PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OLine's 2-4 Record Crappiness Stabilized, 7 wins in a row now

It's also about some really, Really bad line play.

I'm one of those "slow ones" who wanted Brown at LT (the position where he, you know, won a ring), Wynn/Lose moved to LG (aka his NATURAL position) and Onwenu staying on the Right side where he Belongs... Not our fault that the coaches didn't have the foresight to give them snaps there during the offseason.

It was kinda dumb...on the part of Bill, Skippy & Brick.
Brown was the 3rd best OL'm on the team that year and hasn't done anything since. People have overvalued him and continue to do so.

Also with respect it's hard to take you seriously even though I like you Capt. The other day you were trying to say Thuney covered up Wynn last year but couldn't elaborate on that thought to save your life.

Do what you're good at man. Stick to making up nicknames and kissing off homers. The last part is gods work around here.

Bricillo came from Youngstown State and has nothing to do with any Patriot championships. And I'm also talking about fake experts on here who have been flat out wrong when it comes to talent evaluation.

Bricillo was trained by Dante Scarnecchia, hired for and works for Bill Belichick. I’m good with that. He did a hell of a job this week didn’t he?

If you think someone posting on a message board is an “expert” that’s your first mistake.

I'd expect from what we know today, Onwenu will be good to go this week. (unsure on Wynn, Mason)
So, starting with decent T play from what we saw last week, I think we should see this:
Herron - Onwenu - Andrews - Karras - Cajuste

DAL D is much better than HOU though. So, who knows if Herron & Cajuste can keep up on the edges.
But Karras showed he's one of the 5 best OL we have right now. He played full time C for the last 2 years. If Mason returns at RG, I'd like to see Karras at LG, and maybe Onwenu back to RT if Cajuste is too inconsistent.
E. Lazar agrees, this could be the best option this week if Onwenu & Mason are okay:
Herron - Karras - Andrews - Mason - Onwenu

It's just such an enigma right now.

I'd expect from what we know today, Onwenu will be good to go this week. (unsure on Wynn, Mason)
So, starting with decent T play from what we saw last week, I think we should see this:

DAL D is much better than HOU though. So, who knows if Herron & Cajuste can keep up on the edges.
But Karras showed he's one of the 5 best OL we have right now. He played full time C for the last 2 years. If Mason returns at RG, I'd like to see Karras at LG, and maybe Onwenu back to RT if Cajuste is too inconsistent.
E. Lazar agrees, this could be the best option this week if Onwenu & Mason are okay:

Yep... A couple of things we do know:

Cachoo's a better RT than either Herron or Durant;
Herron's a better LT than he is a RT;
and Durant ****ing Sucks as a RT... His only hope for an NFL future is at RG... Why Billy traded Anything At All for this non-athletic slob is beyond any reasonable explanation.

Im talking about post snap.
This is what you wrote Andy ...
"Ive never known of OL play based upon relying on verbal communication"

You didn't say anything about pre/post. It's more than obvious players aren't talking or communicating that much, if at all, post-snap besides a four letter word if they get beat. Again this usually goes unspoken and is a given.
Of course they communicate presnap but that’s not going to help picking up stunts and delayed blitzes.
I didn't see this until now but wow is this way off. I'm surprised to see this. Of course it does. Why do you think OL'm spend hours in film study each week? To not communicate and ID things before they happen? A few obvious examples.

If you're playing Zimmer you def want your interior on alert. C & G might be working together a little more than normal. You want to be on the same page bc of what you're probably going to see.

Same if one side looks overloaded, personnel lined up in a particular spot. You know there's design coming.

Or if a rusher lines up outside the DE. Now the G & T have to be on the same page. In a lot of cases the G is now taking the DE with tackle taking whoever is lined up outside of him.

Same with protection rules for different situations. If your QB goes to empty, protection rules change. You might have go from BOB, Slide, Bump rules all in one half.

So communication between the line helps with all that stuff. You still have to react and handle it but communication absolutely helps with picking up on this stuff before it happens. Getting on the same page is key for everyone on the line.

This is what you wrote Andy ...
"Ive never known of OL play based upon relying on verbal communication"

You didn't say anything about pre/post. It's more than obvious players aren't talking or communicating that much, if at all, post-snap besides a four letter word if they get beat. Again this usually goes unspoken and is a given.

I didn't see this until now but wow is this way off. I'm surprised to see this. Of course it does. Why do you think OL'm spend hours in film study each week? To not communicate and ID things before they happen? A few obvious examples.

If you're playing Zimmer you def want your interior on alert. C & G might be working together a little more than normal. You want to be on the same page bc of what you're probably going to see.

Same if one side looks overloaded, personnel lined up in a particular spot. You know there's design coming.

Or if a rusher lines up outside the DE. Now the G & T have to be on the same page. In a lot of cases the G is now taking the DE with tackle taking whoever is lined up outside of him.

Same with protection rules for different situations. If your QB goes to empty, protection rules change. You might have go from BOB, Slide, Bump rules all in one half.

So communication between the line helps with all that stuff. You still have to react and handle it but communication absolutely helps with picking up on this stuff before it happens. Getting on the same page is key for everyone on the line.
I think cutting sentences out of context and not reading the entire discussion has caused you to argue with yourself.
Nothing you said here is different than anything I am saying, other than the film study is to know how to react in the situation not to have a conversation about it before the play.

As I said communication after the snap is pointless and blaming the inexperience guy in between the 2 experienced guys for presnap communication issues is silly.

Chill out a bit and actually read what is being discussed and you won’t have to act all offended.

Bricillo was trained by Dante Scarnecchia, hired for and works for Bill Belichick. I’m good with that. He did a hell of a job this week didn’t he?

If you think someone posting on a message board is an “expert” that’s your first mistake.

Nope you're wrong. It was POPOVICH who trained with Scar since 2015 and got all that solid training, Bricillo randomly joined in 2019 from a crappy losing-record no-name college in Youngstown State and clearly is in way over his head as a NFL OLine coach this season by himself without Popovich there.

If Wynn and Brown are out then yes this should be the lineup. Great suggestion:

If Wynn and Brown are out then yes this should be the lineup. Great suggestion:

And if ALL of Wynn, Brown AND Mason are still out, then this should be the starting lineup:

Herron - Karras - Andrews - Onwenu - Cachoo

EDIT: Onwenu still out... New Plan A therefore, unfortunately:

Herron - Thanksdad - Andrews - Karras - Cachoo

Last edited:
Nope you're wrong. It was POPOVICH who trained with Scar since 2015 and got all that solid training, Bricillo randomly joined in 2019 from a crappy losing-record no-name college in Youngstown State and clearly is in way over his head as a NFL OLine coach this season by himself without Popovich there.

Why bother making an argument if you just make things up?

Why bother making an argument if you just make things up?

Why don't you look it up instead of reply without knowing. Popovich was with Scar since 2015. Bricillo only joined in Scar's last year. Popovich was the main protege. And it's even more evident this season with Bricillo only. Please continue to elaborate on how Bricillo is a good coach and that the OLine isn't bad.

And if ALL of Wynn, Brown AND Mason are still out, then this should be the starting lineup:

Sounds like Onwenu is back on Friday

I like THANKSDAD much more than most posters here...

Why don't you look it up instead of reply without knowing. Popovich was with Scar since 2015. Bricillo only joined in Scar's last year. Popovich was the main protege. And it's even more evident this season with Bricillo only. Please continue to elaborate on how Bricillo is a good coach and that the OLine isn't bad.

That’s the problem, I DO look it up when I don’t know. Popovich was in the staff but not working with Scarnecchia. He was a coaching assistant until 2019 when he was assistant running backs coach.
He and Bricillo were co OL coaches in 2020 after Bricillo came in and worked with Scarnecchia in 2019.
I don’t know why you challenge me every time I call you out, because I do it when you are wrong, and keep repeating the same wrong thing, then after I prove you wrong you give a half hearted wrong reply then go on to argue that even though the facts were wrong McDaniels still sucks.

Sounds like Onwenu is back on Friday

O-line getting some good news this week:

My updated Plan A, ass-uming that Onwenu is activated and Wynn & Mason are again both ruled out:

There is no Plan B from Outer Space; these are our 5 best available OLmen, period.

My updated Plan A, ass-uming that Onwenu is activated and Wynn & Mason are again both ruled out:

There is no Plan B from Outer Space; these are our 5 best available OLmen, period.

Yeah if Mason is still out then I agree. I wasn't really watching Cajuste last week, was hyper focusing on Herron who surprised me at LT. But I don't remember any glaring issues at RT last week so maybe Cajuste is.... ok. At some point I would rather just plant Michael Onwenu at right tackle and leave him there for the next 11 years as that RT anchor. I'm generally not a big fan of paying up for guards (any guard) so would rather keep Onwenu at RT and then pay him good money when his rookie contract ends.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back