PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OLine's 2-4 Record Crappiness Stabilized, 7 wins in a row now

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
[OLine and elite defense have fueled a 7 game winning streak, but clowns want to troll, so let's do it]

Week8-9: OLine continues to play well with Onwenu at RT and Karras at LG, and Durant/Cajuste never seeing the field. Mac and the running game continue to play well. However, the oc confirmed on Tuesday's press conference he wants to move Onwenu back to LG when Trent Brown comes back (fire the idiot oc).

Week7: I f'ing told ya so. This OLine finally showed some stability with Onwenu at RT and Karras at LG in Week7. Mac Jones showed he is elite when not under constant pressure or taking bone-crushing QB hits like what happened the first 6 weeks. Running game can be elite especially rushing off-tackle-right behind Big Mike, Shaq, and Henry blocking. Karras has been playing great at guard after inexplicably not playing the first 5 weeks in favor for Durant/Herron. It took this slow/unintelligent offensive staff 6 weeks to stop playing crappy OLine lineups. Keep Onwenu at RT when Trent comes back.

Weeks1-6: Mac was almost knocked out in week6 by Gregory. Wynn hasn't played well all season. Durant, Wynn are ranked 49th, 50th in pass blocking. Cajuste unfortunately is a bad backup at RT. 12 QB hits and 4 sacks in week4, 18 QB hits week3, 9 QB hits week1. Mac Jones is running for his life every week. Our freaking 23-year old rookie QB already has a leg brace. Why was Karras sitting for 5 weeks? Why keep swapping out tackles mid-game for 6 games in a row, with Durant/Herron, then claim that continuity or chemistry are important.

This OLine coach Bricillo was a D3 coach before coming here, he's in way over his head. Trotting out a crappy OLine every week, is also on the purview of this overrated OC.

Play Michael Onwenu at RT, he is a top10 NFL RT. Karras is the best bench guy, play him at guard. Play Herron at LT if Trent Brown is out. Durant/Cajuste should never play, period. Trent is a better pass blocker than run blocker, ideal for LT not RT. Wynn hasn't been satisfactory at LT and will make $10m next year. Herron seems like an ok backup LT and a terrible RT.

If Trent is Out: Wynn - Karras - Andrews - Mason - Onwenu
If Trent is Back: Trent - Wynn - Andrews - Mason - Onwenu.

Evidence:

PFF article: Michael Onwenu was a Top10 NFL RT in 2020

"Once Scarnecchia saw the talent, thought left tackle was the best fit for Trent Brown."... Brown had been a right tackle with the 49ers, but once Scarnecchia watched him daily in practice, the move to the left side was obvious.

The only team to ever rush for negative yards in a game in the last 50 years, are still the 2021 mcD Pats and a couple of the most pathetic Detroit Lions teams in history. And the offense only executed 50 snaps against the Cowboys after repeatedly generating 3-and-out failed drives in 11-personnel.

Last edited:
It's gonna be Durant. I liked the idea of putting Karras in and moving Onwenu outside, but the team seems to have prioritized stability over getting the best 5 players on the field. Maybe it's the right call, as Brown will likely return soon.

I'd rather see Cajuste over Durant, though. It's just that Durant was practicing at RT earlier this week so I'm not counting on Cajuste being the pick. Even though Durant didn't look amazing, he at least looked a bit better than Herron.

For one week, only to go back to the original lineup in week 3? No.

If Brown were out for multiple weeks it would make more sense, but having practiced on Friday leads me to believe he'll be back for the Saints.

I'm curious why you think Durant is "bad". Right now he's an unknown.

I'm curious why you think Durant is "bad". Right now he's an unknown.

Only that Andy Reid wouldn't use him in The Super Bowl despite one of the worst performances for an offensive line in almost history of the game.

So FWIW Andy Reid thought Durant was worse than those backups nine months ago.

Not enough to judge, but we know that.

Only that Andy Reid wouldn't use him in The Super Bowl despite one of the worst performances for an offensive line in almost history of the game.

So FWIW Andy Reid thought Durant was worse than those backups nine months ago.

Not enough to judge, but we know that.

Fair point, but he was also a rookie and I think would have been making his first career start in the Super Bowl, so I don't read into that too too much. I don't know the exact circumstances around the guys that DID play though, so they could have been equally inexperienced.

It's gonna be Durant. I liked the idea of putting Karras in and moving Onwenu outside, but the team seems to have prioritized stability over getting the best 5 players on the field. Maybe it's the right call, as Brown will likely return soon.

I'd rather see Cajuste over Durant, though. It's just that Durant was practicing at RT earlier this week so I'm not counting on Cajuste being the pick. Even though Durant didn't look amazing, he at least looked a bit better than Herron.

I hear ya. Just very weird to keep Karras on the bench. Durant and Cajuste and Herron suck, they should not be playing snaps on Sundays.

I hear ya. Just very weird to keep Karras on the bench. Durant and Cajuste and Herron suck, they should not be playing snaps on Sundays.

Maybe because the Jete interior DL is better than their ends? Also, we're playing the Jete.

Cajuste was on the injury report this week with a hammy... was listed as questionable...

It seems that Belichick prefers Durant as a starter to Karras.

OPTION 1
LG Onwenu
RT Durant
C/G backup - Karras

OPTION 2
LG - Karras
RT - Onwenu
C/G backup - to be brought up from the PS
=======
I think that we know that Belichick doesn't want to switch Onwenu back to OG if there is an injury at C or OG.

It seems that Belichick prefers Durant as a starter to Karras.

OPTION 1
LG Onwenu
RT Durant
C/G backup - Karras

OPTION 2
LG - Karras
RT - Onwenu
C/G backup - to be brought up from the PS
=======
I think that we know that Belichick doesn't want to switch Onwenu back to OG if there is an injury at C or OG.

It's just bizarre to have Karras who started in Miami continue to sit behind 2 total scrubs Durant or Herron. Makes more sense to play Karras at guard and they have a bonus from the sky that Onwenu is an elite RT.

Per Reiss, the Patriot coaches believe Onwenu’s ceiling is higher at guard, so that’s where he’s playing. A lot of us would agree with that.

Looking ahead..........
"With the Patriots 1st round pick in the 2022 draft, the team chooses offensive tackle _____________."

It's close call.....Starting caliber OT vs starting caliber DB

My 2 cents: Get Mac quality/long term protection at a plug and play position vs drafting more of a crap shoot position=DB (at least for NE)
------------------------------------------
Hopefully we won't be saying "At least Trent Brown gave us one good series this year" when week 18 is in the rear view mirror

According to Reiss, he thinks it will be Durant starting at RT against the Jets. Makes sense with Cajuste not fully healthy and Herron having a rough game last week, he is our best option. Owenu said this week that he hasn't practiced at Tackle this spring and with him playing great at guard the first game, lets see how Durant does this week.

Last edited:
It i
It's just bizarre to have Karras who started in Miami continue to sit behind 2 total scrubs Durant or Herron. Makes more sense to play Karras at guard and they have a bonus from the sky that Onwenu is an elite RT.

It is bizarre because you apparently you disagree with Belichick's assessment that Onwenu is much better as a guard, and should continue to develop at that position. It is not clear that Belichick has any interest in Onwenu playing RT. That situation has been a dream of posters here (including me).

Consider Onwenu a top guard, who can play RT in an emergency, and the situation will not seem so bizarre.

We have solid situations in the interior OL, with 3 starters and Karras a backup for all three positions. There is no NEED to change this.

The ISSUE is, and has been, at OT. That is the question. Bill has decided that Onwenu is NOT the answer. Many of us think that Bill overvalues the backups at OT. Bill signed Durant, who we immediately disliked, much like Eluemunor in the past.

It i

It is bizarre because you apparently you disagree with Belichick's assessment that Onwenu is much better as a guard, and should continue to develop at that position. It is not clear that Belichick has any interest in Onwenu playing RT. That situation has been a dream of posters here (including me).

Consider Onwenu a top guard, who can play RT in an emergency, and the situation will not seem so bizarre.

We have solid situations in the interior OL, with 3 starters and Karras a backup for all three positions. There is no NEED to change this.

The ISSUE is, and has been, at OT. That is the question. Bill has decided that Onwenu is NOT the answer. Many of us think that Bill overvalues the backups at OT. Bill signed Durant, who we immediately disliked, much like Eluemunor in the past.

The Pats practiced the contingency of Onwenu at RT in preseason. So it's been considered. And he had Onwenu at RT most of last year. So don't presume this is set. Perhaps the late trade of Durant changed things and they want to first see if it will work. Fast forward, this won't work.

Per Reiss, the Patriot coaches believe Onwenu’s ceiling is higher at guard, so that’s where he’s playing. A lot of us would agree with that.

Onwenu was a real find. But as we all saw last week, the OLine wasn't great. If a guy can play top10 RT, I would put him at the more important spot (RT instead of LG). This OLine is going to continue to underperform by plugging in really bad bench players at RT.

Man did I kill that draft. We took 7 prospects off my PTP board. 7!

Onwenu, Uche, Dugger, Bryant, Lewerke, Asiasi & Keene

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back