice hard on his technique. Don't screw with success.

I don't disagree. but This is a staff that kept starting NKeal Harry last year because he was a first round pick. You think they'll bench a guy who will make 11m next year? This isn't the classic Patriots anymore, weird decisions happen now not based on merit.

I think you’ve nailed it regarding Big Mike, he needs to be on the right side. We’ve definitely seen that in the past where for whatever reason a guy just is much better on the right than on the left. The question is whether he can be on the edge and handle someone really quick rushing on that side. So far what I’ve seen tells me he can handle RT but it would be a worry some weeks, e.g., against Clowney. Long term I wouldn’t be shocked to see them move on from Mason, move Onwenu to his position, and go with a new RT. Let’s see what develops with Cajuste and Durant, so far it’s a dumpster fire with them for sure but I remember feeling that way about Cannon and he got it together for a few good years.

Regarding Ferentz I would have been shocked if you didn’t bring that up. All I can say is those pictures he must have must really be horrendous.

Why do we keep trying to move Onwenu who is a top10 RT ?? Just keep him there at RT and fill the guard positions. It's way easier to fill guard spots than tackle spots.

Per Reiss, the Patriot coaches believe Onwenu’s ceiling is higher at guard, so that’s where he’s playing. A lot of us would agree with that.
Don't tell me about ceilings. Use the lineup that keeps Mac Jones health intact. He's having a really nice start to his career as a rookie. Let's not end it early.

Don't tell me about ceilings. Use the lineup that keeps Mac Jones health intact. He's having a really nice start to his career as a rookie. Let's not end it early.

Agree. The OLine was pure trash for 6 weeks so just accept that it was oc staff idiocy to use those lineups. OLine looked very good this week with Onwenu at RT, period. Stop messing with it. Keep Michael Onwenu at right tackle.

Agree. The OLine was pure trash for 6 weeks so just accept that it was oc staff idiocy to use those lineups. OLine looked very good this week with Onwenu at RT, period. Stop messing with it. Keep Michael Onwenu at right tackle.

I'm sure they will, till Brown is ready to return. Then Onwenu goes back to G.

Our Patriots coaches, especially Josh McDaniels, optimize our OL abilities. The offense is geared to make these guys look good. I know it was only the Jets but I expect this OL to play really well over the 2nd half of the season. They played great last year. As Mac Jones improves, the OL improves. A quick release passing game improves the OL. It's axiomatic.

Look at what happens though when we lose OL who go elsewhere for decent contracts: Trent Brown, Nate Solder, Daniel Thomas, Ted Karras, Marcus Cannon. They underperform.

Joe Thuney is not playing well in KC. I'm not going to judge him yet since KC is devolving in general. But it may be yet again another example of a Patriot OL that is not as talented as his contract when he goes elsewhere.

I felt they thought Brown would have been back weeks ago, and that's why they were reluctant to shuffle the entire oline. Finally they got fed up of waiting.

Interesting call if/when Brown comes back. I think the coaching staff will need to figure out who is the bigger liability Wynn or Karras.....if they think it's Wynn, then I think we'll see Brown at LT and Onwenu at RT, if they think it's Karras then we'll have Wynn at LT and Brown at RT and Onwenu back at guard.

The O-Line improved by moving Onwenu to RT, by putting Karras at OG but also getting Mason back. It’s concerning Mason left the game injured again yesterday, probably reaggravated the same injury.

With all that being said, this wasn’t simply a case of new personnel fixing things, the O-Line simply wasn’t playing well earlier in the year. They were missing assignments, creating penalties that stalled drives or were simply getting beat.

As a unit they’re improving what was the biggest deficiency on this team… if this team stays healthy and continues to improve they’re as good as they want to be.

Ted Karras is so incredibly limited that I can't believe what I'm even reading on this board. It amazes me.

And yet the OLine has played well the last 2 weeks compared to the first 5 weeks. And Karras has barely given up any pressures. At what point do you ditch your hard coded views and look at actual on field production? Whatever you're using to think Durant or Herron should play RT is just wrong.

This is a great suggestion. Would the staff have the balls to move wynn to guard after extending him for 11m next year.

11m/per puts him somewhere in the #7-8 guard pay range.......not a huge deal.....it's not even Thuney money, and Thuney has looked below average in KC

11m/per puts him somewhere in the #7-8 guard pay range.......not a huge deal.....it's not even Thuney money, and Thuney has looked below average in KC
Has he really? That’s surprising

Has he really? That’s surprising

PFF is not the best, and OL is not real accurate to grade unless you have the play calls and blocking assignments, but for what it's worth Thuney is at a 70 overall

Ted Karras is so incredibly limited that I can't believe what I'm even reading on this board. It amazes me.
He's immobile, not quick enough, prevents the OL from running the amount of plays it can and should run. He can't pull. This limits the offense and limits the team. It's pretty obvious.

And yet the OLine has played well the last 2 weeks compared to the first 5 weeks. And Karras has barely given up any pressures. At what point do you ditch your hard coded views and look at actual on field production? Whatever you're using to think Durant or Herron should play RT is just wrong.

At one point do you drop your hate for certain players and look at what is going on when Karras plays. Watch Karras. He's incredibly limited. Any time he pulls, he whiffs and doesn't get to his block. It's a huge problem.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back